< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: nite time hunting in the chicken pen  (Read 4075 times)

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
nite time hunting in the chicken pen
« on: November 07, 2014, 11:01:44 PM »
My dog was going nuts outside, so I took one of my AR,s to see what was up. I found this going against my 6 month old great pyraneese, biggest raccoon ive ever seen

« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 12:00:48 AM by shooter »
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: nite time hunting in the chicen pen
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 11:10:38 PM »
nice!  too bad the furs aren't worth much this year.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
Re: nite time hunting in the chicen pen
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 11:38:07 PM »
nice!  too bad the furs aren't worth much this year.

well it took 5 rounds of 62 grain goodness to stop it. so not sure if the fur is any good,
 NRA Endowment member

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
Re: nite time hunting in the chicken pen
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 02:09:00 AM »
I'm glad to see that there is at least one other member rockin' an EOTech. :)

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 08:22:19 AM »

well it took 5 rounds of 62 grain goodness to stop it. so not sure if the fur is any good,
Five?   :o

One leg at a time?  ;D

Offline zofoman

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 08:47:07 AM »

How many chikins are left?
"What, me worry?"  ~ Alfred E. Neuman

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2014, 09:53:57 AM »
Five?   :o

One leg at a time?  ;D

well, it wouldn't stop moving, I figured it was trying to go for a weapon,
 we got 9 chickens left, started with 30 in the spring, lost quite a few until I got this dog,
 NRA Endowment member

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2014, 04:04:21 PM »
well, it wouldn't stop moving, I figured it was trying to go for a weapon,
 we got 9 chickens left, started with 30 in the spring, lost quite a few until I got this dog,

sounds like you need me to stop over and do some coon calling....

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2014, 04:55:00 PM »
...coon calling......

Incredibly productive.   Just sit out where you can see them and get a clear shot when they come.  I've used a Critter Caller and one of those big 10-Jillion candle power flashlights and they come right to the call.   Always been able to put them down w/one shot from a .22mag. 

Just about any squeaker call should work.

And that night vision setup!!!   Never had the pleasure of using anything near like that setup in my life.   It has to be deadly.  Sure beats the big flashlight.

Shooter:   Given the number of rounds that Big Booger of yours absorbed, it could actually be a Small Black Bear/Raccoon cross  (which would account for the ringtail.)

I've heard my SE Missouri relatives speak of such odd critters, along with Wampus Kitties, Ozark Wombats, and other dark creatures of the dark night, such as never seen in daylight while squirrel hunting.  All that local lore starts coming out in the open after just one little glass of Reynolds County White Lightning.

sfg
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 05:14:12 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2014, 05:37:55 PM »
Just about any squeaker call should work.

And that night vision setup!!!   Never had the pleasure of using anything near like that setup in my life.   It has to be deadly.  Sure beats the big flashlight.

Shooter:   Given the number of rounds that Big Booger of yours absorbed, it could actually be a Small Black Bear/Raccoon cross  (which would account for the ringtail.)

i have a FoxPro Shockwave that i haven't had time to even take out in the field, it has a couple hundred calls on it.  i'd like to get into NV, but the cost is great considering i don't have time or access to land.

you know coons are nicknamed Lil Grizz for a reason, right?

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2014, 06:37:04 PM »
I've over the years have shot and trapped literally 100s of varmints in defense of chickens, always have been partial to a shotgun when shooting around the yard in the dark.

One thing is for sure when you get a coon use to eating chickens you can almost set your watch by when he'll be back, every night.

I've came to realization that it's cheaper to get your eggs and chicken from the store.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2014, 09:46:31 PM »
I used my Western Field .22LR rifle with a 4X scope to go coon hunting.    I'd walk the river bank and use my 6v lantern beam flash light to see their eyes glowing.  Put the cross hairs between the eyes and squeeze a round.   That was back in the 1970s when hides were $5 to $10 each.  I'd usually come back with at least 5 of them.

Back then I was teaching at Clarks HS and lived out in the country, about 5 miles south west of Clarks, Ne, about a mile from the Platte river.   The owner of the local Standard gas station, Ralph Rose, used to go with me.   He also bought the hides.    One year he bought a Red Bone coon hound but didn't want his wife to know, so he left it at my place.  The dog was supposed to have been trained. 

The first time we took him hunting and let him go he ran off into the night.  It was about 8pm.  Never saw him again until around midnight.  That dog never barked, bayed or anything else to let us know he was on a trail or had one treed.   Just disappeared.

I resorted to my beam flashlight.  Ralph and I walked in the opposite direction his dog took off in.   We had collected about 3 or 4 coons each.  It was about midnight.   My lamp caught the shining eyes of another coon about 75 yards away.  The eyes scurried toward the river embankment and disappeared.  Almost immediately a pair of eyes popped back up in the exact same spot the first pair had gone down.  I put the cross hairs between the glowing eyes and squeezed off a round.  For the first time that night we heard a noise come from a dog.  Covering the 75 yards to the spot we found Ralph's Red Bone hound laying on the ground with a hole between his eyes, dead.   Ralph picked the dog up, walked the two or three steps to the edge of the embankment and toss the dog into the river.

I don't know if he got his money back.  He never said.  I don't know if his wife ever found out about it.  He never got another dog, and we continued to used flashlights for the rest of our hunts.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2014, 10:40:21 AM »
I put the cross hairs between the glowing eyes and squeezed off a round.

It would seem that Ralph would really be mad at you.......

Because he didn't get to shoot that Damned No-Good No-Huntin' Dog.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2014, 08:42:04 PM »
It would seem that Ralph would really be mad at you.......

Because he didn't get to shoot that Damned No-Good No-Huntin' Dog.

sfg

His biggest complaint was that the dog wasn't trained as the ad claimed it would be.  He paid $200 or $300 for it ... I don't remember exactly.  Regardless, that was big money back then.  I was teaching at Clarks and was also their deputy marshal.   I was also the second highest paid teacher at the HS, second only to the wrestling/football coach, and my take home pay was $700/month.  So, $200 was big money.   It was wasted on that dog.