< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: G22 Gen4 Rattles  (Read 999 times)

Offline thirtydaZe

• NFOA Full Member
G22 Gen4 Rattles
« on: November 11, 2014, 08:49:39 PM »
Not so much when the magazine isn't in the thing, but once it holstered, ready to go, on my person, its basically every step i take.  Almost enough so where it seems to me it'd be obvious im carrying concealed.

A glock thing?  It shoots excellent, so nothing mechanical going on.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
Re: G22 Gen4 Rattles
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 09:18:21 PM »
Not so much when the magazine isn't in the thing, but once it holstered, ready to go, on my person, its basically every step i take.  Almost enough so where it seems to me it'd be obvious im carrying concealed.

What exactly is rattling?  The slide-to-frame fit?  The rounds in the magazine? 

(If I don't fill my mags all the way up, they sometimes rattle.  When full, they don't.)

Slide-to-frame fit should NOT rattle.  Matter of fact, other than the above-mentioned not-full-magazine rattle, the Glock shouldn't be making any noise at all.  (The only time you'd hear noise would be if you pulled off the slide and shook it strongly---you can hear the striker move in the channel.)

Where's the noise coming from?
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline thirtydaZe

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 09:22:16 PM »
Seems like the magwell when the magazines locked in.  Mag is fully loaded, and 1 chambered.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 05:50:43 AM »
Seems like the magwell when the magazines locked in.  Mag is fully loaded, and 1 chambered.

Do you have an external magwell added to the gun?

Offline thirtydaZe

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 09:30:59 AM »
Do you have an external magwell added to the gun?

no i sure don't.  it's kind of an oddity.  with a fully loaded mag, i can shake the magazine with nothing to hear.  i can then in turn shake the pistol without the mag installed, no rattle.  once the mag is inserted it rattles.  it's almost like the magazine is rocking back and forth in the magwell.

this isn't my video, but basically this is what's going on.

i have 150 rounds through it.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 09:57:20 AM »
no i sure don't.  it's kind of an oddity.  with a fully loaded mag, i can shake the magazine with nothing to hear.  i can then in turn shake the pistol without the mag installed, no rattle.  once the mag is inserted it rattles.  it's almost like the magazine is rocking back and forth in the magwell.

this isn't my video, but basically this is what's going on.

i have 150 rounds through it.

In the video, the cause of the rattle is pressure being placed on the magazine spring enough so that rounds (or at least a specific round) can move back and forth. 

If your gun is rattling for the same reasons, you can try a couple of things:

1) tap the magazine so that the loaded rounds are all seated as far rearward as possible in the, apply pressure to the top round to depress the spring as much as possible, and smack the bottom of the mag to pop the spring a bit. 

This sometimes adjusts the round/spring seating so they hold in place better.

2) use a different magazine for carry (this doesn't happen with all of your mags, does it?)

...it occurs to me to ask--when you carry, do you have a loaded magazine plus one in the chamber?  Or do you start with one in the mag, then chamber one so the mag is one down?  That can make a difference, too.

3) fill the entire magazine with silicone.  No rattle.

(Please don't actually do that one.)

:)

(Truthfully, I would just suggest #2.  This doesn't happen with all of your magazines, does it?)

Offline thirtydaZe

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 11:44:21 AM »
i'll give them a shot.  i guess i'm embarrassed to say, not sure if it's happening in another magazine.

when chambering i start with a full mag, then add one back in.

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 06:34:39 PM »
Rattling tupperware is not good.