< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Is this the new normal for .22 ammo?  (Read 1127 times)

Offline metaldoc

• Powder Benefactor
Is this the new normal for .22 ammo?
« on: October 31, 2014, 10:40:31 AM »
From an email announcement from Brownell's...   Twelve cents/round for regular .22 ammo.  Considered an 'on sale' price and no limits imposed. 

We Have Bricks Of Rimfire Back In Stock!

Rimfire cartridges made by CI of Mexico. High velocity with non-corosive primers and smokeless powder. Brass cased and copper plated bullets. Each brick contains 500 rounds of rimfire ammuntion, 10 Individual 50 round boxes.

Sale Price $59.99
No Limit - While Supplies Last

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Is this the new normal for .22 ammo?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 10:56:19 AM »
 stupid price, even the gougers are only getting $50 a carton,

and they are local so no shipping ,
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 12:42:06 PM »
Cabelas has had CCI mini mags on their website for a month or more now, free ship-to-store.  And less money than that; usually 10 cents or so per round after tax.

They just disappeared in the last day or two but still have CCI standard velocity today. 

If some people are crazy enough to pay more than other vendors, I can hardly fault those vendors for selling to them.
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 01:17:08 PM »
Unless this just jumped I have spent about $25/500 for the last few purchases I have made of .22.  That was July/August, at Scheels, so this would be an outrageous price increase if it was the new price.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 01:27:08 PM »
Unless this just jumped I have spent about $25/500 for the last few purchases I have made of .22.  That was July/August, at Scheels, so this would be an outrageous price increase if it was the new price.

That seldom happens and the ammo is usually gone in a couple hours.

8-10 cents per round is the more common price at which .22lr ammo will sometimes stay on the shelves/in-stock online for more than a day or so.

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 02:53:44 PM »
After the last breakfast in Papio, I went to the Wally Mart on 72 and Giles. Got 3 boxes (300) rds of CCI standard 40gr lead RN for $7.49 + Tax. so .08 per round.

Trick is that you have to ask for it cause they hide it under the counter.

It is starting to be available if you are at the right place / right time for under .10 per round.
Still high but not like the prices from the past.  :o
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 05:22:11 PM »
Natchezz is offering the CCI 40 gr LRN standard velocity for 7.8 cents around, no limit.
A 500 round brick is $39.10.   Shipping is extra.

Offline rudy

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 11:27:19 AM »
I have been buying .22Lr at Walmart for what I consider decent prices.  I got about 3,000 rounds from June thru September and didn't pay more than 8 cents a round.  I could have gotten more, but I wasn't trying very hard.

Walmart has its inventory available online.  People have developed apps or websites that pull the ammo inventory status and compile it all in one spot.

brassbadger.com is one such website/Android app.  The downside of brass badger is that it only updates the inventory status of the ammo a few times a day.  The upside is that it is a nicely polished website and app that works well.

Another website I use is described here ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1611186_My_ammo_app_is_back_up_and_running_.html This website isn't as polished, requires a profile (only to store the store numbers for you), but it also pulls real-time inventory info from Walmart
(Disclaimer described below).

If you are going to use these tools to buy .22lr at Walmart, I have some suggestions:
1. Each Walmart handles its ammo sales differently.
2. Check the apps couple of times a day.  There are errors and the general consensus on arfcom is that Walmart doesn't track small boxes (50 or 100 rounds) effectively and some always show as in stock, but are in fact not there.  Hence, you will be looking for things that have come into stock recently.
3. When the ammo shows up on the real time site, it usually means that the truck carrying it has been scanned in on the loading dock. The ammo will get unloaded and placed in a locked container in the backroom of the store or put on the shelves.
4. I live in lincoln and only go to two walmarts: n27th and 84th. 
    4a)  N27th has ammo show up late afternoon into early evening. This ammo will get brought out for sale at 7 AM the next morning.  People line up for this, some as early as 6 AM.  Depending on what shows up, there might be 20+ boxes or only 2.  The clerks make sure that everyone gets some as long as there are more boxes than people.  All of the ammo i got was 300 round boxes or smaller.  Walmart gets 1000 round boxes, but they come in packs of two, so if you are the third guy in line, you are out of luck.
    4b)  84th has ammo show up late afternoon and often puts it out for sale that night.  Although, I have asked about specific ammo that was showing on the websites, but wasn't on the shelf and the workers went to the back and found it for me.  When I did this, I had the UPC and barcode of the ammo for the worker to scan.

Feel free to ask me any questions.  I can upload my sheet with all the .22lr barcodes that Walmart carries.

Hope this helps.