< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Don't go to Dartmouth if you're being stalked...  (Read 1247 times)

Offline Cdog

• NFOA Full Member
Don't go to Dartmouth if you're being stalked...
« on: August 07, 2014, 08:11:34 AM »
Interesting article about college campus carry here:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/08/06/ivy-league-schools-response-to-student-requesting-to-carry-a-concealed-handgun-to-defend-herself-from-dangerous-stalker/

If anyone sounds responsible enough and has enough cause to carry, it's this young woman.

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
Re: Don't go to Dartmouth if you're being stalked...
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 07:49:51 PM »
The Truth About Guns had this story, too. My advice to this young woman is that her life is more valuable than a Dartmouth diploma. At the undergraduate level, the advantages of an Ivy League school are exaggerated. Top grades in meaningful classes at any respectable college (e.g. UNO & UNL) will set you up for a good career or graduate school. Licensed concealed carry is legal on college campuses in Utah. Maybe some other states, too.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 11:55:46 PM »
I don't understand whack jobs like her stalker.

My advise to her would be to carry regardless if the state has an affirmative defense clause.  JUST-DON'T-TELL-ANYONE!  Hopefully she wouldn't need it.  If she does, hopefully it would make the difference between being dead and being the survivor of an attack.  Then she can deal with being kicked out of the school.  Either that or a big can of wasp spray.  Sarcasm intended.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Cdog

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 03:29:08 PM »
I agree that no piece of paper is worth risking your life. She has made quite an effort to work with the campus administration and security, and instead of quietly handling the situation so that the student is safe, it became a national news story. If I were working in a college that allowed CCW and read this article, I'd be pushing the administration to send her some serious scholarships. If I were her, I might just carry in spite of the rules - if she does it right, who would know? Hard for me to say what I would do without having her experiences.

LOL - I love the wasp spray discussions making the rounds lately. Doubt the young lady could hide a 20oz spray can as easily as a .380 or the like. And what happens when she runs into a wasp nest and runs out just before her stalker attacks? As far as I know, there is no spare clip for a can of spray. Had the stalker been dealt with appropriately by the law in the first place - say, a judiciously placed lead pill - she would not be having these problems. Good thing we're all paying to "re-educate" him.