< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: what kind of weapon is this?  (Read 3084 times)

Offline grumpy old man

• NFOA Full Member
    • Stand Up For It !
what kind of weapon is this?
« on: October 11, 2014, 08:11:20 PM »
I would like to know what kind of weapon is in the photo.  In the near future I am going to be looking for a semi auto military style weapon.  Not interested in an AR-15 as I am looking for something that the barrel is a little shorter and could be used when the SHTF.  something that could reach out and touch its target at 200 yds but be nimble enough to carry without a four foot long rifle strapped to me.  would eventually put a good laser optic on it with a fore-grip.  Any ideas.  I know a lot about pistols but I haven't been around military style rifles even during my time in the military as I was in the M60A3 combat tanks. 
"One man with courage is a majority." Thomas Jefferson

“The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” Thomas Jefferson

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: what kind of weapon is this?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 08:16:11 PM »
That's an SBR. (Short barreled rifle.) looks like a 7 inch barrel.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline grumpy old man

• NFOA Full Member
    • Stand Up For It !
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 08:18:14 PM »
That's an SBR. (Short barreled rifle.) looks like a 7 inch barrel.

Thanks but what is the make and model?  I should have put that in there.  My bad.  thanks for that info though.  its more than I knew before!

“The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” Thomas Jefferson

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 08:19:48 PM »
That is an AR-15 with a short barrel.  That's the great thing about AR-15s, you can mix and match a lot of different parts to make it what you want.  Keep in mind short barrels such as this will require a $200 tax, paperwork, background check, and a wait while everything is processed, etc.  In regards to what you are looking for, specifically a rifle that can reach out to 200 yards, well you may be looking at the wrong barrel length in the photo.  Even a 16" or longer AR doesn't do that great out to 200 yards if you are talking shooting through body armor. 

An AR-10 (.308) or AR-15 in .300AAC might be more capable out to 200 yards.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 08:21:44 PM »
Thanks but what is the make and model?  I should have put that in there.  My bad.  thanks for that info though.  its more than I knew before!

I can't quite make out the brand on the lower, but it looks to me like this is a combination of several manufacturer's parts.  It really doesn't matter what the brand is, you can probably find all the parts and put it together and/or have someone help you put it together.  It is fun, a learning experience, and rewarding to build one.

Fly

Offline grumpy old man

• NFOA Full Member
    • Stand Up For It !
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 08:24:00 PM »
That is an AR-15 with a short barrel.  That's the great thing about AR-15s, you can mix and match a lot of different parts to make it what you want.  Keep in mind short barrels such as this will require a $200 tax, paperwork, background check, and a wait while everything is processed, etc.  In regards to what you are looking for, specifically a rifle that can reach out to 200 yards, well you may be looking at the wrong barrel length in the photo.  Even a 16" or longer AR doesn't do that great out to 200 yards if you are talking shooting through body armor. 

Fly

thanks, you can tell I dont know much about these weapons.  Ok I will have to change my style of thinking.  Any ideas on a weapon that would be good when the SHTF?  can you find one that shoots 7.62 nato round?  what round would be best?  any websites that would help me?

Offline grumpy old man

• NFOA Full Member
    • Stand Up For It !
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 08:26:00 PM »
I can't quite make out the brand on the lower, but it looks to me like this is a combination of several manufacturer's parts.  It really doesn't matter what the brand is, you can probably find all the parts and put it together and/or have someone help you put it together.  It is fun, a learning experience, and rewarding to build one.

Fly

since a person could build one I would assume the $200 tax and reporting such an item is not mandated by law?  how could i start a project like this?

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2014, 08:30:10 PM »
Creating an SBR without the tax stamp is a federal felony.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline grumpy old man

• NFOA Full Member
    • Stand Up For It !
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 08:31:50 PM »
Creating an SBR without the tax stamp is a federal felony.

Good to know!!!

Offline DenmanShooter

• NFOA Full Member
  • Fear No Evil
    • SolidRed
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014, 08:33:50 PM »
Get one of these at Cabelas and you don't need the Federal paperwork....

Add a Sig brace and a magpul angled foregrip (can't have a vert grip) a sight and voila...

The golf course is a willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range!      Jeff  Cooper

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2014, 08:34:19 PM »
You still have to pay the $200 tax, fill out an ATF Form 1, get your lower receiver engraved with the manufacturer info (you) and wait for approval.  The only difference if you buy vs build is that buying one is a Form 4 and it's already engraved.

