< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: filter  (Read 2531 times)

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
filter
« on: October 02, 2014, 03:18:51 PM »
http://www.gundigest.com/gun-videos/video-ingenious-oil-filter-suppressor

Filters evidently have more than one use. I have a couple of shooting ranges out here on the farm where I use drained tractor filters for target practice.  They work great and take 100s of hits.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
Re: filter
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 03:38:36 PM »
What they don't really tell you is the filter is registered as the suppressor, is serialized, and does not last all that long. Once it's worn out, it is junked and you have to buy another one and pay another $200 tax on it, along with the usual wait from the ATF.

I'll pass.

Edit:  I was wrong. Here is the procedure from Cadiz: https://cadizgunworks.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=20_26_69

The Econo Can Suppressor comes as a complete unit with the oil filter attached, serial numbered and registered with ATF/NFA.

If or when you need to change the filter out, the ATF/NFA rules says it needs to come back to the original manufacture, which Cadiz Gun Works is. The cost is $25.00. The complete Econo-Can Suppressor can be shipped directly to us, for gunsmithing, which would be replacement/rehab/repair of the oil filter, with the serial # remarked, and documented as being replaced/rehabbed/repaired. The completed Econo Can Suppressor can be sent back to you at your address on your NFA Tax Stamp Form. You do not need to go though a dealer for gunsmithing services. The life of the oil filter varies depending on caliber used and bullet type.

I'll still pass... too much of a PITA for me. I'll stick with my real suppressors.   ;)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 03:44:51 PM by FarmerRick »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 03:56:11 PM »
 there are adapters all over E bay , called solvent trap adapters. basicially, its a 1/2-28 to what ever oil filter you are going to use,
   most probably are doing this without a permit,
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 06:11:09 PM »
Hmm,.... I swear, when I checked into these a while back, only the adapter was registered with the ATF, (At least for the folks selling the adapters alone. ) Is it possible this company is trying keep selling folks $5 filters for $25
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 06:21:02 PM »
To clarify I shoot at used filters, I've never tried one as a suppressor.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

Offline newfalguy101

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 06:23:23 PM »
Hmm,.... I swear, when I checked into these a while back, only the adapter was registered with the ATF, (At least for the folks selling the adapters alone. ) Is it possible this company is trying keep selling folks $5 filters for $25

When you dig deep enough on their website, it IS there in black and white that the filter is registered and serialized

Offline m0par

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 08:41:11 PM »
When you dig deep enough on their website, it IS there in black and white that the filter is registered and serialized

Yep. I clearly remember they used to sell just the adapter as the serialized/nfa part. It wasn't being sold as a solvent trap. It was being sold as a registered suppressor, and you supplied your own oil filter.

Well, at least it was being advertised that way. I don't know if they actually sold/transferred any before having to change.
"Where the people fear the government you have tyranny. Where the government fears the people you have liberty."--John Basil Barnhill

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 10:20:53 PM »
this page: http://www.sdtacticalarms.com/Hardware_c_8.html  is selling end caps and "centering tools"

just buy the a real suppressor.  better quality, better performance.  and your freedom and right to vote isn't worth some garbage from ebay.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 10:29:03 PM »
 HUH.   parts to use a Mag light as a tube, I guess walking dead last year wasn't that far off!
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 10:46:47 PM »
The maglite suppressors are an interesting idea for someone who wants to try building their own but doesn't have the tools.  As long as you get the stamp ahead of time I think it's a great idea.  The more people who own suppressors the better.

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 12:41:12 AM »
And the Maglite tube comes with it's own serial number.
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 10:37:59 AM »

My understanding is that Cadiz was advised by ATF that user replacement of the filter would be the making of an NFA item, whereas replacement by the maker would not be the making of a new NFA item. Cadiz was not originally serializing the filters, just the adapters, but now they mark the filter with a matching number and maker name.

I have zero sources to cite for this, so take it for what it is worth.