< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Shooting instructor dies after being accidentally shot by girl 9 yrs. old.  (Read 1171 times)

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
KINGMAN, Ariz. — An instructor who was shot by a 9-year-old girl who fired an Uzi at a northwestern Arizona shooting range died Monday night at University Medical Center in Las Vegas.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/nevada/shooting-instructor-dies-after-being-accidentally-shot-girl
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
I watched partial video, looked like gun tracked up and to left towards instructor.
BB gun or  22lr. single shot would of been much better choice, no matter how this turned out I think it would of turned her off shooting for life. Very sad.
 :(
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
Oh good!  This will be an opportunity for a new law to save us all from ourselves.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
Very sad.  Surprised for the families involved, any video was released to the public.   I remember at a summer camp I attended, they had a .22 rifle bolted to a fence post, which limited the movement to only a few degrees in any direction.   Bet that instructor wishes he was teaching at my old summer camp.   At the time, I thought it was a complete rip off.    As I get older, I guess I am turning into a bold them down kind of a guy.  To hand a full auto firearm to a 60 pound 9 year old, unfamiliar with firearms, seems criminal.    I don't see this action, of letting 4th graders, shoot full auto firearms,  in any way supports her, or my 2nd Amendment rights.   The actions of that instructor, was a bad call, and it cost two families dearly.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
In the comments below the video link, someone posts a little longer version of the video.  In it you see the gun barrel climb quickly up and left.  Multiple shots are heard, but only one round hits high on the berm.   Her shots went over the berm.   In the desert, lots of space is everywhere, but someone could have been killed when the shots went over the berm.   We can assume she fired that mag till it went dry.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
IIRC ...  a similar incident happened a few years ago with a little girl shooting and killing her self when the gun recoiled.....

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
so many things wrong with this, and its not worth going over every single one of them, but yes, some democrat will draft a law to try to save us from the roving gangs of 9 year girls with full auto weapons...

seriously, who gives a full auto weapon to a child that small? the firearm didn't even have a buttstock to help her control it what did the firearm instructor think was going to happen?

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
...who gives a full auto weapon to a child that small?

Well, THAT guy, for one.

Not to be disrespectful at a moment of tragedy but my internal scheisskopf detector was going off right from the beginning of the video, just from his manner of talking to and working with a 9 y.o. kid.  Goes back to that whole "Gift of Fear" concept and listening to that internal voice that surely must have been in the back of the parents' heads saying, "Hmmmm.... I wonder if this may be a bad idea" and surpressing the other voice saying "...but golly I sure hate to offend the guy in the tactical pants."

I'll keep singing the praises of the incomparable Savage Rascal single shot .22 for kids.   
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
I've never shot full auto before but from what I've seen and heard some adults can have a hard time controlling muzzle rise.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
Nice! CNN is doing a whole segment on this and yes it was a 9 year old girl, the boy was previous to this case and he shot and killed himself, charges were filed in that case. A range officer said you have to be 8 to go full auto at that range.

CNN is talking about more gun control laws to address this issue.

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
KINGMAN, Ariz. — An instructor who was shot by a 9-year-old girl who fired an Uzi at a northwestern Arizona shooting range died Monday night at University Medical Center in Las Vegas.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/nevada/shooting-instructor-dies-after-being-accidentally-shot-girl

Sad situation, but at least the person who was acting negligently was the only one injured.

There is a reason why we only used single shot firearms to teach the campers at the scout camp where I worked as a teenager.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
Deliberate actions of a parent, directing the actions of a minor child, when those actions cause death or injury, can be charged as a crime in some states.  I doubt the poor judgment of these parents, to let that small child shoot that gun, will just slide by.    There are no statute of limitations for capitol crimes like this???, so this could linger on for years, till the right prosecutor wants to make waves, and stir the pot. 

Very sad.   With an admin in Washington that will let no crisis go unused, we can expect a nail or three in the coffin of 2nd Amendment rights.   

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
I really feel sorry for the kid.  She's going to be messed up over this for a long time, I bet.

I have a 10 year old daughter and I can't imagine her having anywhere near the upper body strength or coordination to control a full auto 9mm.  She does fine with a .22 but she's not ready for anything more.

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
seriously, who gives a full auto weapon to a child that small? the firearm didn't even have a buttstock to help her control it what did the firearm instructor think was going to happen?

Actually the firearm did have a foldable stock.
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member