< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Your Next Open Gun... a HIPOINT??  (Read 3054 times)

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
Your Next Open Gun... a HIPOINT??
« on: August 04, 2014, 12:55:54 PM »
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Your Next Open Gun... a HIPOINT??
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 06:24:10 PM »
My shooting buddy uses a .45 HighPoint and I've put about 50 rounds through it.  Well balanced, smooth trigger pull.  He's going to get a 9MM version.  I've suggested that he get the 9MM carbine as well, and focus on just one caliber of bullet.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 06:51:55 PM »
I love the optic (EOTech?) they have on it. Too funny!

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 09:04:54 PM »
Well balanced, smooth trigger pull. 

That's the first time I've ever heard a Hi-Point trigger described THAT way.

I must admit, the first time I saw a Hi-Point in real life, I thought it was a joke.  Seriously, I thought some theater major with no real knowledge of guns took some modeling plastic and made a production prop.  A really bad production prop.

I haven't shot one, but I have held one, worked the action, and tried the trigger. 

Truthfully, I'm pretty sure that this gun is more accurate, more reliable, and has a better trigger:

Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 10:53:27 PM »
Love it "May have to ditch the 1911".
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 05:33:00 AM »
Personally I'm neutral about HiPoints.  But if I was going drop 4g's on a gun I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be a tricked out HiPoint. :laugh:

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 08:13:13 AM »
i have owned 2 different hi points
a 9mm handgun and a 9mm carbine

I wish I still owned the carbine, what a blast of a plinker, never once did it ever jam or have any failures, ugly? well yea, but great gun, the local small varmit population did not like it...

the handgun, yes they are ugly, but other then that why the hate toward them from people who admit to have never shot one?
Yea its heavy and a tad ugly, but it shot straight went bang EVERY time I pulled the trigger, never ever had a failure with weapon and when I bought it it was only like $120.

i thought the video was funny and I agree the idea of putting $4000 of work into a $150 gun is odd, but who cares, more power to whoever did it with their own money

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 09:03:33 AM »
I'm pretty sure the hate of HiPoints comes from:
  • They have a horribly gritty and heavy trigger pull
  • They have terrible sights that are a pain to use
  • They are very heavy compared to most other modern polymer framed handguns
  • They aren't well balanced and thus more difficult to manipulate and "point"
  • They have bad ergonomics and are uncomfortable for most shooters to use at speed
  • They have a small magazine capacity

That said if you only have a couple hundred bucks... It's about all you're gonna be able to afford in a semi-auto.

What confuses me is the people that own 10+ HiPoints and then claim they didn't have the money for anything else..... What?

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 09:16:02 AM »
the handgun, yes they are ugly, but other then that why the hate toward them from people who admit to have never shot one?
Yea its heavy and a tad ugly, but it shot straight went bang EVERY time I pulled the trigger, never ever had a failure with weapon and when I bought it it was only like $120.

Why the hate?  Probably due to the horrible trigger, and the extremely long list of malfunctions and breakages that have been documented regarding this pistol.

I'm not really arguing the gun, actually----some people can't afford much gun, and a $120 Hi-Point can work for self-defense.  Rule #1 of a gun fight is "bring a gun," and if all you can afford is a $75 Lorcin or something similar, then that's better than a sharp stick.  And when it malfunctions, you can always use it as a hand weight when you hit the guy.

If that is all a person can afford, they aren't going to be spending money to practice with it, so it isn't going to be shot much.  As such, it won't have much wear so that if it is needed it will probably work. 

(Though I'll note I keep reading comments from people along the lines of "now shot 142 rounds of steel case and brass case fmj thru it with 1 double feed and 1 failure to feed - pretty reliable in my book" it makes me realize that I have different standards for "reliable" than some folks.)

That being said, for someone who is actually planning on shooting regularly---practicing, dryfiring, and becoming competent with their firearm---I wouldn't suggest one.  After all, you want something with a known reputation for reliability, accuracy, and above all, not breaking when you shoot a lot of rounds through it.

When I periodically read a comment from a Hi-Point owner who loves his/her gun, that says he's never had problems, it's always been reliable----great!  Glad it has worked out.  However, comparing that single data point to the vast number of Hi-Points that have had problems....nope.  Just wouldn't go there.

Note:  That is the handgun, not the carbine. 

I'll note that the original video was a dig on Salient Arms various guns, in which they take a stock gun like a $500 Glock 19, and "upgrade" it (including their gold barrel) to a $2500 gun.  Or more.  Dynamic Pie Concepts was NOT serious about this.

People are welcome to come shoot their Hi-Points at any competition around here---if they are solid, accurate, and reliable, that would be a great gun to use for Steel Challenge!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 01:01:21 PM by jthhapkido »

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 09:55:15 AM »

I'll note that the original video was a dig on Salient Arms various guns, in which they take a stock gun like a $500 Glock 19, and "upgrade" it (including their gold barrel) to a $2500 gun.  Or more.  Dynamic Pie Concepts was NOT serious about this.

People are welcome to come shoot their Hi-Points at any competition around here---if they are solid, accurate, and reliable, that would be a great gun to use for Steel Challenge!

Really!?!  Darn it!  No wonder there was so much snickering at other end of the line when they took my CC#.  I really wanted one too.  If it's good enough for Stoeger and Proctor, it's good enough for me. 
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2014, 11:27:07 AM »
Really!?!  Darn it!  No wonder there was so much snickering at other end of the line when they took my CC#.  I really wanted one too.  If it's good enough for Stoeger and Proctor, it's good enough for me. 

I'm hoping to get Proctor out here to teach a class sometime---he can really shoot, and I hear that his teaching is solid.

Beside, he has now appeared in a Dynamic Pie Concepts video.  FAMOUS!

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2014, 11:51:43 AM »
My shooting buddy uses a .45 HighPoint and I've put about 50 rounds through it.  Well balanced, smooth trigger pull.  He's going to get a 9MM version.  I've suggested that he get the 9MM carbine as well, and focus on just one caliber of bullet.

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2014, 12:01:40 PM »
I'm hoping to get Proctor out here to teach a class sometime---he can really shoot, and I hear that his teaching is solid.

Beside, he has now appeared in a Dynamic Pie Concepts video.  FAMOUS!

Cool!  Will he bring his Hi-Point I wonder? 

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2014, 12:59:52 PM »
Cool!  Will he bring his Hi-Point I wonder? 

Oddly enough, I'm doubting it.

No, wait a second, I'm SURE he will.  After all, if he is ditching his 1911 for it, you know he's gonna actually use it for concealed carry.  AND competition shooting.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2014, 04:38:03 PM »
I still think a Saturday Night Special division in USPSA would be awesome.  Nothing but Jennings,  Lorcins, Hi Points, etc.

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2014, 05:07:00 PM »
I still think a Saturday Night Special division in USPSA would be awesome.  Nothing but Jennings,  Lorcins, Hi Points, etc.

Would you be required to carry it in your pants without a holster and shoot it with the sights and grip parallel to the ground?

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2014, 08:54:07 AM »
Would you be required to carry it in your pants without a holster and shoot it with the sights and grip parallel to the ground?

Of course.  And instead of the Stand By command the RO will yell "Break yo self, fool!".

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2014, 09:03:40 AM »
required attire will be sweat pants 3 sizes larger than you should wear and a t shirt that hangs to your knees

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2014, 02:23:12 PM »
Truthfully, I'm pretty sure that this gun is more accurate, more reliable, and has a better trigger:

You take it.  I'll keep the HiPoint!

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2014, 03:20:27 PM »
You take it.  I'll keep the HiPoint!

For what that Liberator is worth you could buy a whole brace of HiPoints.