< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Drilling and tapping a pre-64 Winchester 94? Am I nuts?  (Read 3754 times)

Offline rudy

• NFOA Full Member
Drilling and tapping a pre-64 Winchester 94? Am I nuts?
« on: November 04, 2014, 09:52:34 AM »
My great grandfather left me a Winchester Model 1894 chambered in 30-30 that was manufactured in 1949.  I didn't know him very well--he died when I was 5 or 6.  I didn't even know he had left anything to me until a few years ago (approx. 20 years since his death).  I've since had the rifle out with its open sights (semi-buckhorn) and managed to get some decent groups at 100 yards, but it was tough.  I haven't done a lot of rifle shooting, so more practice would surely do me good, but I'm looking at other sight options.

I'm considering replacing the rear sight with a receiver peep sight, probably a current-production Williams, but I might search for an older steel Lyman or a Redfield, if I can find one reasonably priced.  My only problem is that my rifle has no factory holes drilled or tapped in the side of the receiver.  It also has no hole drilled or tapped in the tang for a tang sight.  I did some research on this a while ago and Winchester, for whatever reason, stopped drilling and tapping the receiver and/or tang at the factory around WWII and started up again in the early 50's. 

Am I nuts for considering putting holes in a pre-64 Winchester?  I know it will diminish the collector's value, but I have no intention of ever selling it because of sentimental reasons.  The gun is by no means a safe queen--it has been used, but well taken care of.  Besides, I'm sure great-grandpa would want me to use it--not just have it sit in a safe.  I'm taking it deer hunting this fall with its current open sights, but I think a good receiver sight would perhaps make it more user-friendly.

Offline Platte River Jack

• Forum Member
Re: Drilling and tapping a pre-64 Winchester 94? Am I nuts?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 10:11:47 AM »
Please just leave the old girl alone. Original is better extra holes will cause you heartburn in the future.

Jack

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 11:47:18 AM »
Rudy, have you looked into Skinner sights?  They have some that replace the rear sight, but are peeps.  Might be worth a try to keep as original as possible. 
http://www.skinnersights.com/barrel_mount_6.html
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 12:08:44 PM »
 I agree, don't drill that wonderful old rifle, if you need a scoped rifle, buy one, but don't turn this one into something it is not
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 12:38:58 PM »
A coworker's father had a Savage 99 in .303 (?) that dad or someone in the family bought between the great wars (1930s) Sadly ol' dad just couldn't see with the sights anymore and son took it in and had it drilled for a scope mount.  He debated for a long time, and still worries about it, but to him it was of no good if dad couldn't use it.  Just not something I could have done- especially to that old/rare-ish gun. 
But in the end it's yours now, so.....
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline rudy

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 01:18:10 PM »
I did not say I was looking to put a scope on it, rather I am considering a receiver mounted peep sight, many of which can be found on rifles of the same era.  Winchester even drilled and tapped receivers at the factory for these sights, just not during the year mine was made.

I have seen the skinner sights before, yes.  I wonder how well they work since the peep is so much farther away than a receiver or tang peep.

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 02:32:44 PM »
Yes, I know, the story was just for reference purposes.
I know all about peeps- love them. First thing I did to my Marlin Texan was a Williams rear peep sight ( but mine was factory tapped, so I did not have your dilemma).
Another thing to consider is the front sight, depending on the height of the rear, a different height front sight may be needed to dial in a given range.   Will peeps give you a better group? -probably.  If you want to hunt with the gun and keep as a family heirloom, and not resale at a premium price as a  collectible, I say go for it.  But as they say, measure four or five times- drill once. ;)

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 02:32:49 PM »
I wouldn't.  Some things are better left alone.

Offline newfalguy101

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 05:52:29 PM »
Its your gun, do what you want with it.

Your gandpappy surly expected you to USE it didnt he??

Its not like its a mint specimen worth thousands of dollars, you said it yourself, its NOT a safequeen, make it so you can use it.

Yea, I know this post wont win me any popularity contests..........I can live with that...