< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Annual Physical - blood lead levels tested  (Read 750 times)

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Annual Physical - blood lead levels tested
« on: November 29, 2014, 11:04:30 AM »
Had my annual physical this month and decided to have my lead level tested.   Doctor knows I'm involved in numerous firearms activities including reloading.  He said he hadn't been asked for lead levels to be checked before.  I don't worry much about my doctor sharing information about my firearms ownership with the government because of how public that is for me already.

I was quite surprised when I looked through the blood test results.  The sheet for the Lead test says "Results reported to the State Health Department".   Does anyone know why that would be?  My results showed <3.3 with a reference range of <40.0.  So there isn't anything unusual with the results.  Is this a test that reporting to the State is required by law?   The tests were performed by PLS Omaha.  I have not contacted them yet to ask why the results get reported to the state.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 03:10:39 PM by RLMoeller »

Offline UPCrawfish

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Annual Physical - blood lead levels tested
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 11:13:39 AM »
Looks like it might be a CDC Guideline to all laboratories that if they perform a lead level blood test, those results should be reported the state's department of health. 

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/lead/data/national.htm
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 03:10:53 PM by RLMoeller »

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 04:21:06 PM »
Now you're on the list....

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 04:49:52 PM »
Good move to get the lead levels checked every so often.

Been doing mine at every annual physical checkup, because of reloading, shooting indoors, handling quite a bit of lead.  Lead Level has consistently been LL<3.3 micrograms/deciliter. 

(FWIW, onset of lead poisoning is generally considered to take place at 40 micrograms/deciliter.)

The thing we all have to watch out for is when the iron in our blood turns to lead in our butts.
   Gettin' there.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline JAK

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 06:30:00 PM »

Did a quick web search and  under Nebraska Title 173 Chapter 1, the results of all lead tests need to be reported.  Title 173 Chapter 1 deals with communicable diseases and poisoning.

John K

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 06:59:18 PM »
I think it could have to do with the EPA and the federal monies being spent to clear the topsoil east of 72 Str. Test results based upon current address with lead level results is probably the info they want.

BTW, my test results said the same about reporting.
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan