< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: CNC Machine for AR-15 lowers  (Read 3472 times)

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
CNC Machine for AR-15 lowers
« on: October 06, 2014, 08:58:15 PM »
I thought this looked interesting for all who have talked about getting an 80% lower.  Currently it is sold out.  If it works, it could be an interesting toy.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/ghost-gunner-making-ars-home-never-easy/

https://ghostgunner.net/faq.html

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
Re: CNC Machine for AR-15 lowers
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 09:44:49 PM »
Hmmmm   anyone want to go in on getting one? could set up a service, letting people use the machine to make there own,

never mind, I read the whole thing, Its illegal to allow others to use the machine,
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 10:07:51 PM by shooter »
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 09:46:03 PM »
Hmmmm   anyone want to go in on getting one? could set up a service, letting people use the machine to make there own,
Yeah.... that's a ATF no no now a days.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 09:52:16 PM »
I saw the ghost gunner a little while ago. I want to do a lower, but when they are so cheap, its not worth it.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 03:41:25 PM »
I saw the ghost gunner a little while ago. I want to do a lower, but when they are so cheap, its not worth it.
Unless you are planning on making multiple lowers.  Can't recall the going rate for milled lowers right away (and the sites are blocked here at work) but I believe that at you only need about 5 to break even, right?
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 03:43:17 PM »
Yeah.... that's a ATF no no now a days.

Correct. From the FAQ on their site (https://ghostgunner.net/faq.html)

Is manufacturing a firearm legal?

In general, yes. Semi-automatic firearms, including the AR-15 lower receivers, are generally legal to manufacture for private individuals per US federal law Title 18 do not require serialization or other maker's marks. However, some states/municipalities restrict either the manufacture of certain firearms, or, more recently, the personal manufacture of a firearm with a 3D printer and/or CNC machine. DD makes no claim regarding local manufacturing legality; lower receiver files provided by Defense Distributed might require special licensing to manufacture and/or possess.

Under federal law, manufacturing a firearm for contemplation of future sale without an FFL is prohibited. Without a manufacturing FFL, you should manufacture firearms for personal use only. There are methods to legally transfer ownership of personally manufactured firearms, but they do not apply when the original manufacturing intent is to build a firearm for commercial or non-personal use. Recent ATF determinations have signaled that allowing others use of your CNC equipment may itself constitute manufacturing, therefore Defense Distributed advises GhostGunner owners to neither print firearms for other individuals, nor allow other individuals to use their GhostGunner to manufacture firearms.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 03:55:36 PM »
However, there's nothing to prevent a group of 5 or 10 friends from all chipping in and buying one together.....

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 04:07:20 PM »
I was wondering about that.  What is the result if 10 people chipped in and bought this thing and then each built their own lowers?

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 04:10:53 PM »
 Ive bought 2 AR-15,s this week off armslist, no paperwork, just cash and show purchase permit. they didn't take info, just wanted to see I had one, seems like a lot of trouble to make your own,
 NRA Endowment member

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 10:55:08 PM »
The price of a lower is cheap. A 80% billet is more expensive then a Anderson lower pretty much any where now a days. But for me its a personal thing. I like the fact that it is a lower I "made". I can make it just the way I want it. No company names no roll marks. I can put what ever I for a selector switch, I can truly make it my rifle. I would like to build a SBR out of a 80% lower. If I have to spend the extra coin on a tax stamp I want to make sure it is something that I really like. Kind of silly I know but how often do we do things like this? A lot!

CNC is over rated in my opinion when it comes to a 80% lower. All a person really needs to do it cleanly is a fixture and vertical mill. If a group of guys got together and used the same fixture with a manual machine there is no issue based on MY understanding. They as individuals are manufacturing the lower. CNC gets a red flag thrown up because shots were having build parties were they would charge 20 bucks for you to bring your lower in bolt it down and press run. The individual was not manufacturing anything. He was using someone else code to manufacture his lower. A lot of reading between the lines on this subject but the AFT gets to do that.

Big question is when is BK getting a vertical mill? He needs to expand his machine tools! :)

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 11:08:06 PM »
The price of a lower is cheap. A 80% billet is more expensive then a Anderson lower pretty much any where now a days. But for me its a personal thing. I like the fact that it is a lower I "made". I can make it just the way I want it. No company names no roll marks. I can put what ever I for a selector switch, I can truly make it my rifle. I would like to build a SBR out of a 80% lower. If I have to spend the extra coin on a tax stamp I want to make sure it is something that I really like. Kind of silly I know but how often do we do things like this? A lot!

CNC is over rated in my opinion when it comes to a 80% lower. All a person really needs to do it cleanly is a fixture and vertical mill. If a group of guys got together and used the same fixture with a manual machine there is no issue based on MY understanding. They as individuals are manufacturing the lower. CNC gets a red flag thrown up because shots were having build parties were they would charge 20 bucks for you to bring your lower in bolt it down and press run. The individual was not manufacturing anything. He was using someone else code to manufacture his lower. A lot of reading between the lines on this subject but the AFT gets to do that.

Big question is when is BK getting a vertical mill? He needs to expand his machine tools! :)

Ummmm I got a mill,
 NRA Endowment member

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2014, 01:27:41 AM »
I have no idea why this is getting air time on news sites.

Go read about the shovel AK47 or something.  Far more interesting.  Far more practical.

Reading about the home made ak47's will also get you into what the legal requirements of manufacturing your own firearms are as well, etc.  IE: when you first bent that piece of metal, stamping, etc.

And home made CNC's can be built relatively cheaply (I'm collecting parts....)... soooo... whatever :D

hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D