< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: AAR Precision Response Training-CCW Lifestyles 101 Class 8/9/14  (Read 1869 times)

Offline RN4Guns

• NFOA Full Member
My significant other and I had been waiting to sign up for this course for over a year. I was very excited to be able to sign us up for class and present this class as a bday present. I went in to this course with no expectations other than to get great information. Most of my past training included range time. This course required the use of a barrel blocker with no range time. This was not a basic skills class, however, the information presented applied to those who were thinking about getting their CCW to those who carry regularly.  What I personally took away from this class: I need to practice my draw, it only takes a few seconds for the bad guy to attack and I only have a few seconds to decide what I am going to do, the power of tunnel vision during the scenarios. It was a great learning experience to witness first hand what the mind/body does during stress. Even though the scenarios were not real, the body takes over and the perception is completely different than reality. This leads me to the best part of the class-the scenarios. Thomas did an excellent job debriefing after each scenario with the participants and other students. Each scenario offered something different and an opportunity to personally think what one would have done in that situation. I think most have a false sense of security when we get our CCW and think that since we have a gun and can work the gun, we would be able to handle any situation. This could not be farther from the truth!

The only negative I can think of is that there isn't a CCW 201 class scheduled. I am looking forward to taking more classes from Thomas. I highly recommend this class to everyone who carry as well as for those who are looking to obtain their CCW.

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
Re: AAR Precision Response Training-CCW Lifestyles 101 Class 8/9/14
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 07:47:38 AM »
That's a good class, as is all of Thomas' efforts.  I've learned a lot of good stuff over the years.  (I still have nightmares about Airsoft Glocks though.)  :)
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline Aldo

• Ever vigilant. Ever ready. Ever willing. www.everreadyccw.com
  • NFOA Full Member
    • EverReadyCCW
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 09:24:50 PM »
Typically I can prepare an AAR for a training course about 24-72 hours after the experience.  However, in this particular case with the “CCW 101-The CCW Lifestyle” course by Thomas Howard at Precision Response Training (PRT), I literally needed all of this time since two Saturdays ago to recoup…not physically, but mentally and emotionally…so that I could appropriately reflect and prepare the AAR.

Opening remark:
Anyone who is considering obtaining a CCW permit AND anyone who already has a CCW permit should seriously consider participating in this particular all-day course with this particular instructor.  The experience IS a game-changer!

Review:
To quote the course’s objective -- “To give the necessary knowledge to integrate efficient, effective, daily concealed carry into their lives”.   There were 11 course goals that accompanied and supported this objective, all of which were an appropriate mix and balance of information on various topics presented in a logical sequence along with participant hands-on experiences in various dry-fire venues.

With the deliberate manner in which the instructor navigated the participants from didactic instruction to actively participating with various handgun manipulations from concealment individually as well as in pairs with a fellow participant who role-played the perpetrator actively approaching towards the “ccw permit holder” with a knife or other weapon, one could hardly discern that hours were passing by in what seemed like a much shorter period of time.  He maintained group engagement by feeding information to them in the classroom setting, subsequently offering constructive critiques with the dry-fire/dynamic exercises in another classroom, and then returning to the initial classroom for further instruction and discussion on various and pertinent ccw-related topics.  These topics included, but were not limited to, ccw equipment, self-analyzing one’s lifestyle choices relative to ccw, practical aspects of ccw relative to a perpetrator, storage techniques, requirements for the use of lethal force, and aftermath of use of lethal force and subsequent interaction with law enforcement.

The culmination of the day’s training were numerous scenario simulations in which the participants role-played a ccw permit holder who walked into a large room in which a scenario was set-up unbeknownst to him/her other than the environment into which one was entering (e.g., parking lot, restaurant, neighborhood, etc).  These shoot/no-shoot decision experiences were eye-opening for each of the participants, whether they were actively involved in the simulations or whether they were intentionally not involved but allowed to observe and learn from what was transpiring.  Without giving away the scenarios, you WILL come out of this portion of the course with a full comprehension of “how adrenaline and stress can affect your abilities, including how you interact with people”, which is a quote of the 11th goal of the course, for when the SHTF.  I have never imbibed a Red Bull, but the three scenarios, in which I actively participated, immersed me in dynamic experiences that infused me from head to toe (literally) with both adrenaline and stress, and I most definitely came out of them with a much greater appreciation for how one’s body and mind can be affected by those factors than by just reading about them or listening to one tell me about them.  The BIG bonus on top of each of the dynamic scenario experiences was the instructor doing an instant after action analysis and report to the entire group as well as to the individual(s) in the scenarios, which, in and of itself, was worth the reasonable cost of registration.  As much as I felt that I failed at the time when it most counted…and I did fail…I sincerely believe that what I learned from those scenarios and after action analyses may very well save my life one day.  In the words of the instructor to me afterwards, "I'll bet you won't do that again!"....my prayer is that he is correct...and that will be because of my personal immersion into the scenario at hand that will lend to a more appropriate outcome should that occur in real life.

