< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Primary Arms 1-6x  (Read 1899 times)

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
Primary Arms 1-6x
« on: October 13, 2014, 09:13:48 PM »
So I have been lusting over this scope since I first read about it a year or so ago. I have had several opportunity to buy but never had the funds available to pick one up. Finally last month I had some extra cash to pick one up. But they hadn't been available for months. So I started checking EBay I had seen them offer blemished models in the past. (My whole rifle is blemished.... I like price breaks on things that won’t stay pretty :laugh:) Finally they put 5 up for sale. They had been mounted in rings but never shot. They still held the PA 3 year warranty which was even better! So I hit the buy it now $220 plus shipping which is $60 less than retail which is $280. I picked up a scope mount for $35. It is a no name scope mount but it seems to be built solid (extra weight) but I can’t see spending hundreds of dollars on a mount for a budget optic. I finally got the optic that I wanted to top off my rifle.

I have never had a super high end scope but the glass is clearer than any scope I have owned. I have shot a Nikon p223 and I would rate it at the same level. It comes with flip up lens caps but they are cheap. They lock close tight.... so tight I have a hard time opening without pulling them off the lens. I can live with for now maybe and upgrade in the future but not a must for me. The reticle is laser etched so it is very precise. It has BDC for 556, 5.45 and 308 out to 800 yds. It comes with an instruction guide on how to zero based on caliber, bullet, barrel length and elevation. It also has a break down on how to use the BDC and the ranging that is built into the scope. It is very important that you study the reticle. When shooting in a competition you don't to forget where to aim (fail at this). It is a 1/2 moa adjustments on the turrets. They have a way to zero the turrets but it is a sheet metal cover that can be rotated under the cap. Not really meant for a lot of use. The main part of the reticle is illuminated red and is very bright to dim. It is not meant to be daytime bright but you can see red if you crank it up. Kind of a neat touch they added back up battery in one of the adjustment caps for that "oh snap" Moment.

Zeroing this scope was very easy. Because I was using M193 ammo and a 14.5" barrel I had to zero at 50 yards. I wasn't looking for single hole punching so I got to a happy point and moved to the 100yd range. Scope shot fine there also. I didn't get to stretch it out further that day because the 300yd range wasn't open at the Ikes. I ran this scope at the DC shootout at the end of September. It worked out great for me. I am not the most experienced shooter but I was able to use the scope on 1x and put rounds on target quickly and transition quickly to the next. The furthest we shot that day was 200yds at steel plates. I struggled at first because I was not using the Reticle properly. I went brain dead and was using the 400yd hash so I was putting rounds at the top of the target stand. Once the RO yelled high I adjusted and put 17 of the next 20ish rounds on steel.

I really like this scope and can't wait to get out and shoot it more and try and push the BDC out as far as possible. This not the best review I’m sure but wanted to pass on this great scope. PA is a great company that has given me very good service with the several transactions i have made with them. The company has based there name on customer service they do everything they can to make every customer a happy customer.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_1_6X_Scope_with_Patented_ACSS_Reticle_p/paps1-6x.htm

« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 09:17:29 PM by tstuart34 »

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: Primary Arms 1-6x
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 09:24:15 PM »
Looks like a good scope for the money, I've heard pretty much nothing but positives about PA.

The reticle looks similar to my Burris Tac 30, although IIRC it's only graduated out to 600 for .223.