< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: 136 watt 24 volt solar panels  (Read 2749 times)

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
136 watt 24 volt solar panels
« on: October 26, 2014, 02:36:55 PM »
 found these on another site, they sound pretty good, 24 volt will be no problem to step down to 12 volt.

http://tinyurl.com/o2bzlwe
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
Re: 136 watt 24 volt solar panels
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 03:05:54 PM »
 been doing some reading, this panel puts out 136 watts at 24 volts, when you step it down to 12 volts, you double the watts making it 372 watts. Is that correct?  and 372 watts devided by 12 volts would be 31 amps. is all that right?

shipping is free on this, still would need a controller and deep cycle batteries,

and this is a large panel about 18 ft long

specs,   http://soldonsun.com/files/UNI-PVL136.pdf

I like that you can take it down easy and only put it up when you need it,
 NRA Endowment member

Offline Gumby

• Powder Benefactor
  • Gentlemen, prepare to defend yourselves!
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 08:52:11 PM »
Specs show max output 4.1 Amps @ 33VDC = 136 Watts.  As you convert to around 13.5 VDC for battery charging, you'll lose maybe 8-10% so your net watts will drop to around 125 Watts.  At 13.5 volts, that's about 9 Amps Max.

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 09:08:22 PM »
I mix all that watts=amps=volts stuff
 NRA Endowment member

Offline jFader

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 11:24:19 PM »
What do you want to power with a solar setup? 

It's a great technology but you don't get a lot of useful output for the cost of a setup....that said, I do have some solar & really want some more because I refuse to be so dependant on the grid & who knows what the availability of fuel would be to refill generators in any sort of a crisis?

Here is what I would like to build....it can use solar if you need it but it would also be accessible/usable before a grid down scenario.

This guy has a battery bank setup in a truck toolbox....it uses one or more deep cycle batteries & on a normal basis it charges them off of the trucks alternator. With a inverter you would have usable 12v & 120v power & if you add a solar panel you can recharge without dependance on the vehicle...

Free instructional podcasts &  video tutorials are for sale at http://www.battery1234.com

The 2nd Amendment is not open for debate!

NRA Member
SAF Life Member
Proud NFOA Member

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 07:17:00 AM »
What do you want to power with a solar setup? 
Based on the amperage he was looking for I would hazard a guess that this is for charging a fence. I believe that there are actual solar powered units for that purpose, but as JFade said that isn't the best use because of the power generated by a panel.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 01:52:12 PM »
 im looking for something for a power outage, I can run my generator for the well, but want to run a couple of lights, a radio, maybe small dvd player , and to charge batteries,  I converted some solar lawn lights to battery chargers, but only for AA and AAA ,I am planning on having 4 size 32 deepcycle batteries, I also bought some lamps, that charge themselves solar, and you can turn them on and off,
       Not gonna charge the fence, I think the bodies laying around it will deter others
 NRA Endowment member

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 03:12:34 PM »
Not gonna charge the fence, I think the bodies laying around it will deter others
This is how I feel about my yard, unfortunately the the rabbits haven't gotten the message yet.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Phantom

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 06:42:07 PM »
Ohm's Law for simple Dc circuits ( Just sayin )  :laugh:

« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 06:44:16 PM by Phantom »
"If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians would come out of the...the gene pool, they'd a stayed up in the trees and written evolution off as a bad idea.....Hell, I always thought the opposable thumb was overrated.  "-- Sheridan, "Babylon 5"

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 09:36:53 PM »
Ohm's Law for simple Dc circuits ( Just sayin )  :laugh:
Oh how I wish I had seen this in college. It would have saved me a lot of time memorizing formulas that I barely remember now.