< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Steel Challenge - October 19, 2014 @ ENGC  (Read 2675 times)

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
Steel Challenge - October 19, 2014 @ ENGC
« on: October 06, 2014, 10:12:40 AM »
We will be having a Steel Challenge on October 19, 2014. This is a 6 stage match with all stages being official Steel Challenge stages (Appendix E1). This match is open to the public and will be held at Eastern Nebraska Gun Club (Directions) near Louisville.

This is a fun and exciting match that focuses entirely on shooting skill. There is no running or reloading on the clock, it's all about how fast and accurately you can shoot! It's a great match for new competition shooters as it is much simpler and straight-forward than other types of matches. That said, there is certainly plenty of challenge to be had as the competition is always fierce!

This is also one of the few matches we allow .22lr guns. So if you like to shoot .22s, this is your match!

Important Note: Everyone must be in line by 8:30AM at the latest or you will not be allowed to shoot! Please do not show up late! We do not want to turn people away but we will have to if you are late.

Online Pre-Registration: https://clubs.practiscore.com/enps-october-steel-challenge/register
Please note that you must show up prior to 8:30AM to pay and sign in with match staff even if you pre-register!

Match Fee: $15.

Schedule Is As Follows:
  • Setup will start at 7:15AM. We appreciate any help we can get with setup. The more people we have, the faster we can get shooting!
  • Registration closes promptly at 8:30AM. If you are not in line by 8:30AM, you will not be allowed to shoot the match! We will, as always, do our best to accommodate squadding requests but your chances are exponentially better at getting those requests fulfilled if you register online or show up very early on match day!
  • Safety and New Shooter Briefing begins at 8:40AM.
  • Shooters’ Meeting starts at 9:00AM.
  • Match begins immediately following the Shooters’ Meeting.
Equipment You Will Need:
  • A centerfire handgun chambered in 9x19mm or larger OR a centerfire revolver OR a .22LR Handgun OR a .22LR Rifle
  • A holster if you are shooting a centerfire handgun. It is highly recommended you get one designed specifically for your gun and not a universal holster. A holster is not required for those shooting .22LR handguns.
  • Plenty of ammunition. It never hurts to have “too much” ammo. While you may not use every round, I always recommend a couple hundred rounds (in case of necessary reshoots or "make up shots").

Not sure what division you have the equipment for?
Centerfire Handguns follow the USPSA rules for divisions: http://www.uspsa.org/document_library/rules/2014/Feb%202014%20Handgun%20Rules.pdf

List of Production division approved handguns: http://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-NROI-production-gunlist.php

.22LR handguns and rifles are Limited or Open. Use of a compensator or optic puts you into Open, everything else qualifies for Limited division.

If you have any questions please reply to this thread or PM me! I will do what I can to help you out. :)

Offline greg58

• Lead Benefactor
Re: Steel Challenge - October 19, 2014 @ ENGC
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 12:01:41 PM »
Sean, what is the age cut-off for Senior and Super Senior?
What does the Major and Minor mean?

Thanks Greg58
Pants Up!  Don't Loot!

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 12:09:22 PM »
Sean, what is the age cut-off for Senior and Super Senior?
What does the Major and Minor mean?

Thanks Greg58

According to the newest edition of the USPSA rulebook "seniors" are "competitors over the age of 55 on the first day of the match."

The same rulebook states that "super seniors" are "competitors over the age of 65 on the first day of the match. A competitor over the age of 65 on the first day of the match may enter Senior Category only if Super Senior is unavailable."

Major and minor are power factors. It's not relevant for this particular match as a hit is a hit in Steel Challenge. It matters much more for USPSA matches. Choose either or. I think it's required to be there by Practiscore's page.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 12:12:05 PM by SeanN »

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 05:22:59 PM »
I don't know that ENGC's matches have Senior or Super Senior divisions.   Us geezers have to compete with the young bucks and their good eyes and non-arthritic joints.  :(  (And yes, it will happen to you.) 

:)
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 08:33:05 PM »
I don't know that ENGC's matches have Senior or Super Senior divisions.   Us geezers have to compete with the young bucks and their good eyes and non-arthritic joints.  :(  (And yes, it will happen to you.) 

Ah, but they aren't divisions---they are categories

You still have to shoot against everyone else, but you can ALSO win an award for beating the rest of the geezers old folks grumpy codgers distinguished gentlemen of a certain age.
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 08:35:13 PM »
You still have to shoot against everyone else, but you can ALSO win an award for beating the rest of the geezers old folks grumpy codgers distinguished gentlemen of a certain age.

Hey, I resemble that remark.

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 07:01:48 AM »
Ah, but they aren't divisions---they are categories

Yep.  IF there's a grumpy codger geezer category.  :) 

Go Team Geritol! 

"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 10:15:13 AM »
Yep.  IF there's a grumpy codger geezer category.  :) 

Go Team Geritol! 

We definitely take note of it and it's noted in the results. As of now we aren't giving out category awards *at matches* (You'll notice no one gets awards at matches!). There may or may not be category awards at the annual ENPS banquet though. ;)

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 07:54:31 AM »
The last SC match I preregistered for didn't have a "senior" category at the time I registered.  At least I didn't catch it anyway.   I see it there now though.  Cool! 

I just wanted to be recognized for being alive at my age.  :)  (The obits get pretty scary to read when you're on the far side of 50.) 

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 09:09:30 AM »
The last SC match I preregistered for didn't have a "senior" category at the time I registered.  At least I didn't catch it anyway.   I see it there now though.  Cool! 

I just wanted to be recognized for being alive at my age.  :)  (The obits get pretty scary to read when you're on the far side of 50.) 

50 , you whipper snapper.

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 09:24:05 AM »
50 , you whipper snapper.

Ha!  50 wouldn't qualify me for the "Senior" category!   (Quite possibly one of the more coveted titles in all of shooting sports.) 

Guy A: Look at that guy!  He's a Senior.

Guy B: Wow!  But he can't shoot!

Guy A:  So?!? He's a Senior!

See how this works? 

:) 

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 12:13:16 PM »
Make sure you're registered everyone! Only 5 days til the match! Should be a ton of fun (as usual).

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2014, 09:53:20 AM »
Looks like the weather is going to be clear and sunny---get yourself signed up!

https://clubs.practiscore.com/enps-october-steel-challenge/register

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2014, 01:34:54 PM »
Any fees for coming to observe the event? I am not ready to shoot, especially not with my tiny gun.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2014, 01:47:59 PM »
Any fees for coming to observe the event? I am not ready to shoot, especially not with my tiny gun.

Nope, no fee.  Anyone is welcome to come observe the match.  (And heckle Sean, too, that's always good!) 

Matter of fact, this is probably a good time to remind folks that you don't have to be a member of ENGC to shoot the USPSA, Steel Challenge, and Multigun matches.  And coming to observe the match doesn't cost anything.

C'mon out!

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2014, 04:13:23 PM »
Just make sure that you bring protection.   :D

Eyes, Ears, and most wear a ball cap. Steel tends to splatter ammo.
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2014, 09:34:41 PM »
I wonder if we'll break the record for number of shooters at a SC match tomorrow?  We've got 70 shooters signed up, and it is supposed to be a BEAUTIFUL day...

...come out and shoot!

(We need 79 to tie the record.  80 to set a new record.)

Offline Mudnrox

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2014, 07:04:44 PM »

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2014, 07:56:10 PM »
Well, we didn't break the record---but we DID have 73 shooters at the match!  Good to see everyone out there, and the weather was just about perfect for shooting.

Next SC match is on November 23rd, so if you had fun at this one, write the next one down on your calendar, and watch this forum because SeanN will post the registration link when it is available.