< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Holster repair...  (Read 6684 times)

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
Holster repair...
« on: November 03, 2014, 02:05:50 PM »
This is a call for info and suggestions or something heh.  How to knowledge, tips, or "go take stuff to this guy" would all be considered.

I'd prefer tips / suggestions, but an inexpensive "in town guy" is an option :D.

My crossbreed supertuck has problems.  The kydex portion is cracked and missing pieces and stuff.  Wearing it 16 hours a day and possibly sleeping on it over the years has taken it's toll.

I've repaired it a few times with epoxy, but it's time to actually get it properly fixed.  However, the cross breed folks are swamped...

So.  I've picked up some Kydex.  0.080".  Wow that's way thick heh.

I've got a toaster oven, the materials to make a kydex "press", and a non contact thermometer will be here by the end of the week.

Don't have any rivets, will probably try hobby lobby or michael's to see if they got rivets and setters.  Do have eyelet tools... but... I dunno.  Rivets sound better.  If I can't find any, I'll head back to ebay for stuff :(

The CB plastic part has an exaggerated front sight section that prolly makes it easier to draw / re-holster.  I was prolly gonna whittle a dowel or something to replicate it.

I'm not entirely sure how to properly do a "3d" mold like that.... most things that I've seen all discuss 50/50 molds with a parting line etc. 

I suppose I can wrap the hot kydex around the firearm a little and trim off excess to get the front sight guide ?

It may not be necessary for the front sight guide to be 3d ? It's not really gonna provide any captive force after all...  This sounds like a good first attempt.

Any suggestions in general ?

hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Holster repair...
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 02:19:05 PM »
Doesn't Crossbreed have a lifetime warranty?

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 02:26:50 PM »
Doesn't Crossbreed have a lifetime warranty?

Yes, yes they do.

However... See also:

Quote from: unfy
However, the cross breed folks are swamped...

hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 02:32:33 PM »
I have a press ... and probably everything else you need to fix it.  Want me to bring the press and my supply bin on the 10th?

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 02:40:52 PM »
I have a press ... and probably everything else you need to fix it.  Want me to bring the press and my supply bin on the 10th?

Wow :D

That's hard to say no to.

I guess so :)

If I happen to attempt it before Monday evening... I'll be sure to send ya a PM or something.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 02:46:59 PM »
This video was very helpful when i got into Kydex.

I have made several holsters for myself and some friends. Looked into starting up a small business but started school instead. I have plans on how to build up a press and all that. I use my guns for the molds. GREEN paper tape. Dowls and some paint sticks.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 03:04:06 PM »
This video was very helpful when i got into Kydex.

I have made several holsters for myself and some friends. Looked into starting up a small business but started school instead. I have plans on how to build up a press and all that. I use my guns for the molds. GREEN paper tape. Dowls and some paint sticks.

Yeah, that was one of the videos I was gonna base my stuff off of :).  A year ago I was starting to look at it and that video is awesome.

Another video ... somewhere ... shows kydex + leather if I recall correctly (it routs out some wood so that the kydex doesn't go "too far").

I bought some relatively stiff kid play floor foam squares a while back for a different clamping / padding need... which would do just fine for kydex stuff :).

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 03:25:16 PM »
I stopped by Hobby Lobby on way in, the rivets they had were cosmetic.

Someone suggested Michael's ... I'll give them a try tomorrow possibly.

When I walked out of Hobby Lobby I had a thought to myself.

We truly have become a nation of consumers.

Even HL has mostly just prefabricated things folks mix together to make a creation. 

Plenty of the things required to do it yourself from scratch are almost prohibitively expensive if they can be found.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 03:55:19 PM »
I stopped by Hobby Lobby on way in, the rivets they had were cosmetic.

Someone suggested Michael's ... I'll give them a try tomorrow possibly.

When I walked out of Hobby Lobby I had a thought to myself.

We truly have become a nation of consumers.

Even HL has mostly just prefabricated things folks mix together to make a creation. 

Plenty of the things required to do it yourself from scratch are almost prohibitively expensive if they can be found.

I have rivets and Chicago screws.

If you have time to run around to all the hobby stores, just come by Handyman Joes.  I'll toss my supplies and press in my vehicle tomorrow. 

Offline sparky

• NFOA Full Member
  • Site Sponsor
    • Midwest Leather Works
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2014, 04:03:07 PM »
Tandy Leather on 84th and Center has different rivets and Chicago screws.
www.midwestleatherworks.com
matt@midwestleatherworks.com

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2014, 04:22:58 PM »
Wait

Tandy Leather is LOCAL ?

Or just has a bunch of stores nation wide ?

I've been on their site a few times etc...

Oh, nation wide.

Still -- I'll head up there tomorrow! :D

Thanks sparky.

Offline wcr

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2014, 05:42:50 PM »
Just got into doing some leatherwork.  Got some tools from Hobby stores and Michaels, then stumbled on Tandy Leather on 84 and Center.  Went over and was quite impressed with their selection of both leathercraft tools and leather hides.  Good place to get items to make or repair a holster, belt or whatever.
I do not work there or have any financial interest, just was impressed with what they had. 

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2014, 06:54:03 PM »
I have rivets and Chicago screws.

If you have time to run around to all the hobby stores, just come by Handyman Joes.  I'll toss my supplies and press in my vehicle tomorrow. 

Well, I've not formed the Kydex yet ... soooo... heh.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2014, 02:38:42 PM »
Stopped by Tandy Leather on 84th and Center as per sparky and wcr's suggestion..  They've got just about anything leather tooling related you could prolly want.  Dunno about the big boy arbor style press stuff... but they do have a lot.  They were nice and helpful folks, too.  They also happen to have instructional packs on making kydex holsters :).

Grabbed a small rivet tool set / starter pack thing for $14.  I'll grab a steel plate or a some marble or something from somewhere as a working surface.

I'll admit to being a bit nervous about the rivets, I dunno if they're sturdy enough structurally or not.  They prolly are... but, just an first impression.  The online store also happens to sell chicago screws, dunno about the local one - but it'd be hard to imagine not having it.

Would taking this all to someone that knows better and has a lot of experience be the way to go - such as midwest leather works etc ? Oh yes.

Am I just insistent on getting my hands dirty ? Oh yes.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2014, 03:02:57 PM »
Shoot me a PM if you need anything.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2014, 03:34:55 PM »
I learned a fair bit Sunday night as I fiddled with kydex.

Ended up standing on my pistol 4 times for about 45min in total.

I think I've got it molded.  Need to grab a heat gun and do...... something... to it.  Basically -- because it was formed with a piece of foam under the pistol -- if I have the pistol in the kydex and try to lay it on a flat surface, the kydex doesn't rest flat on the flat surface, it's elevated an 1/8th an inch or so. 

I suppose I could cut a couple strips of kydex to put under the molded section to act as a spacers, I dunno.

I'll ask folks at the reloading clinic for thoughts.

Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with how things turned out and look forward to posting the series of pics I took.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2014, 07:55:43 PM »
Mud was indeed very helpful in suggestions, I learned a good bit from our short talk.

Decided to try reforming the kydex yet again.  The current piece just doesn't quite line up with the existing leather holes.

Being unnerved about standing on my pistol enough as is, decided to build a kydex press this go around.  Going with a double clamp version instead of a hinged style.  Also picked up some different foam to use.

A decent starting premise of the press would be something like:

My primary change at the moment will be some extra wood to keep the clamps a bit more captive (as well as different style clamps).  Cost me about $55 in supplies ... of which I didn't need all necessarily (had some of it already.. but... whatever).  The clamps can easily be the most expensive part. 

I went with either 24 or 36 inch toolshop quick clamps.  I didn't have a pair yet, so it's nice to have for other reasons as well.  "Real" clamps (properly branded) would have pushed the cost to $75 easily, possibly $100.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2014, 10:58:38 PM »
This was adapted from what I wrote elsewhere, hence the weird tenses etc.  Also, my web host appears to be acting funny lately...

Yeah, it needs to be replaced.

Looking at the CB Kydex, I'd assume they're using a vacuum forming machine.  I'll just be going the foam route.  The back of their Kydex shows some identification markings and stuff, too:

Tooling for my initial outset were:
* couple 2 foot lengths of 2x8's as the press top and bottom
* some foam play mat things ($9)
* some eggshell / bed padding foam ($9?)
* fabric markeng pencil ($1)
* cutting mat ($10, fabric area)
* razor blade knife
* non contact thermometer ($15)
* some 2" masking tape
* a flat head screw driver
* toaster oven used only for "shop" things (never food)
* hair dryer (leery of heat gun + firearm)
* gloves (don't have to be real thick)
* Kydex itself (I bought 0.080, the CB might be 0.060)

All of the above can be bought locally.  The thermometer might cost ya $35 instead.  And the Kydex is available at Tandy Leather, as well.

