< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: AR15 platform...MUST HAVE TOOLS for barrel work  (Read 3582 times)

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
AR15 platform...MUST HAVE TOOLS for barrel work
« on: November 06, 2014, 12:48:44 PM »
I am looking into tooling up for ar15 barrel replacement/upper building tools.
On my list now  from Brownells

Brownell's reaction rod for barrel torquing ( similar to Geisselle reaction rod )   http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/barrel-tools/ar-15-m16-barrel-extension-torque-tool-sku080000637-27452-53686.aspx

Brownell's A2 front sight bench block   http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/sight-tools/ar-15-front-sight-bench-block-sku080000252-20727-44769.aspx

PRI barrel wrench   http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/wrenches/ar-15-barrel-nut-wrench-sku714000007-27412-52636.aspx

About $90 shipped for these three tools on sale

The barrel torque tool and wrench make for a very nice way to remove and install barrels with no stress on the upper receiver.

Any suggestions or additions to essential tools list for barrel replacement jobs?
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: AR15 platform...MUST HAVE TOOLS for barrel work
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 01:52:49 PM »
Barrel dimpler for those barrels that don't come with alignment dimple.

http://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms-gas-block-barrel-dimpler

Taper pinning jig so you can pin the gas block.

http://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms-taper-pin-gas-block-tool
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 06:41:34 PM »
Dave, the barrel dimple tool might have some use around here, but since I mostly run A2 front sight posts on everything I own, it would be rarely used.

I would tend to stick with an uppers configuration as is or buy a barrel that has the features I need done at the source.

That said, I did just have to fix my son's Sabre Defence upper after he replaced the front sight and it started short stroking because the gas block had moved out of position. In this case I put the original front sight back on and fixed the problem.

The taper pin tool would be used even less and after I buy the drill and reamer it costs too much to just site idle.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 07:43:14 PM »
I am going to add a few specialized pin punches and holders that I have always wished I had for a build, and my order is going out while the sale is good
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 12:59:37 AM »
You might want a receiver facing tool.  I don't know if it really makes a difference in accuracy, but I bought one and I've used it on all my builds.  The front of the receiver is often not square with the bore and this tool helps fix that.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 09:25:00 AM »
a receiver facing tool

I think I know where to borrow one of those if needed ;)
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 12:18:29 PM »
I think I know where to borrow one of those if needed ;)

:)

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 11:19:04 PM »
FYI, the Brownell's AR15 front sight bench block is not a keeper ( I should have read the reviews) it is being returned and a Schuster front sight block is replacing it.

Another great reason to buy from Brownell's...no questions asked 100% satisfaction guaranteed on every item they sell
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 08:23:00 PM »
You might want a receiver facing tool.  I don't know if it really makes a difference in accuracy, but I bought one and I've used it on all my builds.  The front of the receiver is often not square with the bore and this tool helps fix that.
Brian, did you get the receiver lapping tool or a cutter set up?
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder