General Categories > The NFA Corner

NFA in Nebraska

(1/4) > >>

Chad McCumbers:
I wanted to put up a quick post about NFA items in Nebraska to answer a few questions that I hear regularly and maybe clear up some misconceptions. 

First, Nebraska is almost entirely open to Title II weapons.  This means that individual residents of NE my own any transferable machinegun, silencer, short rifle, short shotgun, any other weapon, and most destructive devices.  In NE you may also use your title II weapon to do anything that is otherwise legal, eg hunt with your silenced rifle.

There is no "class 3 license" required for an individual to own a title weapon.  The weapons transfer to individuals on tax paid form 4 (or form 5 under special cicumstances).

You can make your own NFA weapons (excluding new mgs) using a form 1.

Machineguns are divided into 3 groups by NFA regulation. Transferable guns are those made in the US before 1986 or imported before 1968.  Any individual can own these.  PreSample guns are those imported between 1968 and 1986.  These guns are restriced to dealers, but a dealer may retain them after a license is surrendered.  PostSample guns are those made or imported after 1986.  These are restricted to active dealers, law enforcement entities, and govt (there are some contractor exceptions).

The transferable guns are the expensive mgs that you see advertised.  The reason a transferable M16 $10K+ is that there is a limited number and high demand.  There is not a legal option for an individual to own the $1K M16 you see advertised to dealers or LE. 

A common comment that I hear is that the ATF can come search your house anytime if you buy NFA.  This is untrue.  You sacrifice no rights by submitting a form 4, you are in fact excercising your rights.

Just a few comments to gloss the subject.  The details of NFA ownership in NE may be addressed in the future.

If you have any questions pertaining to purchase, please email at chad@thegunshopne.com

Administrator:
I really want to get a 10.3" barrel and silencer for one of my AR-15's, but I've heard that it's hard to obtain a CLEO's signature in Lancaster County on NFA items. Does anyone have any experience with the Revocable Living Trust route that can be used to bypass a CLEO signature? I've been looking into it a lot lately as it's supposed to be pretty easy and straightforward.

1hickey:
So...

Are suppressors massed into the law with MGs, etc?   Is there only the paperwork to submit upon purchase of aforementioned weapons or accessories?  This is what I am reading into your post.  Say I wanted to get a suppressor for my little Walther P22 or get my Mini-14 modified for one, do I just have to be able to afford it and submit the form?

Jay:
I don't know this for sure, but reading through the original post, I think Mr. McCumbers might not have wanted to go into much more detail about the process at this time because I am wanting to do an article in a future newsletter regarding the NFA rules, and the process of purchasing one. I hoped to be able to actually purchase one myself and write an article on my experience, detailing it step by step. Well, I still want to do this, but it is going to be some time before I can afford to actually make a purchase.

Please feel free to go into more details on this. You're not going to ruin my article, and besides getting the info out to our members is more important to me than any article that I might want to do.

Chad McCumbers:

--- Quote from: Sam on January 22, 2008, 01:20:59 PM ---I really want to get a 10.3" barrel and silencer for one of my AR-15's, but I've heard that it's hard to obtain a CLEO's signature in Lancaster County on NFA items. Does anyone have any experience with the Revocable Living Trust route that can be used to bypass a CLEO signature? I've been looking into it a lot lately as it's supposed to be pretty easy and straightforward.

--- End quote ---

I sold a number of items in Lancaster County to corps and trusts formed to avoid dealing with the CLEO.  Having said that, you should make an appointment and ask before you form the corp or trust.  Be polite and don't tell them about the corp or trust if they refuse, thank them for their time and leave.  I assume they know, but do not rub it in and make it a point of contention.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version