< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Gunsmith needed-Omaha  (Read 4257 times)

Offline rammerjammer

• Forum Member
Gunsmith needed-Omaha
« on: November 04, 2014, 11:37:48 AM »
Long time lurker, seldom a poster here.

Can anyone recommend a good gunsmith in the Omaha area?  I have used Karl Jarl gunsmith services and had no problems with their work but am curious if there are any other or better gunsmiths I can take my pistols to.

I am having troubles with my Ruger MKIII  with the bolt returning to battery (it gets caught up and doesn't fully return w/o a tap of the finger) and it will probably be cheaper to just have a gunsmith work on it than to ship it back to Ruger.

Thanks for any suggestions

Offline Lmbass14

• Powder Benefactor
  • Red Horse - Semper Ducimus
Re: Gunsmith needed-Omaha
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 03:55:14 PM »
I've asked other people on this forum the same question on gunsmithing in the Omaha area, and all replied that there is no one in the area that they would take their firearms.  But that was a couple of years ago.  Think there is a good one in Fremont (forgot his name), and do believe he does 1911's, then again there is a long waiting list for his services.

Offline JAK

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 04:01:24 PM »
Have you stripped (to include pulling the receiver off the grip) and cleaned it?  That seems to fix the majority of the problems I have had with my Mk III.

John K

Offline UPCrawfish

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 06:15:57 PM »
I believe http://www.cylinder-slide.com/ is the gunsmith you are thinking of in Fremont. 

There is another gunsmith in Fremont ..  Maple Creek Gunsmithing...   (402) 721-1170

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 06:27:51 PM »
Not sure if this will help you, but I found out that my 22/45 mk3 hates wet lube. I disassembled mine and cleaned everything.I used Remm-Drilube that sprays on then dries to a dry film. Wipe off excess and reassemble. Supposed to be a Teflon based product.

Also, make sure that you fully  seat your mags. You should here a click when pressing on the bottom of the mag with your thumb. Don't seat mags with your palm.

And, mine only likes CCI mini mags so far.
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline Chris C

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 06:34:19 PM »
If you called Ruger would they ship it to and from for free?  I've had good luck with S&W doing that and fixing for free.  Was about a 2 week turn around. 

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 06:59:13 PM »
Cylinder & Slide has good folks.  (I shoot with one of the 'smiths from there, and he does good work.  He's worked on a couple of Julie's guns for her.)  And the good thing is that we see him at matches, so getting the guns back and forth is easy...  :)

I wouldn't take a dart gun to the ham-handed hack job idiots at Carl Jarl.  Made that mistake once (took an XD to them to just put on a front sight).  They about ruined the entire SLIDE.  (That's a quote from the gunsmith who fixed their hack job.)  A different smith had to go back and fix all the crap they did to the gun so it would shoot even REMOTELY according to the sights, including replacing the entire front sight which was a ruined mess.

I'll note that after putting the front sight on, they didn't bother actually CHECKING to see if it would shoot to point of aim--or even if the front sight was centered correctly, which it wasn't.  Apparently, slapping the front sight on (after drilling out the old sight including screwing up the dovetail) and then drilling through the slide so they could pin the new sight in place with two pins was quite enough work for them.

I wish I was kidding.

Not only will I never go to that place again, I strongly suggest that anyone else that LIKES their guns to be in working order should NOT take them to Carl Jarl.

Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline barmandr

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 08:02:26 PM »
I wouldn't take a dart gun to the ham-handed hack job idiots at Carl Jarl.  Made that mistake once (took an XD to them to just put on a front sight).  They about ruined the entire SLIDE.  (That's a quote from the gunsmith who fixed their hack job.)  A different smith had to go back and fix all the crap they did to the gun so it would shoot even REMOTELY according to the sights, including replacing the entire front sight which was a ruined mess.

I'll note that after putting the front sight on, they didn't bother actually CHECKING to see if it would shoot to point of aim--or even if the front sight was centered correctly, which it wasn't.  Apparently, slapping the front sight on (after drilling out the old sight including screwing up the dovetail) and then drilling through the slide so they could pin the new sight in place with two pins was quite enough work for them.

I wish I was kidding.

Not only will I never go to that place again, I strongly suggest that anyone else that LIKES their guns to be in working order should NOT take them to Carl Jarl.

Quit beating around the bush and give a straight answer...do you recommend them or not?  :-)

Offline Chris C

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2014, 05:18:39 PM »
I wouldn't take a dart gun to the ham-handed hack job idiots at Carl Jarl.  Made that mistake once (took an XD to them to just put on a front sight).  They about ruined the entire SLIDE.

LOL  Sounds like I'm not the only one where they totally trashed a pistol changing out sights.  Anyone interested can search for my whole story but I ended up sending it back to S&W since Tim didn't even know how to fix it properly.  What kind of a gunsmith are you if you can't even fix a damn S&W M&P? lol Also FWIW another shop that doesn't do repairs anymore claimed they had seen many botched jobs come to them from Carl Jarl. 

Offline LeeM

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 06:54:35 AM »
Lots of good info on the Ruger on Rim Fire Central.
I suggest this tip though, if you're not comfortable with doing it yourself.

01 Firearms Dealer
Buy-Sell-Trade-Transfers
Q MAX Products Dealer

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2014, 11:17:33 AM »
Logan Smith did some work on an AR15 for me and he did a good job and it didn't seem like he charged much.  He's in Ashland and works out of a shop in his house, which keeps his overhead down, which pays for the gas you burn getting to Ashland.  I don't know how he'd do on a Ruger but he'd be worth looking into anyway; I'd say if he said he could fix it he could.  I would also consider sending it to Ruger; in fact I'd probably look into that first; they're usually pretty good about standing behind their products.

Here's a link to Logan's website:
http://www.smitharmsandammo.com/
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline DarryH

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2014, 01:10:54 AM »
What about Gunsmithing Specialties in downtown Papillion?????

The Running Iron Gun Shop. They are over toward Lincoln but Lonnie often sets up at the Fremont and Lincoln gun shows. They have worked on my Ruger Vaqueros, an original 1886 Winchester, and a couple newer guns too.  I was very pleased with their work.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2014, 09:02:17 AM »
What about Gunsmithing Specialties in downtown Papillion?????

Been there, he did perfectly good work, but charged a pretty ridiculous amount for a couple of very simple things.   Probably wouldn't go back.

(It didn't make me really confident when I took my Rem 870 and a set of ghost rings nightsights in to him, and he set the rear sight on backward when taking a look at how it would fit.  :(  )
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com