< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Pelini is Fired!  (Read 2011 times)

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Pelini is Fired!
« on: November 30, 2014, 11:48:19 AM »
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11958376/nebraska-cornhuskers-fire-bo-pelini

Lucky Guy!!

Now he's got (a) a big cash buyout settlement and (b) lotsa time to go shooting.

Odd that he would get fired before any bowl selection.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline newfalguy101

• Forum Member
Re: Pelini is Fired!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 12:15:56 PM »
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11958376/nebraska-cornhuskers-fire-bo-pelini

Lucky Guy!!

Odd that he would get fired before any bowl selection.

sfg

Not really, there is some kind of rule concerning recruiting that results in coaching changes being MADE before the bowls.

On the upside, Muschamp from Florida and I am pretty sure Hokes from MI w are available to interview, as is the defensive co-oridnator from Texas A&M

Offline newfalguy101

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 12:17:01 PM »
I have never been a big fan of Pelini, but, honestly, with his record I am surprised they canned him

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 12:33:35 PM »
Heard a rumor of Bob Stoops, Oklahoma.
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 12:33:39 PM »
how many coaches want to coach at a school where you win 9 games a year and still get canned?

yes, Pelini never did beat a high ranked team, but I still liked him better than Callahan.  I blame our current state on Peterson and Callahan... worse mistakes ever in Husker history.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 01:47:18 PM »
how many coaches want to coach at a school where you win 9 games a year and still get canned?

Teams like Florida Atlantic really shouldn't count.  As the AD keeps saying in the press conference, what really matters is the record against ranked teams. 

Nebraskans have been pretty patient and long-suffering with Bo.  This doesn't come as a surprise.

ESPN announcers were throwing around Scott Frost's name.  Don't know if there's anything to that, but I do see some clown has already edited the Wikipedia entry for Scott Frost, saying that he's "currently the head coach at the University of Nebraska". 
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline newfalguy101

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 02:52:54 PM »
Frost might not be a bad option, actually.

Currently with Oregon  as  offensive corridnator and coached under Chip Kelley for several years..................on the other hand, I cant see that helping the defense much...

Offline newfalguy101

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2014, 02:54:47 PM »

I think it would surprise you how many coaches would love a crack at the Nebraska job...........top notch facilities, excellent recruiting, great history, and high pay..

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2014, 03:04:59 PM »
Considering this childish outburst Pelini was lucky he wasn't fired last year.
All of that is just the prelude to Pelini's message for the Huskers' fans: "It took everything in my power to not say, 'F*** you, fans. F*** all of you.' **** 'em." After Sharpe says a lot of students had left at halftime, the woman starts to say that people did return to their seats. Pelini interjects: "Our crowd. What a bunch of f***ing fair-weather f***ing—they can all kiss my a$$ out the ****ing door. 'Cause the day is f***ing coming now. We'll see what they can do when I'm f***ing gone. I'm so f***ing pissed off."

Pelini was the MOST uncouth coach I've ever witnessed, especially in  his public behavior.  He wasn't a roll model, like Tom Osborne was, to whom you could point your young children to as an example.

What good are a bunch of championships if the lessons your children learn are to be as foulmouthed and self-centered as he was?

He would have been gone four years ago except that money talks and everything else walks.  For that we have only ourselves to blame.

Offline Mntnman

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2014, 03:27:12 PM »
Considering this childish outburst Pelini was lucky he wasn't fired last year.
Pelini was the MOST uncouth coach I've ever witnessed, especially in  his public behavior.  He wasn't a roll model, like Tom Osborne was, to whom you could point your young children to as an example.

What good are a bunch of championships if the lessons your children learn are to be as foulmouthed and self-centered as he was?

He would have been gone four years ago except that money talks and everything else walks.  For that we have only ourselves to blame.

I hope nobody ever gets me in a secret recording when I am blowing off steam.

People so quickly forget all of the good that he does and solely focus on the negative that the media fuels. This moves sets us back further and now I would not be surprised if our sellout streak comes to an end. This is just a symptom of our ever increasing microwave society of everything right now.

Offline Phantom

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2014, 05:16:13 PM »
Wasn't Frosts Father a High School football Coach ?

I wonder if the AD realizes that he just bet his career don't end up just the same like Petersons and Callahans did.

