< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Deer Rifles (Well Kind Of)  (Read 2792 times)

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
Deer Rifles (Well Kind Of)
« on: October 01, 2014, 11:26:26 PM »
Hey All,
Well, going to be taking grandson #2 out for his first deer this year. My role will be back up and filling my tag only after the GS has had his hunt. I am looking to use one of my more off the beaten path for deer hunting rifles just cause I can. Of the two pictured rifles does anyone have an opinion as to witch one may be more fun. ::)

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Deer Rifles (Well Kind Of)
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 12:10:28 AM »
 probably the top one, just make sure you get 5 round mags!
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 05:56:48 AM »
probably the top one, just make sure you get 5 round mags!
Good advice. The Krink (bottom) has a five round mag in it. All it takes to convert a ten round PSL mag is a pop rivet gun. Thought about using the PSL in the past but just never got around to it. The Krink would limit my range to pistol distance but where we hunt that's not an issue.

Offline barmandr

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 07:06:23 AM »
I'd go for the bottom one...more challenging=more fun for me.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 07:11:02 AM »
Good advice. The Krink (bottom) has a five round mag in it. All it takes to convert a ten round PSL mag is a pop rivet gun. Thought about using the PSL in the past but just never got around to it. The Krink would limit my range to pistol distance but where we hunt that's not an issue.

With PSL mags going for $40+ each these days, I would strongly advise against permanently modifying one of your mags. I'm sure a limiter of some sort like used in AR15 mags could be made/purchased that would work temporarily.

I'd vote for the Krink if it weren't for the horrible cheek weld on underfolders.  But then again, the PSL is going to be a pig to tote around...  :(

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 07:35:12 AM »
Come on rick, the grandson is gonna be the one doing the toting. Give him the PSL, they really re just that much fun.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 07:37:44 AM »
I've temporarily modified AR mags to only hold 5 rounds by sticking a block of wood under the follower.

I would say the correct answer is whichever rifle he thinks is cooler.  I'd choose the PSL if it was me.

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 08:46:39 PM »
No permanent mod on the PSL mag. On the back side there is a small hole for checking if its loaded or not. Pop rivet goes in there and limits the floor plate travel enough that only five rounds can be loaded. When done just drill out the rivet and its good to go for ten rounds.
Grand son is using a vintage 722 Remington in 300 Savage I picked up from a pawn shop in Nevada for my grand daughter. So far its taken seven deer between her and myself in the last few years. She has very generously loaned it to her little brother for this season.
It would be pretty cool to take a deer with the Krink but I must admit I would be a lot more comfortable with the scope sighted PSL.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 08:59:59 PM »
No permanent mod on the PSL mag. On the back side there is a small hole for checking if its loaded or not. Pop rivet goes in there and limits the floor plate travel enough that only five rounds can be loaded. When done just drill out the rivet and its good to go for ten rounds.
Grand son is using a vintage 722 Remington in 300 Savage I picked up from a pawn shop in Nevada for my grand daughter. So far its taken seven deer between her and myself in the last few years. She has very generously loaned it to her little brother for this season.
It would be pretty cool to take a deer with the Krink but I must admit I would be a lot more comfortable with the scope sighted PSL.

Good plan on the PSL mag.  :D

I have an Ishapore Enfield in .308 that I considered using for deer hunting one time.
Then I picked it up.  :o  Then I put it back down.   
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 09:06:27 PM »
Tell him if he's going to use one of your commie rifles he has to talk in a Russian accent the whole time.

"Ivan!  I am of shoot deer for glorious motherland."

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 09:51:38 PM »
Tell him if he's going to use one of your commie rifles he has to talk in a Russian accent the whole time.

"Ivan!  I am of shoot deer for glorious motherland."

you also must use this camo... such tactical.

Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2014, 09:36:37 AM »
Decided to go traditional vintage American instead. The Krink is just too problematic and the PSL would most likely scare the locals and get me turned in to Homeland Security :o
Good old Remington Model 81 in 30 Auto Rem.