< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: My Patriot Supply  (Read 3529 times)

Offline thirtydaZe

• NFOA Full Member
My Patriot Supply
« on: October 15, 2014, 08:01:45 PM »
Any one ever try this, or own any of the food?  I know i wont get called paranoid here, but i get a bit more concerned as S begins to HTF a bit more each day.

Obviously i have weapons, a bunch of gear to survive although have not put together a BOB yet.

One thing i dont really have much of in non perishable food, but everyother day i load a shopping cart online at mypatriotsupply but never hit submit.

Its abit pricey i guess, but A 6 mos supply could/should do 3 mos for two adults.  We also have an 11 month old to be concerned about too.  I dont really mind spending the money buta wife could get upset about it too, as it could save your life, or it could sit there and waste.

Also water needs to be taken into consideration, both for drinking, and rehydrating this stuff.

Anyhow just curious if anyones tried one of these food systems, or if you have better resources, and ideas to share.

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
Re: My Patriot Supply
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 08:28:05 PM »
 the long term stuff is good, but first build up your regular food, you should have at least 6 months of what you usually eat,  extra salt and spices m several hundred pounds of rice, dried and canned beans, theres a lot of stuff to get before the long term stuff,

and don't forget the barbed wire
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline grumpy old man

• NFOA Full Member
    • Stand Up For It !
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 10:19:00 PM »
Buy a lot of canned meat at your store, it's much cheaper and it's not traceable.  Obama signed into law (was a part of a bigger law) that allows the government to come into your house and take your food during an emergency.  Google it!  They will get the info from people who order the stuff online.  Stock up on tuna, DEK ham, and canned protein the stuff u order online doesn't have a lot of protein.
"One man with courage is a majority." Thomas Jefferson

“The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 10:10:31 AM »
There are much, much cheaper ways to stock up on long-term storage food than buying the pre-packaged stuff.  If you prefer pre-packaged, Auguson Farms is a very good source.

If you're looking for some inexpensive, local, relevant training, check out www.emergiprep.com ;)

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 01:22:05 PM »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 01:42:48 PM »
The local LDS cannery has a bigger selection from what I hear.
http://jesus-christ-of-latter-day-saints-churches.cmac.ws/omaha-bishops-storehouse/4034/

How does it work at the Bishop's Warehouse?
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 01:46:22 PM »
How does it work at the Bishop's Warehouse?

Not exactly sure as I've never been there myself.  Here is some info from the site: https://www.lds.org/bc/content/shared/content/english/pdf/welfare/Canneries%20and%20Food%20Processing%20Plants%20Summary.pdf?lang=eng
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 02:29:05 PM »
"Ready.gov" and other sites have great lists of foods that are good for long term storage, and it seems wise to always have a full pantry, plus several big carboys of water like they sell for office water tanks. But beyond that, these companies trying to sell kits sound like a racket, IMHO.  A couple trips to Sam's club would seem to do the trick just as well.
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 06:06:35 PM »
Obama signed into law (was a part of a bigger law) that allows the government to come into your house and take your food during an emergency.

Executive Order 13603.

Electricity will be spotty in an SHTF  scenario.  So, have most of your long term food as canned and dry goods that do not need refrigeration.  After your build your stockpile, keep it refreshed by eating off the old stock and replacing it with fresh stock, so that you'll have the freshest food available when trouble starts.  The "Good Till" dates are just manufacturers attempts to get you to cycle foodstuffs that are still good.   Canned and dry goods have been proven by the military to last 10 times or more longer than what the mfgrs say they will.  I will use canned goods until they leak or swell up.  I will used packaged dry goods until I see weevils or bugs, then I'll eat them as well.

As far as water goes, which is your most valuable resource,  a reverse osmosis device working off of city water pressure is good,  but if the water pressure disappears you'll need a ceramic hand pumped filter that can do remove organisms above 0.2 microns in size:
http://www.amazon.com/Katadyn-8013618-Pocket-Water-Microfilter/dp/B0007U00YE/ref=sr_1_3?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1413500469&sr=1-3&keywords=ceramic+water+filter

If you need refrigeration then a thermoelectric refrigerator powered by your car battery is what you need, if you have perishable medical supplies to keep.  Having a photovoltic solar collector will help power it if gasoline disappears.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 06:09:25 PM by GreyGeek »

Offline zofoman

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 06:36:35 PM »
As far as water goes, which is your most valuable resource,...........
This is one reason why we live in the country, with a sizeable pond with fish in the pond, firewood is corded, a full deep freeze, canned goods, gallons of kerosene & kerosene heater and lamps, back up generator, batteries, an ample supply of ammunition & arms....the zofoman is a happy camper.   But, back on topic, there are a number of suppliers of MRE stuff out there -  just need to watch shelf life & expiration dates before purchasing.
"What, me worry?"  ~ Alfred E. Neuman

