General Categories > Non Gun Stuff

Archery, Anyone?

<< < (2/3) > >>

bkoenig:

--- Quote from: NE Bull on September 14, 2014, 11:24:06 PM ---How old is the wee one now BK?  Ive got a cute pink kids starter bow she is welcome to.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

--- End quote ---

She's 10, but has the upper body strength of an Ethiopian 5 year old.

I think she'll be able to draw the small bow I have.  Just need to have her try it.

landon410:
yep you're holding the bow wrong, I did the same thing when I first started archery 5 years ago.

Now I did it with a highspeed compound bow while shooting it at a store, it hurt so bad I almost wanted to cry! it left a mark on my arm for 2 years

What I'd do is take that bow of yours to full draw archery and buy some range time, they have an indoor range to shoot at and its cheap, like $8 for half an hour, there is an older guy that works there (don't remember his name) but I bet you he'd go in there with you and watch you shoot and get you straightened out in 2 minutes.

At one point this guy was working at Scheels and he helped me out with my hitting my arm with the string

RedBird:
You may want to increase your brace height (the distance between the grip and the string). A low brace height is another factor that can cause the string to slap your arm/wrist. Also, having the correct brace height will usually help quiet your bow.

GreyGeek:
IIRC, the law used to require a bow with a draw of 50lbs or more, but I guess that requirement has been dropped.  The current legal requirements for hunting deer with a bow are

--- Quote ---Long bow, compound bow, recurve bow, shoulder-fired non-electronic crossbow with a draw weight of at least 125 pounds, hand-thrown spear
 Arrows or spears must have a sharpened hunting head with a blade of at least 7/16-inch cutting radius from the center of the arrow shaft. Arrows or spears containing poison, stupefying chemical or having an explosive tip are illegal.

--- End quote ---

JimP:
I think maybe the brace height anwer is the right one..... I had not thought of that.

The string is hitting me in the wrist just behind the base of the thumb- even if I bent my wrist 90 degrees such that I was holding the bow from the left side (aside from being totally awkward), I think the string would still get me in the base of the thumb .....

Shortening the string will do what i need, I think ..... I'l try that..... it may be a couple days ....stay tuned.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version