Assisting with the dry-fire/dynamic exercises and the scenario simulations was Ardena Mrasek whose training and experience certainly complements the instructor.  In addition, she was extremely helpful with the women in the course who were needing considerations of holster choices from a female’s perspective.

Having enrolled in several courses at PRT, I find that the instructor (Thomas Howard) is incredibly consistent with his ability to skillfully intertwine the big picture approach and the attention to detail, not only of the group but also of each individual participant.  He is very intelligent with an innate communication skill that leaves no one behind in the course.  He just seems to know where each person is at with their comfort/discomfort level, and he works with them encouragingly.  Not only is he diligent in how he approaches the necessary training to achieve the knowledge base and shooting skills to be a “master” of his disciplines of firearms and hand-to-hand combat, but he does not intimidate the participants in his courses.  With a profession as an educator in the public school system, his pedagogical approach in the PRT courses has been reflective of the science and art of teaching by constructively engaging with each participant.  Having enrolled in many a professional and firearms courses in my years, I cannot bestow that compliment on most of those educators.  Our geographical region is truly blessed to have someone of this caliber available to willingly make available his knowledge to those who are willingly humble enough to receive what he has to offer.  But as with all knowledge, it becomes a matter of application of the knowledge, and that is the choice of the student to pursue or not.  It is quite obvious, at least to me as a university professor and health care practitioner, that the instructor has personally taken a life-long learning approach of absorbing and analyzing information, and then applying it through practice, practice, and more practice…and then teaching others who are willing to learn.

Closing remark:
As I opened with this AAR, this course should be on every ccw permit holders’ bucket list of courses to take.  Although I cannot speak for others, I would lay stock in the belief that most ccw permit holders would also find this course (and its sequel in CCW 201 with additional scenario simulations) to be extremely rewarding, and most would also realize that there is much, much, much more to the shoot/no-shoot decision process.  I am waiting with great anticipation for his yet to be announced CCW 201 second-level CCW Lifestyle course.  In the meantime, I have sent in my registration for his upcoming “Defensive Tactics – Firearms 101” course.  8)

P.S. I am grateful to Julie Howard for allowing me to "role-play" with her in one of the scenario simulations  ;) ....however, the actions involved with my role really played with me emotionally and mentally, which shook me up for quite some time afterwards...I don't think I am made for Hollywood (sorry, folks, but ya had to be there to know WTF I'm talking about).   ::)

[Sign up for the course when it is next offered...you won't be disappointed...it will leave you hungry for more!]
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 10:39:36 AM by Aldo »
www.everreadyccw.com
"Always remember that you are Americans, and it is your birthright to dream great dreams in this sweet and blessed land, truly the greatest, freest, strongest nation on Earth." -- Ronald Reagan

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 09:46:30 PM »
Julie gave a performance worthy of an Oscar in the class I took too.  I keep looking for her to be in the next Halloween movie.  "Halloween the 17th:  This Time Jason Loses.... Badly."  :)
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline Aldo

• Ever vigilant. Ever ready. Ever willing. www.everreadyccw.com
  • NFOA Full Member
    • EverReadyCCW
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 10:38:13 AM »
Julie gave a performance worthy of an Oscar in the class I took too.  I keep looking for her to be in the next Halloween movie.  "Halloween the 17th:  This Time Jason Loses.... Badly."  :)

All three of them (Thomas, Julie, and Ardena) role played the scenarios to the hilt, which made the experiences and the ambiance very realistic.  8)
www.everreadyccw.com
"Always remember that you are Americans, and it is your birthright to dream great dreams in this sweet and blessed land, truly the greatest, freest, strongest nation on Earth." -- Ronald Reagan

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 01:52:14 PM »
All three of them (Thomas, Julie, and Ardena) role played the scenarios to the hilt, which made the experiences and the ambiance very realistic.  8)

Everyone always thinks Ardena is so nice, which makes it SO much more effective when she suddenly goes psycho.

:o
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 09:58:56 AM »
Everyone always thinks Ardena is so nice, which makes it SO much more effective when she suddenly goes psycho.

:o

Ardena Smash!  Pretty scary!  :)

Offline zebra

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 09:15:33 AM »
Ardena Smash!  Pretty scary!  :)

No idea what you guys are talking about. None.

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 05:09:37 AM »
No idea what you guys are talking about. None.

Well,  gosh, I thought everyone knew about "Hulk Smash" :)