< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Update Ruger American Centerfire  (Read 758 times)

Offline DRech

• NFOA Full Member
Update Ruger American Centerfire
« on: September 08, 2014, 05:55:18 AM »
On Aug 18th I asked the members for input on a Ruger American I was considering picking up.  I did buy a 7mm-08 last week from Cabela's for $389.00.  They did not offer the package with the Redfield Revolution scope in the 7mm-08 caliber for some reason so I bought a Redfield separate ( 3-9 with Accu Range).  Rifle now weighs 7 lbs 3 oz with scope. Over all I am really happy.  The light weight, the adjustable trigger and detachable mag are the 3 things that caught my eye.  The mag was a little sloppy of a fit in the stock, but that completely went away when I put rounds in it. Trigger is excellent at 3-lbs 12 oz. as it came from the factory and I will leave it like that. Accuracy is fair , but I have shot only 20 - 25 rounds so far, so I think it will do better.  I'm getting 1-1/2 to 2 inch groups at 100 yards with Hornady Whitetail and Remington Coreloks in 139 and 140 grain. Fit and finish was not bad at all for a low end rifle.  I heard some concerns that the stock was on the flimsy side, but I don't see that at all.The scope is really nice.  The Revolution model is about $40.00 more than the Revenge. ( $209.00 but I had a 10% off card) But the quality/sharpness is very obvious and well worth the few extra bucks.  The Revolution model is American made( Oregon).  The Revenge is made in the Philippines. Check them out side by side and you will see what I mean. Who knows, I just might be lucky enough to shoot that 30 Pointer come November.

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Update Ruger American Centerfire
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 08:47:33 AM »
Thanks for posting that!   :)  I love Rugers and think the 7-08 is about the neatest hunting cartridge out there for any animal doesn't require something much bigger like a .375.  I lament Ruger's move away from the nice wood, blued steel and their handsome 'front barrel band' open sights like my own M77 Mk II, but understand that "utilitarian" is the big thing right now and they needed something to compete against Savage in the "inexpensive but accurate as hell" market.

As you probably know, now's the time to try as many different ammo types as you can.  When I brought my .30-06 M77 home I tried eight or nine different 180 grain loads and the difference in group size was astounding.  Winchester's most expensive load shot a ~3" group @ 100.  Federal's premiums with Nosler Partitions shot .75"-1" so I bought several more boxes from that same production lot and have been using them since.  Ain't many problems that a man can't fix with a Nosler Partition from a .30-06.

"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 09:13:44 AM »
I've had my revolution scope for 4 years now, its good glass for the budget minded
side by side with a VX1 you wouldn't know which was which, because other than the box and the finish on the outside of the scopes, they are the same scope

Offline DRech

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 09:58:16 PM »
Update to the update.  shot a doe last week with this rifle on a river antlerless permit.  My longest shot ever on a white tail ,..250 yards... well that's long for me anyways.  She went about 20 feet  and dropped. My rifle is now shooting one inch groups with some double holes.  I may just buy another in the compact  ( 18 " barrel instead of 22" and has a 1.25 shorter LOP)  model.

Offline Waltherfan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 09:50:48 AM »
Congrats on the whitetail :D
Sounds like you've got the hang of that rifle, good job.