< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Omaha Permit Process... still?  (Read 5433 times)

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Omaha Permit Process... still?
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2009, 05:51:04 PM »
Another strike against this ordinance is the definition of concealable firearm in Omaha Ordinances which must all be registered (any firearm with a barrel less than 18"), the police don't register Short Barreled Rifles as they should to be in accordance with the ordinances.

Offline 475okh

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2009, 07:50:33 PM »
Looks to me like the city has no right to regulate concealable firearms as long as the citizen has a valid ccw permit.  Am I missing something??

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2009, 02:33:42 PM »
475okh. I think that is the way the law should be interpreted. If you have a CHP no city regulations regarding the ownership, possession, and transportation of a handgun should apply. This should also include & should apply to Omaha residents that possess a valid CHP. Since that is what the law really reads.

Offline wrenrj1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2009, 07:18:04 PM »
Depending on the name of the Scheels salesman, he may very well know what he is talking about. I had a conversation with someone I know in the Omaha Scheels store to find out if the city has notified their store that CHP holders cannot be required to register their handguns... Because LB 430 says that cities now cannot regulate OWNERSHIP of concealed handguns.... Certainly this means requiring registration before a purchase is regulating OWNERSHIP????

Chris, I'd suggest you cc the AG's office and your state senator as well.

Here is the statute:
18-1703 Ownership, possession, and transportation of concealed handguns; power of cities and villages; existing ordinance, permit, or regulation; null and void. Cities and villages shall not have the power to regulate the ownership, possession, or transportation of a concealed handgun, as such ownership, possession, or transportation is authorized under the Concealed Handgun Permit Act, except as expressly provided by state law. Any existing city or village ordinance, permit, or regulation regulating the ownership, possession, or transportation of a concealed handgun, as such ownership, possession, or transportation is authorized under the act, is declared to be null and void as against any permitholder possessing a valid permit under the act.
Source

1. Laws 2009, LB430, ? 5.

Effective Date: August 30, 2009

This is an item that I am personally working on. I have had conversations with the city of Omaha Prosecutor and Senator Christensen's office trying to get this clarified. I am in the process of sending a letter to Omaha gun store owners, asking them to discuss this issue with their legal counsel, and asking them to help take the lead in getting this clarified and fixed! Especially since Omaha gun stores stand to benefit from this financially big time by not missing out on handgun sales.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2009, 11:00:09 PM »
Simple solution is to buy in LaVista!
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2009, 05:55:50 AM »
Or buy in Papillion.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2009, 10:48:52 PM »
Gun store in Papion is ............... where?
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2009, 06:20:10 AM »
Coming soon. . . I will share the details soon.   :)

-Rod

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2009, 08:20:31 PM »
So there is not a firearm store in Papillion now then?
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2009, 09:43:09 PM »
There is a Gunsmith......

Offline Dtrain323i

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2009, 05:03:33 PM »
This is why i've kept my purchases to the Fremont gun show so far. But guys, at least we don't have a 72 hour waiting period.

Offline FredG

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2009, 06:07:14 PM »
I really do not think Omaha cares about the registration for tracking a handgun, it is all about the money they get from the registration.  Case in point!  I live in Omaha and my handuns are registered.  Earlier this year I gave a handgun to my adult son who lives in Sarpy county.  Because he is an immediate relative I am not required to fill out the state transfer paperwork.   I called the Omaha PD and told them I no longer owned this particular handgun and no longer wanted it registered in my name.  They told me that there is no way to remove the registration of that particular handgun from my name unless my son wanted to come in and register it in his name--and of course for this they would collect another fee.  What a joke Omaha is.   Remember the statement the former Police Chief Butthead made about "the common thread in violent crimes in Omaha seems to be unregistered handguns."  I sent him an email to remind him that he was an idiot if he thought unregistered handguns were the problem rather than the bad guys being the problem.  And, now that fool is the Chief of Police in a town in my home state.  God help them!