After Peterson and Callahan I don't think Nebraskans are going to wait for 4 seasons this time around to see results before they start calling for Heads to Roll Starting with the ADs 

"If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians would come out of the...the gene pool, they'd a stayed up in the trees and written evolution off as a bad idea.....Hell, I always thought the opposable thumb was overrated.  "-- Sheridan, "Babylon 5"

Offline Mntnman

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2014, 05:51:55 PM »
I hope the sellout streak survives this arrogance. The nine win streak of seven almost certainly won't.

Offline newfalguy101

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2014, 08:35:24 PM »
Wasn't Frosts Father a High School football Coach ?

I wonder if the AD realizes that he just bet his career don't end up just the same like Petersons and Callahans did.

After Peterson and Callahan I don't think Nebraskans are going to wait for 4 seasons this time around to see results before they start calling for Heads to Roll Starting with the ADs 

Frost is from Wood River if I recall correctly, where his dad coached.

In my opinion, any incoming coach should get a 5 year contract out of the gate, the reason being, the first 4 years he is coaching guys he didn't recruit.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2014, 09:42:14 PM »
I hope the sellout streak survives this arrogance. The nine win streak of seven almost certainly won't.

Nine wins, but how many of those nine were against inferior teams in lower divisions?  McNeese State?  Fresno State?

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2014, 09:56:15 PM »
 I wonder how many people remember how long it tool Bob Devaney to win a national championship, or for Tom Osborn . they had many years where people were yelling for a new coach,

Im still pissed that  Lyell Bremser  isn't the on air announcer for the game anymore, so what if hes dead,  even dead he is still better than what we have now,
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2014, 07:07:20 AM »
Heard a rumor of Bob Stoops, Oklahoma.

Speaking as an OU alum .... NOT !!!  No reason for him to leave his own Dynasty and fans that LOVE him and secondly, Nebraska would NEVER pony up the money required to bring a caliber coach as him ....

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2014, 07:08:32 AM »

Yes and Devaney wore a "halo".  No disrespect, but this comparison to Saint Tom gets old .....

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2014, 07:53:36 AM »
Yes and Devaney wore a "halo".  No disrespect, but this comparison to Saint Tom gets old .....

Osborne was not a saint. (For example, I couldn't stand often how he covered for his players when they did stupid illegal things.)   That being said--he could at least demonstrate self-control on the field.

I must admit, the first time Pellini lost it during a game, I started wishing they would fire him.  We aren't talking about venting in private, we are talking about a professional demonstrating a complete lack of self-discipline and self-control at the very moment in which he is supposed to be demonstrating professionalism.

His continued behavior afterward simply made me wish more and more that they'd fire him.  I assume that if the team had improved, they would have kept him no matter how bad his behavior. 
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2014, 10:31:05 AM »
No disrespect, but this comparison to Saint Tom gets old .....

You DARE speak ill of a living god in Nebraska?!  Off with his head! I had a chance to meet and do business with Tom.  He is a very nice man.  I never liked Pelini because he did not represent UNL or Nebraska in the way that I would prefer.   There have been many articles written by fans of opposing teams about how nice the Nebraska fans treated them while they visited Lincoln for a game.  I don't want Nebraska to slip into the nasty behavior that you see from fans in other states.  For example, the rowdy fans from those dirty cheating Texas teams. ;D   Though when your head coach is setting the example by being a fowl mouth hot head, then what do our young and upcoming fans learn?

For example, I couldn't stand often how he covered for his players when they did stupid illegal things.

There are two possibilities.  1) TO was only doing this because he wanted a winning team, or 2) He was doing it from compassion. 

I lean towards #2 because I believe he spoke a few times about some of these young men coming from less privileged beginnings without good role models.  To most of us, if we were given the gift of a talent and a potential million dollar NFL career, we would recognize what we had and do everything not to botch it up.  To a lot of these troubled players, they just don't get it.  They have been taught (maybe indirectly from their environment) that not making it is no big deal.  I'm not making excuses for them, but when you are taught one way of thinking into your early adulthood, that is awfully difficult to overcome unless someone like a TO helps you out.

But then, maybe that was just Tom's cover and all he really cared about was the Benjamin. 

Fly
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 10:35:34 AM by OnTheFly »
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2014, 11:25:01 AM »
He is a very nice man. 

The same is said about Obama ....