< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: class 3 dealer looses large amount of weapons and ammo  (Read 4467 times)

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
class 3 dealer looses large amount of weapons and ammo
« on: September 23, 2014, 11:07:41 AM »
  sounds like someone knew what they were doing.

http://bearingarms.com/inside-job-class-iii-dealer-cleaned-machine-gun-thieves/
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
Re: class 3 dealer looses large amount of weapons and ammo
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 01:28:15 PM »
Canoe sinking?

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 01:30:32 PM »
didn't read link (my work computer didn't want to open it)

but...... doesn't the worlds largest class III "dealer" misplace thousands of firearms and millions of rounds of ammo and 10's or 100's of millions of $$ every year?

yep, it does.....

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 02:56:05 PM »
didn't read link (my work computer didn't want to open it)

but...... doesn't the worlds largest class III "dealer" misplace thousands of firearms and millions of rounds of ammo and 10's or 100's of millions of $$ every year?

yep, it does.....

I assume you mean our dear Uncle Sam? If so I disagree, they know exactly which Narco cartels and militant Islamic terror groups they've armed.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 06:10:46 PM »
I know a dealer that uses a regular padlock on a trailer, and this guy is known to load up pretty deep when he goes to a gun show.  I will not say who.  I carried a hockey puck lock into his office and suggested he upgrade, and told him about commercial trailer locks.  He said what he was using so far, had worked. 

You can lead a horse to water...........

Offline DenmanShooter

• NFOA Full Member
  • Fear No Evil
    • SolidRed
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 07:40:53 PM »
1 of 2 things here.

1.) Somebody knew his routine and staked it out.

2.) Inside job.

My 2 cents. 
The golf course is a willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range!      Jeff  Cooper

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 08:39:09 PM »
How many knew that on THAT evening he'd be leaving a trailer with so many goodies outside?  A fortuitous drive-by robbery?  I don't think so.  I vote inside, or he sunk his canoe.

Offline 66bigblock

• Lead Benefactor
  • When SHTF, which side of the Fan will you be on?
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 09:01:39 AM »
im having trouble thinking the guy stole his own guns.  For what - to sell them on the black market?  Send overseas?  Gangbangers? 

Im wondering how difficult it must be to get insurance to guarantee against theft of firearms, and if you do, is the company going to write a check when you had removed them from a secure building / safe and put them inside a moveable trailer?  Thus, Im wondering if the financial motive for stealing your own stuff to collect insurance is really a possibility.  Without that, where it the motive?

If you have finally achieved the necessary license to sell Class 3 stuff, are you willing to risk a felony and lose your livelihood just to have a few guns that you have no option other than selling illegally to reap the benefits of your master plan?

Im not sure that makes sense. 

Scenario I see.  Bad guy drives by gun store.  Bad guy sees trailer backed up to back door.  Bad guy sees employees carrying stuff into trailer.  Bad guy comes back and steals trailer. 

66bigblock
I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.  I carry a lot of ammo because I cant run very fast.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 10:04:12 AM »
im having trouble thinking the guy stole his own guns.  For what - to sell them on the black market?  Send overseas?  Gangbangers? 

I'm not.  The closer this country gets to collapse the more likely it is that some folks will increase their weapons caches to avoid confiscation when,not if,  the Feds come by to take them.   In a SHTF scenario the first place the Feds will hit are the stores and individuals with class III licenses and stores of automatic weapons and ammo.   He will be at or near the top of the list.   The feds can't steal what isn't there and the individual must have a valid reason for the weapons being gone.   "I'd like to report some stolen weapons!"   How did the thieves silently get into the trailer?   It appears they had a key.   Even if they were actually stolen by a person or persons unknown, there is little doubt that the Feds will sort him out with a fine tooth comb, going back for years into his personal and financial records.   If he so much as misplaced a comma in one of his records he'll be charged with something, if for no other reason than to be made an example.

Offline ghknives

• Gun Show Volunteer NRA Life member
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 02:44:41 PM »
If I was going to fake it I would have cut the locks off
I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I only love that which they defend.        J.R.R. Tolkein

Offline 66bigblock

• Lead Benefactor
  • When SHTF, which side of the Fan will you be on?
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2014, 03:16:15 PM »

66bigblock
I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.  I carry a lot of ammo because I cant run very fast.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2014, 08:14:45 PM »
That video assumes the lock he used was pickable.   He may well have done so, deliberately.

However, one also has to ask WHY he didn't have motion detectors protecting his $20K worth of guns and ammo?    I had Infrared motion detectors surrounding my home which automatically turned on the outside lights and sounded an alarm.   As a Class III license holder it was extremely foolish of him not to take such protective measures.   I still suspect the loss was a variation of the "my canoe sank" ploy.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2014, 09:41:41 PM »
in the comments of the Bearing Arms article... they found 1/3 of the guns with a felon's home.

link to video update: http://www.theindychannel.com/news/local-news/impd-portion-of-stolen-high-powered-guns-found-in-indy-home
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2014, 09:13:46 AM »
in the comments of the Bearing Arms article... they found 1/3 of the guns with a felon's home.

Interesting.  The story mentions a surveillance video but doesn't say if it was one recorded by the owner or one from a camera along the route taken by the crooks.   Finding 1/3rd of the weapons at the suspect's home suggests that two others were involved.

I don't think the owner is off the hook yet.   The captured suspect could "snitch" on the owner to obtain a deal from  the police and, in classic form, they could arrest the owner and while he is in  jail another jailhouse snitch could claim that the owner confessed to him that he was behind the theft.   There are so many snares laid out these days for gun owners and sellers.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2014, 02:29:19 PM »

66bigblock
Unpickable  or VERY DIFFICULT locks are not hard to find.

Offline DR4NRA

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2014, 02:54:31 PM »
Interesting.  The story mentions a surveillance video but doesn't say if it was one recorded by the owner or one from a camera along the route taken by the crooks.   Finding 1/3rd of the weapons at the suspect's home suggests that two others were involved.

I don't think the owner is off the hook yet.   The captured suspect could "snitch" on the owner to obtain a deal from  the police and, in classic form, they could arrest the owner and while he is in  jail another jailhouse snitch could claim that the owner confessed to him that he was behind the theft.   There are so many snares laid out these days for gun owners and sellers.

To divulge details about a security system set-up is not only dumb, but just plain idiotcy.

D.R

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2014, 08:07:03 AM »
To divulge details about a security system set-up is not only dumb, but just plain idiotcy.

That assumes, of course, that the security system from which the video came belonged to the victim and not some camera along the route the perps took, which showed the license tag of the truck hauling the trailer.