Most Kydex forming presses / foam is a closed cell stiffer foam.  I didn't have any on hand and my first attempt at finding anything failed.  So I decided that maybe stacking up a lot of layers of bedding foam would work.

I had the foam play mat things for a different project - they're a great source of some stiff protective foam, but are too stiff to form around the pistol.  They could, however, act as a protective barrier to help not damage the firearm with the pressure I was about to submit it to... because, since I lacked a press, I was going to be standing on my firearm.

The sandwich would look like:

Me Standing
wood
playmat
6-8 layers bedding foam
Kydex
pistol
playmat
wood
ground

If ya look at the CB Kydex, you'll see it has an angled channel for the front sight and stuff:

In order to approximate this, I decided to tape a flat head screw driver to my pistol:

The steps were as laid out in the video. Slowly heat the Kydex in the toaster oven, bumping the temperature knob up 50 degrees every 5min until it hit 250F.  At that point, started hitting the firearm and foams with the hair dryer.  At 350F, placed the kydex on the firearm, covered with foam and wood, stand on it for 10min.

Standing on a firearm sandwiched between wood is an interesting experience.  I don't really suggest it.  Oh, and do make sure the firearm is unloaded, but do have an empty magazine in the mag well to add support to it and not crush it.

This worked surprisingly well even if a bit crude.  Sadly, the bedding foam wasn't really rigid enough to force the Kydex around the edge of the firearm.  The CB Kydex clings to the firearm, and the attaching rivets are placed relatively close to the firearm. 

Here's the CB Kydex looking at it head on, note the sharp edges where it flattens out to rest against the leather:

Here's what my initial attempt looked like, also note how the sight channel wasn't really a channel:

To address this, I figure'd try cutting out the form of my pistol in the thicker play mat foam and use it to "force" the Kydex the shape to the pistol better.  The bottom / trigger guard portion of the firearm was just a straight forward template / stencil cut out.

The slide / sight side of the firearm posed a a bit more of a challenge in that I appeared to need to really get a proper "channel" for retention strength as well as the rivet holes in the leather.  Simply butting the play mat foam up against the firearm would not accomplish.

I figured out I could lay my razor blade knife on it's side and run the play mat along the cutting edge to fillet the play mat to a much thinner thickness.  This thickness seemed about right for "jamming" the play mat against the hot Kydex to slide it under the screwdriver.  I also cut the corners away to avoid alignment problems.

Process this time around was:

* heated up a piece of Kydex
* slapped it on the gun
* pressed down the trigger guard foam
* pulled the Kydex a bit to take out some of the slack
* jammed the slide / sight foam on top of the kydex but under the screw driver
* put on the bedding foam / play mat / wood
* stood for another 10 min

The results were pretty good:

And the edges were better:

The trigger guard area aint perfect, but it's not too bad.  It's also a bit further beyond the mag well than the markings for the CB was.

The problem that soon became apparent was that because I had the firearm resting on some of the play mat foam - the Kydex formed to the elevated level of the play mat.

As seen here, it's lifted off the flat survace a bit on each side:

The CB Kydex on the other hand, is flush:

I appeared to have a new Kydex piece!

Appeared to have it, but I still can't quite get the rivet holes to line up.

I'll be making the press over this weekend and hopefully attempting again Sunday or Monday night.

Offline AWick

• Steel Benefactor
  • Home is where your armory is.
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2014, 09:54:09 PM »
Looks good! And congrats on a fun diy  project.

Menards has a good ~2" thick green foam "seat" pad by their hunting gear that I've used with good success. Also, TexasKnife.com has foam sheets that work really well with kydex.

http://www.texasknife.com/vcom/index.php?cPath=49_37_125_928
"Well-regulated" meant well equipped, trained and disciplined... not controlled with an iron fist.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2014, 11:35:52 PM »
A link to the Menards foam:

http://www.menards.com/main/outdoors/outdoor-recreation/hunting-equipment/tree-stands-blinds/hunting-seat-cushion/p-2180556-c-13885.htm

I should get the press together tonight, and possibly doing attempts.  We'll see.