< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Remington 11-87  (Read 7607 times)

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
Remington 11-87
« on: January 19, 2008, 09:46:31 PM »

This is my shotgun set up for 3-gun matches. Remington 11-87 Semi-Auto 12 gauge. This gun has a plus 4 magazine tube, so it holds 8 in the mag tube plus 1 in the chamber. Gun also has an EZ-loader feed gate installed to facilitate stuffing the shells in quickly.

26" barrel, fiber optic sight. Also has a 6-shell side saddle installed.

Offline armed and humorous

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Remington 11-87
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 03:19:19 PM »
I never thought much of semi-autos, having grown up with pumps or double-barrels, until my shoulder went bad on me a few years ago.  I had pulled something at work the day before, and opening day of pheasant season, it felt pretty weird as I was getting things loaded into the truck.  I didn't think much of it, and I got the dogs and headed to my favorite spot.  About 15 minutes into the field, the first covey of quail exploded from the grass in front of me.  I was carrying the 870 pump my father-in-law gave me for a Christmas present years before, and it was loaded with #8 shot.  As I started to pull up on the birds and was picking one out to go for first, I suddenly realized I couldn't find the sights.  My arm wasn't working.  I couldn't bring the barrel up to shooting position.  Not wanting to miss out on what might be my only chance of the day (you don't get many on public lands any more), I managed to swing it up with what leverage I could muster with my trigger hand pulling against my other shoulder and squeezed off a round.  I didn't really have a chance to aim, but rather pointed in the general direction of the birds.  Nothing.  That sucked big time.  That was the end of my opening day hunt.  I wasn't able to raise my arm even to shoulder height again until after a rotator-cuff surgery.  Then, it took a long time before I had full range of motion, but I never did get much strength back.  That's when I decided I needed a semi-auto, and something lighter weight, too.  I got the 11-87 Premier that is about 4" shorter and considerably lighter.  I like it very much and have had no trouble with it after several years of use.
Can you tell me about the fiber-optic sight you have on yours?  Did you put it on, or did it come that way?  I've wanted to change my "white ball" front sight on both of my shotguns, but haven't found much info on what will work.  I think it is threaded but don't know the thread size or anything.
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 04:11:09 PM »
If you look real close at the picture you will see the white bead in front of the fiber optic. This is an inexpensive drop on (magnetic) Fiber optic sight I purchased at Cabelas for cheap. I want to say it was around $10-$15

I love that sight, and have shot many hundred rounds through the gun at 3-gun matches.... Works great

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 05:44:51 PM »
Chris:

Thanks for the tip.  The end of the barrel was chopped of in my display, but even by scrolling over I had a hard time seeing the white bead.  I've seen some of the magnetic type fiber optic sights and wondered how well they would stay in place or if they would cause any problems.  Still, if I had my druthers, I'd get a more permanent replacement if there is such a thing.  I may go ahead and try the magnetic if I don't find anything else.  I have fiber optic sights on a couple other guns and really like them.
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 09:05:17 PM »
Hey Chris, could you expand a little on what's involved in 3-gun competition?  I don't know a whole lot about it, but I've always thought it sounded intriguing.  Maybe it would be a good excuse to finally buy that AR I've been wanting. :)

Do semi and pump shotguns compete in the same class?  Any matches in the Lincoln/Omaha areas? 

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 10:25:56 PM »
Louisville at the Eastern Nebraska Gun club, they hold 3 gun matches. Looks like they have two more matches this year... Oct 18th and Dec 20th.

Basically it is like shooting USPSA action pistol, except you shoot three stages, usually One pistol stage, one rifle stage and one shotgun stage.

Weeping Water gun club also does three gun matches, but these are in a different format. You are paired up man on man against another shooter. You have three shooting stations, pistol, shotgun and rifle.... At the buzzer you knock down all of your steel pistol targets, unload and run over to your shotgun station, load up and shoot down your steel pepper popper targets, unload and then run to your rifle station where you load and shoot down 5 bowling pins located 200 yards down range. First competitor out of you and the other guy who gets all of his targets down wins. They run a double elimination bracket... So you will go at least twice, and if you are real good maybe 10 times!

Let me know if you have any questions

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 08:27:01 PM »
I'll AW on Chris' post...

This is me shooting my 870 at the August 3-gun match at the Heartland Public Shooting Park in Grand Island:

Here's a better pic of the gun:

When I shoot it in competition, I add a butt cuff for five extra rounds.  It's 8+1 with a 21" barrel, fiber optic front sight (with a regular bead too), Mesa 6-round side saddle, 870P forearm, and a +4 mag extension.

Three gun is a TON of fun and everyone should try it.  If you don't have a particular gun, ask around and see if you know someone else that's competing who'll let you use their gun(s) if you supply the ammo. 

GI is done with 3-gun for the season, but if they do it again, you are welcome to use my equipment.  GI runs their stages with all 3 guns on each stage with 4-6 stages per match.  I think max distance on rifle is ~50-75 yards.
NRA Life Member.

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 09:25:00 PM »
Chris:

I bought the magnetic fiber-optic front sight at Cabela's while I was up there meeting some of the group.  Looks like it might be the same one you got.  I think it will work alright.  Might slip a very thin shim on each side so it stays centered on the barrel better.  Otherwise, I look forward to trying it out in a few days.