< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: We have rules people!  (Read 1971 times)

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
We have rules people!
« on: August 07, 2014, 11:45:50 PM »
It's me again.  The "Rule Nazi".

So I was at the range on Tuesday.  A couple of guys show up and test their skills at drawing from concealment.  They had a timer and were finding out how their carry choices worked.  That's all good.  After shooting, they asked if the range could go cold so they could scrounge for their brass.  I already had the magazine removed, gun laying port side up, with slide locked back, and I also needed to grab some brass forward of the firing line so I agreed with a verbal "Range is Cold". 

As I was standing forward of the firing line looking for brass I look up and see one of the guys holding his gun, doing...whatever.  I immediately stepped back behind the line and asked them if the range was still cold.  He replied in the affirmative and put the gun down, so I stepped forward of the line again.  Ok...people forget.  And even I, the rule nazi, have goofed up.  No big deal.  The next thing I see when I look up is them grabbing their gun cases and walking to their vehicle.  So the gun had to be handled at some point since it didn't get in the case all by itself.  The only possible explanation is that when he set it down, it was in the case so no further handling was necessary.  Though I don't believe it was in its case when he set it down.

They were walking away so I didn't say anything, but if they did not leave I would have politely reminded them that a "Cold" range means NO ONE handles their firearm.  I guess some people missed that during basic range etiquette not to mention the range orientation discussion of the safety rules.

If that was you at the range, could you please not do that again? I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Re: We have rules people!
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 07:41:30 AM »
Fly:

It's possible that these guys don't even know the rules.

Most definitely NOT excusing them (not my job and wouldn't ever do it anyhow).

And then, it's also possible that they could also be Careless Inconsiderate Reckless #$@%$s.

Maybe both.

Turns out, a lotta folks bought firearms in the past few years.   Some of them went to classes and became responsible firearms owners.   Like our Forum members.

Then there are the Others.   Like the Ones you've described.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 07:52:16 AM »
Lots of new firearms owners, but I've seen a lot of "experienced" gun owners with really bad safety practices too.  Some people just think they know better and don't have to follow the rules.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 08:12:18 AM »
They may not have known what the phrase "cold range" means.  You may have missed an opportunity to educate them. ;)

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 09:02:19 AM »
Fly- Since you are using my term "Rule Nazi", I have to say....... You are not a rule Nazi with this situation described above.

My example of a "Rule Nazi" is someone who at a USPSA or IDPA match, who doesn't like the fact that a shooter has a Hogue grip sleeve on their Glock pistol in Production class, and makes a big deal out of it...... Thinking that a Hogue grip sleeve is not allowed. Especially when the Rule Nazi doesn't know the rules as well as they think they do, as the Hogue grip sleeve is NOT prohibited by the rules.

Because a Hogue grip sleeve is a real unfair advantage for someone to use on their gun you know. And its important for a Rule Nazi to be a jerk about it     :-)

Reminding someone of a safety rule on the range is not being a Rule Nazi!!!

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 09:45:58 AM »
Fly....  I would have shot their tires out....

CZ.....  Don't bring your Hogue grip next month....I'm the MD and I say so ....  :)

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 09:57:45 AM »
IDPA Stage:  Range Nazi

You are at the range when some other shooters arrive.  They set up and begin firing, all is cool until after declaring a cold range, they handle their firearms while you are downrange.  You converse with them politely and inform them that this is a safety infraction. 

After this conversation, you continue to pick up your brass, thinking all is well.  You then notice them departing the range, guns already cased.  Obviously the guns had to have been handled to case them up while you were downrange.

At the start beep, you draw and engage the truck with Texas plates on it.  Minimum of three hits on all four tires.  All other vehicles are no-shoots. 
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 10:54:18 AM »
You are not a rule Nazi with this situation described above.

I know.  I was using the term with tongue in cheek.  I often have a dry subtle humor that a lot of people don't get, and it definitely doesn't translate well on electronic media. I find it humorous to state some things as fact when, in fact, it is the opposite of the truth.  For example, when I talk about myself being fashionable and good looking.  I suppose some people think I really believe that.

Though some people WOULD call me a "rule nazi".  I have spent the last 20 years in aviation immersed in company, aircraft, and FAA rules.  So to me, a ton of rules to follow is just kind of normal.

Now regarding the Hogue grip...Do you have one on your gun?! THAT'S why you beat me so bad.  YOU'RE CHEATING!  ;D

Fly
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 11:11:43 AM by OnTheFly »

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 10:56:33 AM »
At the start beep, you draw and engage the truck with Texas plates on it.  Minimum of three hits on all four tires.  All other vehicles are no-shoots.

Now that you mention it, I think those guys WERE from Texas.  They talked kind of funny.  :laugh:

Fly

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 11:09:28 AM »
they were from texas???
did they have horns? no? well you know what that means

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 11:10:23 AM »
they were from texas???
did they have horns? no? well you know what that means

LOL...wait! bullit doesn't have horns.

Fly

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 11:20:02 AM »
Curious,  which range?

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 11:26:46 AM »
Curious,  which range?

Lincoln Ike's.

Fly

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2014, 11:39:09 AM »
Yes, I cheat with a Hogue grip!

I had to switch to shooting to Limited in USPSA for a while until the Chief rule King stated that a Hogue grip was not against the rules..... This was a few years ago

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2014, 11:40:39 AM »
Yes, I cheat with a Hogue grip!

I had to switch to shooting to Limited in USPSA for a while until the Chief rule King stated that a Hogue grip was not against the rules..... This was a few years ago

LOL.  "Chief Rule King".  How do I get anointed with that title? 

Regardless, that Hogue grip may not be the ONLY reason you always beat me.   :laugh:

Fly

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2014, 11:48:12 AM »
LOL.  "Chief Rule King".  How do I get anointed with that title? 

Regardless, that Hogue grip may not be the ONLY reason you always beat me.   :laugh:

Fly

You just missed the boat. The Chief USPSA Rule King just retired, and they just hired a new one. Decent gig, you could have been paid decent money to be the Chief Rule King, hand out "overlays" for all RO's to use, and also get paid to fly around and shoot all the big matches.......

Just get yourself a Hogue grip and you will beat me.... It's only $15 for that peace of mind

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2014, 11:51:39 AM »
Just get yourself a Hogue grip and you will beat me.... It's only $15 for that peace of mind

Hmmm...I'm thinking there MIGHT be a few fundamentals I will need to work on to get to your level of shooting.  I keep buying $hi! to improve my shooting, but it just doesn't seem to be improving in proportion to the amount of money I'm spending.  Oh well, as long as I look good doing it.

Fly

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2014, 06:07:09 PM »
I picked up some Hogue grips up for my Glock 23, man what a difference, it took a gun that felt good in my hand to something that fills like an extension of my arm. I don't know if it will help me shoot better, haven't got a chance to try it yet.

I picked the grips up at Cabela's for $9.95.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2014, 06:15:41 PM »
Following the instructions and heating the sleeve with hair dryer sure makes them easier to pull on. ::)
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2014, 11:56:00 PM »
I experienced a similar incident at the same place.  Range was called Cold. went downrange to change out targets and look at a couple things.   The I hear Mr. Brasser rip into the guys back at the firing line.  I spin around to them handling their pistol.  "But we were pointing it at the side berm."  Mr Brasser then proceeded to (re)educate them on proper range etiquette .  (I can say, I was a proud father, as my kids were sitting , not touching anything, waiting for us to get back. ) 
β€œIt is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane