< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: NFOA 24 hour.... er..... or 2-5 hour sniper challenge?  (Read 2109 times)

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
NFOA 24 hour.... er..... or 2-5 hour sniper challenge?
« on: September 09, 2014, 07:55:38 AM »
does anyone have land capable of hosting an NFOA 24 hour.... er..... or 2-5 hour sniper challenge?

I think it would be fun, use same idea as what toby and nick did but a much smaller scale, could be used for NFOA members or to draw attention to NFOA, it could consist of an adventure race of types (obstacle course), having to climb walls, swing a ditch, etc for 3-5 miles then a shooting portion, combine "long range" (however long is possible, maybe just smaller targets at intermediate range) carbine and handguns just like the big race, but easier for us nonsuperhero folk.

even if its a country road or a pasture we're "hiking" through, we can even drink from a nasty cow tank if needed ;)

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
Re: NFOA 24 hour.... er..... or 2-5 hour sniper challenge?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 11:03:13 AM »
does anyone have land capable of hosting an NFOA 24 hour.... er..... or 2-5 hour sniper challenge?

I think it would be fun, use same idea as what toby and nick did but a much smaller scale, could be used for NFOA members or to draw attention to NFOA, it could consist of an adventure race of types (obstacle course), having to climb walls, swing a ditch, etc for 3-5 miles then a shooting portion, combine "long range" (however long is possible, maybe just smaller targets at intermediate range) carbine and handguns just like the big race, but easier for us nonsuperhero folk.

even if its a country road or a pasture we're "hiking" through, we can even drink from a nasty cow tank if needed ;)

I have a cattle tank you could drink from.

Probably the biggest hurdle is going to be insurance.  The cost of insurance for a single event would be prohibitive.  I have had discussions with Shea Degan of 88 Tactical about utilizing their facility and the surrounding area for a similar event.  His insurance would already cover such an event.

If there's enough interest, I'll touch base with him again.

I have another friend that has land up near Tekamah and, I think, has the insurance necessary.  However, the event would be limited to pistol and/or shotgun.  He does not have permission from neighboring land owners for rifle shooting.

Another alternative would be to have something like this as a part of the members meeting.  Would anyone be interested in that?  I think the facility would work pretty well for a miniature version.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 11:14:28 AM by Mudinyeri »

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 12:37:42 PM »
It wouldn't even have to be a "race" just let people set appointments and go out there and run whatever course could be made and let people try to set their own times and encourage them to come back and try to best that time that they previously set

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 01:29:30 PM »
It wouldn't even have to be a "race" just let people set appointments and go out there and run whatever course could be made and let people try to set their own times and encourage them to come back and try to best that time that they previously set

The only way I can see that it would be financially viable would be to have a group of people do it at the same time.  You'd need RO's for the various stages, etc.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 01:34:49 PM »
Wallace had a Precision Long Range last year.  A little movement, but heavy on the shooting.
Very little interest this year. 
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 01:48:12 PM »
Wallace had a Precision Long Range last year.  A little movement, but heavy on the shooting.
Very little interest this year. 

I was interested but available time and drive distance factored against it.  I know there was another event somewhere up by Hartington, NE with more shooting and less movement.

The idea that Shea and I discussed was more like the SAC - lots of movement with some rifle, carbine and pistol shooting.

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 02:11:50 PM »
I think interest is there, but cost is an issue for most people, even if you can afford the entry fee, then you have several hours of travel each way, food, hotel, etc and that is simply too much money for most people.

If there was something within an hour of Omaha, with a total cost of under$250 per person, that would include their entry and travel costs etc I think there would be decent turn outs.

Plus something like that I don't have to lose 20 lbs to be able to finish

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 04:03:05 PM »
I think interest is there, but cost is an issue for most people, even if you can afford the entry fee, then you have several hours of travel each way, food, hotel, etc and that is simply too much money for most people.

