< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Man sent to prison for killing Bald Eagle  (Read 1299 times)

Offline DenmanShooter

• NFOA Full Member
  • Fear No Evil
    • SolidRed
Man sent to prison for killing Bald Eagle
« on: November 04, 2014, 07:31:05 PM »
Who the h*** shoots a Bald Eagle anyway?

Guy deserves more...

http://www.nebraska.tv/story/27260841/nebraska-man-gets-prison-time-for-shooting-birds

The golf course is a willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range!      Jeff  Cooper

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
Re: Man sent to prison for killing Bald Eagle
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 06:05:33 AM »
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 03:35:44 PM by CitizenClark »

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 06:48:22 AM »
I side with the human over the wild animals here. No wild animal's life is worth keeping a human being in bondage over.

AGREE .... parallels the insanity of the protecting the Salt Creek Beetle ....

Offline DR4NRA

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 01:06:38 PM »
Wowsers, I am absolutely floored that one of you didn't say it was his constitutional rights under the 2nd amendment to shoot an Eagle.
D.R

Offline Mntnman

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 01:13:54 PM »
Eagle eggs are protected and human fetuses are not. Sad.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 01:23:24 PM »
Wowsers, I am absolutely floored that one of you didn't say it was his constitutional rights under the 2nd amendment to shoot an Eagle.

The 2nd Amendment has nothing to do with hunting, or more specifically in this case... poaching.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 02:28:12 PM »
The 2nd Amendment has nothing to do with hunting, or more specifically in this case... poaching.

Yep. This was poaching pure and simple. I don't typically kill something unless it falls into one of the categories of "food", "varmint", or "human-introduced invasive species which needs eradicated".   The story doesn't say anything about his reasoning so I'm not sure which of the three categories he thought the eagle fit.

I'm also kind of a fan of the concept that "laws aren't just for other people" and "actions have consequences", both of which have fallen out of favor in our narcissistic times.
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline Sandhillian

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 03:52:40 PM »
The time is coming for a discussion about the merits of protecting birds of prey.  Hawks, in particular, do a lot of damage to the game bird population (i.e. my favorite, the pheasants).  There isn't much of a pheasant population left in north central Nebraska.  Driving down Hwys. 20 and 275 the other day, my wife and I counted 7 hawks sitting atop power poles all within half of a mile to a mile.  That's a sign there might be too many around.

Offline DR4NRA

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2014, 04:00:50 PM »

Yes I know, I was being sarcastic. The guy was caught once before and given probation. He didn't get enough.

This is just my opinion here, but anyone who gets on a firearm forum in an area open to the public which this thread is, and condones the use of a firearm in a crime of any type which was done in the first reply, is not a hunter or gun owners friend, they are the enemy.
D.R

Offline Sandhillian

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2014, 04:37:29 PM »
This is just my opinion here, but anyone who gets on a firearm forum in an area open to the public which this thread is, and condones the use of a firearm in a crime of any type which was done in the first reply, is not a hunter or gun owners friend, they are the enemy.

That's a pretty bold, and unfair statement.  I don't think someone voicing their opinion that the life of an animal isn't worth the jailing of a human being makes said person an enemy to anything this organization is trying to accomplish.  That opinion makes a lot of sense to a lot of people.  And, lumping in the use of a firearm to shoot a protected species with using a firearm to commit, say murder, is dangerous territory.  In the real world, those things aren't even remotely related.

Mntnman makes a great point.  Society's priorities are a little out of whack when the eggs of a bird are protected to a greater extent than a human fetus.

Offline AWick

• Steel Benefactor
  • Home is where your armory is.
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2014, 05:12:29 PM »
So... I went out to his Facebook page and discovered that he is actually a Native American. While he still doesn't have any authority to poach an eagle it adds complexity to the story that was lacking from the news.
"Well-regulated" meant well equipped, trained and disciplined... not controlled with an iron fist.

Offline DR4NRA

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2014, 05:31:37 PM »
Nope it wasn't missed about native part. His own people turned him in!!!!!!!!!    :laugh:

http://nebraskaradionetwork.com/2014/11/04/walthill-man-sentenced-for-killing-bald-eagle/

http://www.cjnotebook.com/man-shot-eagle-hawk-sentenced-eight-months-prison/

There is a repository in Iowa for native americans to receive these items for religious purposes. He was in it for the money.
And yes, if you condone it, you are part of the problem facing both hunters and gun owners as being nothing but kill.

I cant change how SCOTUS  declared on abortion.
I cant change the law on eggs over humans.
D.R

Offline AWick

• Steel Benefactor
  • Home is where your armory is.
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2014, 05:43:19 PM »
That's more information than the other alphabet news organizations put out on the story! I absolutely don't condone the poaching of eagles. He definitely was in it for the money and/or just for the kill. A disgrace to conservation minded hunters.
"Well-regulated" meant well equipped, trained and disciplined... not controlled with an iron fist.

Offline Mntnman

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2014, 05:45:23 PM »

I cant change how SCOTUS  declared on abortion.
I cant change the law on eggs over humans.

Well, not with THAT attitude!

Evil prevails when good men do nothing.

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2014, 07:59:52 PM »
It's kinda ironic that the same people that are for putting someone in prison for destroying one symbol of this country are the same ones that have no problem with burning another.

I wonder how many of us would be in prison if the national bird was the turkey like original proposed.

I certainly wouldn't condone killing of a bald eagle but there are areas like Sandhillian said where nothing moves around without the threat of aerial assault.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington