< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Dimpling of plated bullets (NOW WITH PICTURES!)  (Read 4055 times)

Offline newfalguy101

• Forum Member
Re: Dimpling of plated bullets (NOW WITH PICTURES!)
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2014, 06:26:27 PM »
If the dimpling doesn't happen with other cases, could it be that these military surplus cases are a bit more stout and it requires more force to seat them?  This combined with minimal flaring?

Fly

Could be, I have noticed that I will occasionally run into a case that takes a bit more oomph to seat than most.

It never bugged me enough to investigate, especially since the brass I am reloading ( 9mm ) has multiple headstamps along with who knows how many loadings. 

Offline DenmanShooter

• NFOA Full Member
  • Fear No Evil
    • SolidRed
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2014, 10:21:31 PM »
Before I sold my 9mm Nano I reloaded several hundred rounds of ammo with BerryBullets.  I always flared my casing and never had any problems seating the bullet and crimping the case.  I used the single stage Lee Anniversary press and dies.

I had several Berry's skin the plating off when I first started reloading.  I thought it was the bullets.

Next batch of Berry's I noticed the bullets were "slicker" like they had been pre lubed.  They did not skin at all.

I since have gone to giving them a little spray of Hornady's bullet lube.

Haven't any problems since that first batch and changed nothing else.

I do NOT flare the cases at all.  I only use the full length case sizer from Lee.

I then always use the Lee Factory Crimp die.

The golf course is a willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range!      Jeff  Cooper

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2014, 10:24:19 PM »
I do NOT flare the cases at all.  I only use the full length case sizer from Lee.

A few people have told me that shaving off some of the plating is a result of not enough flare, but it is interesting that the lube makes the difference.  Just curious, have you ever pulled a pulled to see what is happening under the case rim?

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline DenmanShooter

• NFOA Full Member
  • Fear No Evil
    • SolidRed
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2014, 10:18:31 PM »
A few people have told me that shaving off some of the plating is a result of not enough flare, but it is interesting that the lube makes the difference.  Just curious, have you ever pulled a pulled to see what is happening under the case rim?

Fly

Yes and it is smooth as a baby's butt. 
The golf course is a willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range!      Jeff  Cooper

Offline noylj

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2014, 08:43:05 PM »
Actually, dimpling the bullets like a golf ball might actually improve ability to maintain velocity, though only the ogive would be dimpled.
Mythbusters showed it was of some significance in increasing gas mileage in a car.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2014, 10:14:56 PM »
Actually, dimpling the bullets like a golf ball might actually improve ability to maintain velocity, though only the ogive would be dimpled.
Mythbusters showed it was of some significance in increasing gas mileage in a car.

You know, I guess my choice of words was poor.  I don't think what I was seeing could be classified as "dimples".  It was more like "nipples".   ;D

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum