< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: The Dangerous Myth Of Hierarchy Of Lethality  (Read 2290 times)

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
The Dangerous Myth Of Hierarchy Of Lethality
« on: October 16, 2014, 09:31:25 PM »
Great article by Mas Ayoob.  I would add one thing - fists and feet can deadly as well.

http://dailycaller.com/2014/10/15/massad-ayoob-the-dangerous-myth-of-hierarchy-of-lethality/#disqus_thread

We live in a world where the entertainment media and the news media alike have demonized the firearm as a frightening, high-efficiency killing machine. A myth has arisen that I call “hierarchy of lethality.” It is the false belief that the firearm represents the nuclear level of hand-held weaponry, and is somehow more lethal than other deadly weapons.

The general public sees the knife as something less: after all, they’ll open their mail in the morning with something very much like your opponent’s knife, and will slice the roast at dinner tonight with something virtually identical to the blade your opponent wields.

Because it’s an accoutrement of everyday life, they just don’t see the knife as a weapon, even though they know cognitively that it can be turned from culinary aid to murder weapon in a heartbeat. An impact weapon, a “club?” Well, they may see that as even less deadly.

Now, the night comes when you are attacked by a homicidal perpetrator wielding bludgeon or blade. You are forced to shoot him in self-defense. I can almost guarantee where the subsequent attack on you is going to come from:

“He only had a knife!”

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
Re: The Dangerous Myth Of Hierarchy Of Lethality
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 02:10:07 AM »
Knives and clubs scare the heck out of me. 

I blame that Howard guy. 

And if you see that Zeeb guy with a Glock coming your way, just say your prayers. 

;D
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 07:21:51 AM »
Knives and clubs scare the heck out of me. 
I view both those as very personal weapons.  If an attacker is using this against you, they are being very personal in their choice of weapon and the thought of taking a hit from a knife actually worries more than getting shot.  I can move for cover when being shot at and hopefully avoid getting hit again, but if they are close enough to cut me then they are close enough to grab me and cut again.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 09:23:28 AM »
I view both those as very personal weapons.  If an attacker is using this against you, they are being very personal in their choice of weapon and the thought of taking a hit from a knife actually worries more than getting shot.  I can move for cover when being shot at and hopefully avoid getting hit again, but if they are close enough to cut me then they are close enough to grab me and cut again.

Yep.  Knives scare the hell out of me.  If someone is close enough to use a knife, chances are you're not going to walk away unscathed even if you are able to draw your gun and defend yourself.

Offline mott555

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 10:32:09 AM »
Whatever the criminals are using as a weapon, I want something stronger.

People today forget who is the criminal and who is the victim.

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 08:00:04 PM »
I can move for cover when being shot at and hopefully avoid getting hit again, but if they are close enough to cut me then they are close enough to grab me and cut again.

I watched a police video sometime ago regarding "edged weapons".  One section demonstrated how an LEO facing a person with a knife (which could be any other weapon for that matter)separated by about 20 feet and the LEO would most likely not be able to fire his service weapon before that 20 foot distance had been covered by the person with the knife.
Imagine, not being aware of the attack initially and making a concealed draw. Best be moving.

Offline RedDot

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 08:40:05 PM »
What about throwing stars?... :o  j/k

I get what he's saying. He trying to combat the hesitation you might have while carrying when faced with an opponent wielding a supposedly "less lethal" weapon.  Libs have always pushed the idea that "you didn't need to shoot him, all he had was a knife" as a way to turn you into the culpable party in any encounter.  In their world the whole situation could be resolved if you would just show compassion and "have a conversation" on the issues.  ::)

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 11:16:26 PM »
My pet peeve is the word "unarmed".  People don't realize just how dangerous someone can be with just bare hands and feet. 

A guy my dad knew years ago got in a fist fight in the street and got knocked down.  He hit his head on the curb and died.  It can happen that easy, and that was just two guys fighting outside a bar.  Someone who's trained in martial arts or is fairly strong can really do serious damage. 

Offline AWick

• Steel Benefactor
  • Home is where your armory is.
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 11:23:51 PM »
Or more recently two high school kids in Council Bluffs.

The sad part was they showed the video on TV and from the hit you could see the lights go out and his arms lock up.
"Well-regulated" meant well equipped, trained and disciplined... not controlled with an iron fist.

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2014, 10:05:45 AM »
I watched a police video sometime ago regarding "edged weapons".  One section demonstrated how an LEO facing a person with a knife (which could be any other weapon for that matter)separated by about 20 feet and the LEO would most likely not be able to fire his service weapon before that 20 foot distance had been covered by the person with the knife.
Imagine, not being aware of the attack initially and making a concealed draw. Best be moving.

Several years ago, Mythbusters did a segment on the ability to draw, rack, and fire at an attacker carrying a knife (would have been nice to see how it would might have changed if he was already loaded and didn't have to rack).

I like my odds better when the attacker is standing still at a long distance.  Now if only we could convince the thugs to be more courteous and stand still when they are accosting us with a knife.  I say knife because they won't have a gun, since that would be against the law, which they would never break.  ;D
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan