< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Blew Up an XDM40 Today  (Read 11296 times)

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
Re: Blew Up an XDM40 Today
« Reply #80 on: August 29, 2014, 10:22:27 AM »
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #81 on: August 29, 2014, 05:16:20 PM »
So glad you're alright

I've seen SFG's work first hand, and we've discussed reloading at length.

I would have absolutely every confidence in my own safety if he handed me a box of hand loads to test out myself.

SFG, If you're truly concerned about your powder weights, pull random samples from the buckets of from your sort and give them a disassembly & verification.

I would instead suggest looking through your rounds for cracked mouths or signs of insipid head separation color bands (which I know can be difficult to distinguish from sizing die marks from sized brass / completed rounds).

hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #82 on: August 29, 2014, 06:10:13 PM »
After the gun arrives, we'll have to get some of the feistier Forum members (Fly, gsd, FeralCatKiller, Bullit ...  to pre-shoot the gun before I take it to the range.

Sorry, but my religion forbids me from drinking alcohol, shooting reloads in guns that have recently exploded, and making annoyingly enigmatic smart-ass comments on forums.  (However, I might make an exception in return for a bottle of Dolin Vermouth de Chambéry Blanc.)

"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #83 on: August 29, 2014, 06:56:09 PM »
signs of insipid head separation color bands

You may be on to something here.

The Local Gunsmith showed me the front end of the blown .40S&W casing, perfectly round and all that.  About 5/16" long.  He had removed it from the chamber.

Clearly, there was some kinda case separation involved.   Maybe at the cannelure.   I'll see if I can find that piece and check it further.   Maybe over that coffee you suggested.

sfg
====================================
Dolin Vermouth de Chambéry Blanc.

Aha.....  Maybe what's in that bottle in your avatar??

www.drinkupny.com › Wine › Wine By Price › $10.00 - $19.99
$15.99 - ?In stock
====================================

Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #84 on: August 30, 2014, 03:30:41 AM »
Are there stronger guns than the one that grande-ed?  Say a single shot contender?    Maybe invest in one of those, or pass the buckets of ammo to someone with a heavier gun. 

Sent from my SPH-L600 using Tapatalk

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #85 on: August 30, 2014, 07:07:31 AM »
Well worth considering, Gary.

Good thought.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #86 on: August 30, 2014, 08:56:25 AM »
I can just hear folks from an earlier time reading this thread with all the cautionary notes having a real chuckle.  They might call us an unkind feminine name, and laugh saying, when was the last time I used all ten fingers all at the same time anyway, as they rocked in their rocking chairs whittling away on a piece of pine, on the porch of a log cabin they built by hand by a river. 

I tend to think safety first, but our nation was built with a spirit of get er done.  Vast projects where men paid the price of lives and limbs. 

I tell my students no reloads in class, the classes I take usualy tell me the same thing.   In years past, I thought nothing of buying reloads at a garage sale, or gun show. 

Times have changed, and they have changed us as a nation.     Could we build a Hover Dam or Panama Canal today?  Will our grandkids be able to build such structures and pay the price for such feats of architecture?

Seatbelts, child seats, no smoking and no child left behind that cant balance a checkbook.   

We have gone from 15 round boxing matches where both men almost kill one another to WWE matches where winners are picked months in advance and the audience knows it, and does not care.

I grew up across the street from Katelman Foundry.  A hard industry run by hard men.  Long hard days, and if they did not have sun dried leather skin, they had cooked leather skin from pouring molten steel.

The foundry is gone now, along with hundreds of jobs and a good way of life.   Times have changed, but I miss the old days where boys were boys and girls were girls and maybe a girl had a purple dress, but she darn sure did not have purple hair.

I would like to say, bring a bucket of ammo over and we will have a good time, but I reckon the foundry is gone in most all of us.     

Sent from my SPH-L600 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 09:00:39 AM by Gary »

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #87 on: August 30, 2014, 11:39:55 AM »
Are there stronger guns than the one that grande-ed?  Say a single shot contender?

Cat's Curiosity (rather than search for possible purchase) got working on me and had to check it out.

Found that Thompson's website doesn't show pistol barrels for either  G, G2, or Encore configurations in .40S&W caliber.   

Didn't check the web for aftermarket Thompson Contender pistol barrels in .40S&W nor for any kind of rifle barrels (seeing no real point in a .40S&W single shot rifle).

FYI

sfg

Offline newfalguy101

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on: August 30, 2014, 01:29:49 PM »
I seem to recall reading at one time that T/C did offer .40 S&W barrels, however, finding one might prove nigh on immpossible

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #89 on: September 04, 2014, 04:02:20 PM »
Getting Close to the End of This Story:

XDM40 came back from Springfield Armory by FEDEX man today.

Turnaround on this handgun was very fast.  Maybe about a week, not counting the days that SA was shut down for pre-Labor Day activities.  But including two days there and two days back.  They worked on it and completed the work the very day they received it.

Handgun came back w/indications that it had been test fired:  (a) dirty bore and (b) invoice marked Function:  Good.

To this layman's untrained eye, handgun looks pretty much OK all over.   Woulda never thunkit after what happened to it.

Now it needs to go to the range.  But...today is booked and tomorrow is dove hunting.   (Might take it and fire it out in the dove boonies.  We'll see.)

Coupla Nice Small Things:

1)  SA included a used plastic pistol case in the return shipment that I did not send to them.
2)  The original KA-BOOM loosened the rear sight on the XDM.  Came off in my hand.  Didn't have an Allen wrench of the right size in the XD Gear.   However, the tiny Allen wrench for my LaserGuard fit exactly and worked just fine to tighten up the rear sight.

Sometimes, things go right.

After I shoot the handgun, one more post and then we can drop this one.

sfg

Offline 66bigblock

• Lead Benefactor
  • When SHTF, which side of the Fan will you be on?
« Reply #90 on: September 04, 2014, 04:52:04 PM »
forget that.

armslist.com as only factory test fired!

66bigblock
I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.  I carry a lot of ammo because I cant run very fast.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #91 on: September 04, 2014, 05:29:14 PM »
By George, I think I done got it.
Lets do this right and make it a fundraiser for the ol NFOA!
 Pay to play. $5 per chance to shoot this now famous peestol.  Names randomly pulled from hat to determine order. 10 rounds per, ammo randomly grabbed from the bucket.
Step right up! Step right up!

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #92 on: September 04, 2014, 06:52:41 PM »
Maybe it could be weaseled in like such:

Factory Fresh: only factory test fired!

sfg

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #93 on: September 05, 2014, 02:00:17 PM »
By George, I think I done got it.
Lets do this right and make it a fundraiser for the ol NFOA!
 Pay to play. $5 per chance to shoot this now famous peestol.  Names randomly pulled from hat to determine order. 10 rounds per, ammo randomly grabbed from the bucket.
Step right up! Step right up!

Uh oh!   You might need an Ne Gaming license.  Lottery?  Raffle?  There is a significant difference.
http://www.revenue.nebraska.gov/gaming/Lottery_Raffle_ppt_bw_11-2012.pdf
Or, is it a Gift Enterprise?
http://www.revenue.nebraska.gov/gaming/statute/giftact.pdf

Remember, it is not what you think the law  is, it is how those who enforce it read the law.
(Disclaimer:  I wrote the gaming software for the Ne Dept of Rev Gaming division.)

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #94 on: September 05, 2014, 02:48:24 PM »
Back from dove hunting now.

No doves anywhere today.   At least, not where we were.  However, some very light rain.   So we left; came home.   (We were not duck hunting.)

But I did schlepp along the XDM40 to the Boonies.   And did take a mag full of reloads.

So I shot about half a magfull into the dirt bank just to test function.   Which it did just fine do.  I then quit shooting because it seemed like the right thing.

No Nebraska Game and Parks game wardens showed up; neither did anyone from the Nebraska Gaming Commission.

Glad to have my nice XDM40 back and working again after the KA-BOOM.  Never thought it could be saved, all that frame stuff bulging out the sides and all that.  Thought it wuz surely a Goner.  [My Glock coulda never recovered from such an event, right?]

So far as I'm concerned, this story is now completely told.

sfg

« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 04:49:28 PM by SemperFiGuy »