Handguns, Rifles & Shotguns > Featured Firearms

I love the Ruger 10/22

(1/5) > >>

JTH:
I love the Ruger 10/22. 

Seriously, this is one of my favorite guns to shoot—of course, that sounds like I only have one, and it only works in a certain way to shoot certain things.

And yet—the reason I love the 10/22 is because it is one of the most versatile .22 rifles out there.  A semi-auto .22 rifle capable of astonishing accuracy with aftermarket parts and accessories available so as to be able to customize it in any fashion you might want—the gun is just too much fun to play with.

Out of the box, the trigger is middling decent, the sights are basic and practical, the accuracy is plenty good for most shooters, and the stock is solid.  In other words, the standard Ruger 10/22 is an outstanding “first shooter” for most people in terms of rifles. 

It’ll feed most any ammo from high-velocity Stingers to super-heavyweight Aguila SSS sub-sonic rounds (and yes, single-loading CB caps works perfectly well if you just leave out the magazine—obviously it won’t cycle the action, but you weren’t planning on doing that with CBs anyway, were you?) and it doesn’t care about any difference between plated, lead, hollow point, or round nose rounds.

But then the fun starts.  What do you want to do with your 10/22?

Stick on a heavy barrel with a comfortable Hogue stock and a bipod and work on groups at 100 yards?  Okay!

Drop in a Volquartsen ultra-lightweight short tension barrel with a Dragunov stock for a accurate lightweight 50 yard varmint shooter?

Maybe get a Butler Creek short lightweight barrel with a folding stock and a red dot for Steel Challenge or some other rimfire competition?

How about a Takedown version of the 10/22, with a box of bulk ammo and a couple of 25-round mags for a trunk gun?

Maybe drop the action into a bullpup stock configuration because while it is useless, it was too much fun to pass up?

Don’t like the initial trigger?  How about spending a couple of bucks and dropping in a Volquartsen hammer and sear (sure, you can buy the trigger group and switch the entire thing out by taking the action out of the stock and pushing out two pins, but where’s the fun in that?) which takes the trigger from “middling decent” to “serious action” in about 10 minutes.

Want the bolt to drop forward when you rack it?  Want an extended/oversized safety?  A  larger mag release?

All parts available in many different configurations from a number of excellent companies. 

Want to make it look like an AR, and take AR accessories?  No problem.  Want a short children’s stock?  No problem.  Want full auto? 

….no, you can’t have that, but you CAN get a rotational trigger setup and throw two 10/22s into a Gatling Gun setup.    (No, I don’t have one of those.  I’d blast away WAY too much ammo if I did…)

Ruger 10/22s are great.  You can make it a trainer for just about any full-size rifle you want, or you can just make yourself any type of outstanding .22 shooter you like.  And 25-round mags are easy to find for it.  (Other than the Takedown version and the Gatling, all other guns above started out looking like the first picture.  Or the first picture with a synthetic stock.)

I love these things.

ILoveCats:
My son wants one after shooting his grandpa's. 

I've never liked cleaning them (cleaning from the muzzle and pushing gunk into the receiver) and much prefer my Savage single shot, which was "minute-of-cat" at a hundred yards right outa the box, but the "takedown" model might change my mind. That has to make barrel cleaning easy.

shooter:
 they are great. I have 5 so far. still want a few more,
 one I really want is the full stocked model,

one thing I do not like about them, are the plywood stocks some come with, you can call it laminate if you want, but its still plywood

kozball:
This is my 12yo sons first time out with his "Passing Hunters Safety" bribe. Composite stock, blued barrel, Nikon Prostaff 4x fixed. Zero'd with 10 shots, then let him at it. Only 25 yds, but I felt was pretty solid for a rookie.

Randy:

--- Quote from: feralcatkillr on October 29, 2014, 09:18:15 PM ---My son wants one after shooting his grandpa's. 

I've never liked cleaning them (cleaning from the muzzle and pushing gunk into the receiver) and much prefer my Savage single shot, which was "minute-of-cat" at a hundred yards right outa the box, but the "takedown" model might change my mind. That has to make barrel cleaning easy.

--- End quote ---

Hoppe's Bore Snake!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version