If there was something within an hour of Omaha, with a total cost of under$250 per person, that would include their entry and travel costs etc I think there would be decent turn outs.

Plus something like that I don't have to lose 20 lbs to be able to finish

We were planning a "Sprint" class and an "Endurance" class similar to the Sniper Adventure Challenge in which Nick and I competed.  Sprint would have covered somewhere between 4 and 8 miles.  Endurance would have covered between 8 and 20 miles.  Quite a bit of that would have been road march.  Some would have been overland.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 04:40:45 PM »
YEAH BUTT.....
At these other events, how much of the entry fee/ proceeds go directly to support your state Firearm Owners Association? 
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 05:03:32 PM »
YEAH BUTT.....
At these other events, how much of the entry fee/ proceeds go directly to support your state Firearm Owners Association? 

If we did this as a part of the NFOA members meeting, I would assume that 100% of the net profit would go to the NFOA.  If I have to bring in a business partner, I can't say for sure.
YEAH BUTT.....

What other events?

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 01:58:23 PM »
Columbus Rifle Club has a combination carbine/precision rifle team event.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2014, 03:01:11 PM »
Columbus Rifle Club has a combination carbine/precision rifle team event.

Does the event include any physical challenges, fieldcraft, etc?

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2014, 03:17:34 PM »
Columbus Rifle Club has a long range 22lr match this coming Sunday.
That'd be FUN

I can't get the page to show me any further information on that, but that sounds affordable and fun. I need to break out my 22 and practice at range sometime

http://www.columbusrifleclub.com/EventsList.aspx

I don't have time to do this this weekend, but I'm going to keep an eye out for this in the future, now I need to really dial in my 22!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 03:24:55 PM by landon410 »

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2014, 05:56:18 PM »
Does the event include any physical challenges, fieldcraft, etc?

I don't believe so.  I think it's just a shooting event, similar to 3 gun but with 2 rifles.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2014, 08:37:46 AM »
I don't believe so.  I think it's just a shooting event, similar to 3 gun but with 2 rifles.

The event that I was planning, in conjunction with 88 Tactical, was basically a miniature version of what Nick and I did out in Wyoming.  Not sure if people are up for the physical/fieldcraft challenges or just want to shoot.

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2014, 09:26:41 AM »
If I was able to do something I would like to see some type of physical aspect other than laying prone and shooting...
even it its just quick hikes of 1/4 mile between shooting sections to get your heart going
walking through a creek, or hoping stone to stone, climbing over a bundle of logs, something

field craft could be interesting something you have to start a fire before proceeding but you have no matches or lighters, see how well people packed at that point.

how about trail run/jog/walk 1/8 mile stop 100 push ups combined WITH PACKS ON, finish another 1/8 mile run/jog/walk
shoot

trail run 1/2 includes minor obstacles like large log has to be moved 10 feet but CANNOT be rolled or something dumb like that.
then shoot

One leg of the course a range officer just picks (or by random draw) a person on your team who is now injuried and cannot carry his pack, you have to leave it with the officer, You get 2 minutes-5 muntes to go through both packs to repack anything that might be needed.

These are just ideas, but would give a physical aspect to it without having to have 15,000 acres and a mountain

« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 09:30:29 AM by landon410 »

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2014, 09:49:00 AM »
Landon

Get a partner and come down to the DC Shootout at the end of the month. It should hit a couple of items on you list and be a fun time!

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2014, 03:28:28 PM »
I have a phone call scheduled this evening with Bill and Toby from the Heartland Shooting park.  I think there's enough land there that we could do a scaled-down version of the event that Nick and I did.  They even have a pond. [Insert evil laugh]

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2014, 04:58:22 PM »
Just spoke with the Heartland Shooting Park folks and they're open to having us host an event like this at their facility.  We brainstormed some ideas that sounded like a lot of fun.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2014, 05:27:16 PM »
I would be interested in something like this.  I'm hoping to do John's precision rifle event again this year if I have the time.