General Categories > Non Gun Stuff

Archery, Anyone?

(1/3) > >>

JimP:
I have a question or two .... OK maybe 5+ ..... but was unsure where to put it .... not gun related, so we'll stick them in here and see what ensues ......

I've had a bow for ..... well .....more than a decade ...... it's a 66" longbow of Osage and Hickory ..... handmade by J. Cook of Missouri  ...... draws about 45 pounds @ 29" draw ..... I started with a bunch of second hand aluminum arrows, mostly shooting informal targets with the 5 munchkins and their friends ..... in the last couple years, I've been using it for pest control ( did you know that if you plant rabbits, you get 10 times as many peas? ...... and you can plant the rabbits anywhere- does not have to be anywhere near the garden!) ...... using 125 gr Judo points . 

I have been invited to go bowhunting for whitetails.....  I have picked up  some broadheads (Jeeminy-Peets those are spendy!) ..... with the judo points, I'm good to smack a milk jug ten for ten out to 20 yards  ......  I don't doubt that the rig will work ..... with one exception: the string has always smacked my left arm/wrist(armguard or not, it's LOUD) ..... with rabbits and  squirrels, not a big deal: they freeze at odd sounds.  Deer ..... not so much- there's even a term for it : "Jumping the String" .....

Any advice to quiet the shot?

Also, I can't find any reference to J. Cook of Missouri on the web ..... despite remembering reading an article about him in Nebraskaland .....  it's like he's been erased.....

barmandr:
You're holding the bow wrong if the string is hitting your forearm.  Try turning your hand in a bit by bending it at the wrist.  This increases the distance between the string and forearm and should eliminate arm strikes, thus eliminating the majority of the noise.

gsd:
You could also get a dampener/silencer/whisker biscuit for the string.

Had one on an old Bear compound and it was pretty darn quiet.

I've bee kicking around getting back into bows...

bkoenig:
Funny you should mention this.  About 10 years ago I bought a longbow but never shot it.  It's also a 45# draw.  I also bought a lighter 20# or so bow with the intention that my wife could shoot it.  Along the way the strings got lost, so just the other day I dug them out of storage and bought strings.  My daughter wants to try her hand at archery and I thought it would be something fun to do together.  I haven't bought any arrows yet, but I've always heard a traditional bow without any kind of dedicated shelf/cutout for the arrows actually needs a properly sized wooden arrow so the arrow can flex the correct amount.  I'm planning on buying some arrows soon, but they're pricey.

NE Bull:
How old is the wee one now BK?  Ive got a cute pink kids starter bow she is welcome to.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version