< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Ruger All American Rifle. Are they any good?  (Read 721 times)

Offline DRech

• NFOA Full Member
Ruger All American Rifle. Are they any good?
« on: August 17, 2014, 10:07:12 PM »
I am looking for information ,  good or bad, about the Ruger All American Center fire bolt gun.  Although I have several deer rifles, this one weighs in at only 6.25 lbs without scope and costs less then $400.00 ( $389.00 at Cabela's.)  This would make a dandy truck gun in either a 308 or 7mm08.  It would seem that Ruger would have to take some short cuts to build it this cheap, I just don't know what,... and do not want to have to find that out after I made my purchase.    I read the new Remington 783's have polymer bolt handles ( yes I said polymer bolt handles) ..... that's just not right. Any input would be much appreciated.  I am betting they will be even cheaper as it gets closed to  deer firearm season.

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: Ruger All American Rifle. Are they any good?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 11:09:51 PM »
I can't say much for the center fire rifles, but if they are of the same capability as the rimfire variants, you should be good to go. A friend built a 17 mag for p-dog hunting, and it was an accurate little SOB.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 07:50:19 AM »
when recently discussing a western nebraska deer hunt with a friend, and what gear we would use compared to the last hunt  that we had, I said I would go buy the ruger american in .308 with the 16 or 18 inch threaded barrel. (i've only seen these are scheels so far, and no it isn't the compact version)

not that I would put a can on it, but it weighed next to nothing and would be good for those western hunts where you have to hikes several miles
I haven't shot one but had have handled them and they feel better than the other $400  rifles, but obviously they aren't on parr with the $700 rifles out there

just an educated guess based off watching all those youtube "experts" and reading online, they would be a great deer gun, but don't expect sub MOA or even consistant MOA, you'll get MOD all day long though (minute of deer)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 08:39:52 AM by landon410 »

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 08:28:37 AM »
Well Wallace and I shot the snot outta one this weekend. Was on loan from Scheels for the hunt expo. Ruger American .308.  It was dead on all day. Of course we were using a laser insert, so I really can't say much for it's actual accuracy.
I will say the bolt is smooth enough, the trigger starts it a little tough. Short and crisp, but a touch tuff.  But after every kid and half the adults in attendance dry fired it a couple dozen times the trigger smoothed out just fine. We also noticed the synthetic stock flexed in the forearm, most likely only an issue if using a bipod?
All in all I would say it seems like a good entry level rifle.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline sparky0068

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 11:48:12 AM »
The tikka t3 is a much better rifle, but priced at $550 and up.
KD0LKT