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2014, 11:32:19 AM »
one thing that is really handy, are those vacume packed cans of seeds, at least you will have something to start with in the spring, and start gardening, it takes awhile to get it down so you actually get food
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2014, 12:48:47 PM »
Zofoman, how are your medical supplies?  Have ample quantities of Iodine, bandages, and over the counter treatments, especially for eyes, ears and teeth?  Splints for broken bones.  Been to a vet pharmacy and picked up sulfa drugs and fungus based anti-biotics.  Forget Penicillin, Tetracyclines and other abused antibiotics.    Has everyone in your family had their appendix removed?  Surgical supplies OK?  Are you prepared to remove an appendix or pull a tooth, splint a fracture or surgically close a compound fracture and setting that bone after restoring an aseptic environment around area.

shooter, packing seeds are a good idea.  If the SHTF today, one would have to survive on stored food until the first crops come in after the spring planting.  Starting indoors or in a green house would give you an extra month or two on the spring harvest, but at the earliest one could expect no self-produced food until late April or early May, depending on when the last freeze is.   To avoid that and have food production the year around allow me to recommend something like this, which cultivates only 800 sq feet.
Charles prefers the term “high tunnel” to greenhouse because, she explains, her 20- by 40-foot enclosure is not externally heated. Instead, it is heated in winter and cooled in summer by air that travels through a series of underground tubes, part of a subterranean heating/cooling system.

Now completing her fifth winter growing season, Charles supplies fresh greens all year long to her own family, 20 to 25 regular customers and to the Food Co-op and Food Bank when supplies are plentiful enough. She grows 10 types of lettuce, three varieties of arugula, five kinds of Asian greens and four herbs. By trial and error, she has discovered that during the cold months, seeds get a better start under powerful fluorescent lights in the basement of her home. Every couple of weeks she plants 80 or so seeds that she’ll transplant into her high tunnel after they’ve gotten a good start.
For that you'll need a compost pile of a good size to recycle.  Also, growing worms wouldn't be a bad idea to create fertilizer.  Lot's of helpful ideas, and free plans, are here.

In a SHTF scenario a LOT of people are going to be deparately roaming the landscape looking for game to shoot or catch so they can eat and live.  Most will be completely unskilled at hunting and will litter the landscape with dead animals which crept away to die after being hit in a non-vital area.  Lakes and streams will quickly be seined out of fish.  Many species of birds will be added to the Carrier Pigeon, perhaps even sparrows.  Not only squirrels but even rats and mice will be hunted to near extinction.  As the wanders run out of ammo and game they'll start eating grasses, leaves and other things to stave off starvation.  Not many of them will think to dig up worms, grubs or hunt for insects, most of which are 70% protein, or if they do, the idea will repel them, even as they starve.   Many will consider cannibalism and some will do it.

Sooner or later you will be running low on ammo, especially if your bug-out spot is constantly being attacked.   You two major problems will be Lead, primer and powder,  and you may be forced to use Copper in place of Lead.  Powder will have to be made by collecting Urine and processing it to form Nitrates.  From it you can make black powder, but you'll need a weapon designed to shoot black powder.   Making gun cotton would require sulfuric and nitric acid, which will be more difficult to make, but making primers would be even harder.  So, your bug-out kit should contain a balance and chemical glassware, hotplates, a fractional distillation column, thermometers, etc...   If sustaining firearms fails you then you can always rely on a crossbow and bolts.   Having a slingshot handy for small game would be nice.  Is a good bow and several dozen arrows in your bug-out kit?

If you decide to revert to the late 1880's life style then you'll need some horses.

VERY few preppers have thought this all the way through to the ten year post-SHTF mark.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 01:20:34 PM by GreyGeek »

Offline zofoman

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2014, 06:05:43 PM »
Zofoman, how are your medical supplies?  Have ample quantities of Iodine, bandages, and over the counter treatments, especially for eyes, ears and teeth?  Splints for broken bones.  Been to a vet pharmacy and picked up sulfa drugs and fungus based anti-biotics.  Forget Penicillin, Tetracyclines and other abused antibiotics.    Has everyone in your family had their appendix removed?  Surgical supplies OK?  Are you prepared to remove an appendix or pull a tooth, splint a fracture or surgically close a compound fracture and setting that bone after restoring an aseptic environment around area.

GG, I have some of the aforementioned items (though you make a point for the long haul, I should lay in more stock).  As for medical practice, I was a first responder for several years so can handle basics and light surgical.  I know my limits and anything major I would have to seek professional aide or whip out the medical books & wish for luck.  I was born & raised on a farm, so we did everything ourselves and it was usually done the hard way.  Armed with that knowledge & experience(s), I feel, should help keep my family out of harms way for a fair length of time.  Have I/we planned for every possible scenario?  No, but I/we do have a plan.   
"What, me worry?"  ~ Alfred E. Neuman

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2014, 06:15:40 PM »
Have I/we planned for every possible scenario?  No, but I/we do have a plan.   

Your background, plans and preparations are better than most I've heard about.