< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: So much for interstate transport laws...  (Read 843 times)

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
So much for interstate transport laws...
« on: November 19, 2014, 05:17:41 PM »
http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Rifle-Ammunition-Found-in-Mans-Car-Near-White-House-RJ-Kapheim-283250401.html
Rifle, Ammunition and Blade Found in Man's Car Near White House

A man who approached Secret Service outside the White House was arrested after officers found a rifle, 6-inch blade and ammunition in his car Wednesday afternoon.
R.J. Kapheim, 41, approached a Secret Service officer just before 1 p.m. and said "someone in Iowa told me to drive to the White House."
Officers found a .30-30 rifle, a 6-inch fixed blade and ammunition in Kapheim's parked car at 16th Street and Constitution Avenue NW.
Kapheim was arrested for having an unregistered firearm, and additional charges are pending.

*** read more at link ***

Not too many details as usual. Was he a felon? Did he make any threats?
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
Re: So much for interstate transport laws...
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 06:00:20 PM »
Maybe legal according to federal transportation laws if the man wasn't a felon but there are certain areas I couldn't imagine taking a firearm and I'm pretty sure D.C. and the White House top the list, followed by NY, NJ, HI, IL, CA, etc..... Sad our rights should know no bounds, especially state lines. :(
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

Offline 66bigblock

• Lead Benefactor
  • When SHTF, which side of the Fan will you be on?
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 06:16:08 PM »
Thats what happens when you listen to someone from Iowa

66bigblock
I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.  I carry a lot of ammo because I cant run very fast.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 06:57:55 PM »
He shoulda declared in advance his intent to register his rifle.

Here's the procedure (from the Washington, DC website):
===========================================
Previously Owned Firearm

To register a firearm you already own, you must file an application immediately after the firearm is brought into the District.  You can comply with this requirement by personally communicating your intent to register the firearm to the FRS before bringing the gun into the District.   You must then file an application for a registration certificate within 48 hours after communicating your intent to do so.
===========================================

Guess the Iowa Guy didn't tell him.   But then, he shoulda known.

FWIW,

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 08:23:05 PM »
Another possibility is that he was out of work and running out of cash and needed free room and board, with free clothing, health care and dental benefits, and recreation time thrown in for good measure.

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 08:20:02 AM »
If I understand this correctly, my legally registered firearm (don't get me started on that little bit of data mining) would also have to be registered in DC if I took it with me on vacation there? But if I let them know I was going to register it prior to getting to DC I would have 48 hours to register it with them?  Good thing it would take more than 48 hours to cause any mayhem once I was there.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 09:53:29 AM »
If I understand this correctly..............

You Do.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 02:39:02 PM »
Two words...
Stuuu  Pid.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline RedDot

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 07:16:03 PM »
Was he deer hunting in the Field of Dreams when he was told to "Drive to the White House" ?  ;D