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2014, 08:34:56 PM »
DO NOT start building a SBR before you get your tax stamp, extreme Illegal,

now as far as a SHTF rifle. Im building one now,

a H&K 53, this has a 8.5 inch barrel, 25, 30, and 40 round mags,

im waiting on my tax stamp so I can put a stock on it,

Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2014, 08:52:40 PM »
Good to know!!!

Let me clarify a few things...

If you want a short barrel rifle (SBR) regardless of whether you buy it already built or buy the parts to build it, you MUST fill out the paperwork as bkoenig stated, pay your $200 tax stamp, etc.

Regarding building the rest of the rifle, or a non-SBR rifle, you can buy all the parts pre-made.  The "lower" is the portion of the gun with the trigger guard, magazine well, pistol grip, etc.  THIS is what is considered the firearm by the ATF.  The rest of the parts are just...well...parts.  You can buy a stripped (no parts, just an empty shell that you add parts to) from MANY manufacturers.  So by "building" your own firearm, I was referring to the act of purchasing the pre-made parts and putting them together.

Regarding what "would be best for a SHTF" rifle.  There is no perfect rifle and/or caliber.  You have to do some reading and make that determination for yourself.  Be aware, when you build one, they will start to pro-create and the next thing you know you have six "SHTF rifles".  One SBR for close quarters.  One 20" barrel for long range.  One in .300AAC.  One AR-10 (7.62/.308). etc. etc.  They are like rabbits or Tribbles.

Check out AR15.com (a.k.a. ARFCOM).  Read and be cautious about asking newb questions without doing a COMPLETE search because there are many web commandos that will rip off your head and $hit down your neck for asking a question that they have seen before.  Better yet, read on AR15.com, then come back here to get a friendly answer. 

I personally am largely inexperienced in the AR-15, or most rifles for that matter, but there are many hear with great amounts of knowledge on the subject.

Fly

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2014, 09:25:40 PM »

Fly

300BO was designed for CQB 200 yds is pushing things.... 6.8spc with a short barrel has a lot more reach.

Just like any firearm bullet selection and shot placement is key. If you shoot someone at 200 yes with a fmj reload compared to a M855 you are going to have a big performance difference.

My rifle is a 14.5" barrel blind pinned and welded to 16". This saves about 1.5" of overall length. This is a legal way to get a slightly shorter over all length.

Edit:

Also if you want to a SHTF rifle I would pick one that is a NATO 5.56 7.62. This will make ammo replenishment a lot more likely compared to any other "Wildcat" calibers.

Oh yes and BRD Black Rifle Disease is hard to kick.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 09:32:18 PM by tstuart34 »

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2014, 09:40:16 PM »

Offline barmandr

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2014, 09:41:54 PM »
You still have to pay the $200 tax, fill out an ATF Form 1, get your lower receiver engraved with the manufacturer info (you) and wait for approval.  The only difference if you buy vs build is that buying one is a Form 4 and it's already engraved.

No, that is not correct.  The weapon shown is an AR pistol with a Sig wrist brace.  It is NOT a rifle and does NOT require any tax stamp.  It is completely legal in the configuration shown.  The part appearing to be a stock is not actually a stock.  It is designed to wrap around the forearm and act as a support brace when firing the pistol.

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2014, 09:51:04 PM »
No, that is not correct.  The weapon shown is an AR pistol with a Sig wrist brace.  It is NOT a rifle and does NOT require any tax stamp.  It is completely legal in the configuration shown.  The part appearing to be a stock is not actually a stock.  It is designed to wrap around the forearm and act as a support brace when firing the pistol.

the first pic that Brandonhein posted is a SBR<
   the second pic in line that DenmanShooter posted is a sig brace pistol,

Brandonhein asked about is a SBR,
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline barmandr

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2014, 10:41:01 PM »
The one with the arm brace is the one bk responded to saying he would "still" need the tax stamp. 

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2014, 11:37:41 PM »
I meant a sbr - I was slow posting and didn't see the sig brace.  That would not require a tax stamp.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2014, 11:47:23 PM »
Disregard. Thought you were talking about my post.  Carry on.

Fly
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 11:59:24 PM by OnTheFly »