< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: .22LR for pistol use  (Read 6662 times)

1hickey

.22LR for pistol use
« on: January 22, 2008, 02:23:46 PM »
Since I am trying out my Walther P22, does anyone that has experience with this sidearm have suggestions for a reliably shooting rimfire cartridge for the P22?  My el cheapo stuff is OK for plinking, but what is more reliable for actual use?  It seems like there is an impressive array of .22LR rounds out there these days.

Administrator

Re: .22LR for pistol use
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 04:13:55 PM »
I always see CCI Mini-Mags recommended.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 10:02:25 AM »
Can you define "actual use"? I hope you were not considering that P22 for self defense :o.................

I thought plinking, pest control, and practice was pretty much all the actual use a .22 pistol had.......
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

1hickey

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 10:12:27 AM »
Mostly around the farm.  I do know that quite a few people carry them.  Don't know if I would....

Although, unless someone was revved up on meth, putting a little .22 or two in 'em would probably make them stop their foolishness.  I wouldn't want to get shot with a .22!  Come to think of it, at pistol range, a .22 would probably do just as good a job under most self-defense circumstances without killing.  Not sure if guaranteed head removal from a combat pistol or big revolver would be a prerequisite for me as far as carry.

Now you've got me thinking, Jim!!  That's never good. ::)

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 10:13:25 AM »
oh oh, the dreaded .22lr thread.........  ;D

Popcorn is in the microwave!

When 1hickey and I were discussing my options for a carry pistol back in the day, he was pretty outspoken against a 9mm... now he has a .22!  :-* LOL

Administrator

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 10:29:22 AM »

What's next? 9mm vs. .45? ;D

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 10:34:35 AM »
Can I kill a bear with a 10mm?

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 10:48:34 AM »
Ok, sorry to hijack the thread. Just had to do a little flamin' since it was Hick!  ;D

We don't want to scare people off from asking questions that don't realize we're all friends here!

I do agree, I wouldn't want to get shot with a .22lr, but in the same breath I'm not sure I would want to trust my life to one either.

A .22 would be better than nothing, but that is about it.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 11:04:45 AM »
Here we go again, reinventing the wheel.......

Col. Jeff Cooper discussed this topic to death  (it was a quick death) over ten years ago in his "Jeff Cooper's Comentaries". I do know of ONE person that carries  a .22 for personal defense, but she does so because she's in her 60's and arthritis prevents her from shooting anything heavier. Cooper said the only place a .22 has a good chance of stopping an attacker is  if you shoot them in the eye sockets, and the lady in question can draw and empty her Ruger .22 into a face sized target at 7 yards in very short order!

Jay, can we put up a link to Cooper's Comentaries? It is excellent reading, and I highly recommend it.

On the subject of .22s for personal defense, I like this Machiavelli quote: "Never do your enemy a minor injury."

Or to expand on Cooper's answer to "Do you have anthing GOOD to say about the .25 Auto?"- Cooper replied "It's a GUN!", I would say TWO good things about a .22 for Self Defense: It's a GUN, AND it's better than a .25 AUTO!
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

1hickey

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 11:09:01 AM »
This is good stuff!! ;D ;D

I like it we can have fun!

Not to get the 9mm vs. .45 thing going, but a .45 is my choice for a sidearm you want to effect any real damage with.  Ask anybody in the military who carries the M9.  They'll tell you almost universally that it may be a good weapon, but something to take into battle needs more cajones.  Heck, it literally took a direct congressional order for the Marines to give up the 1911 and go to the M9.

1hickey

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 11:14:11 AM »
Don't worry Jay, I haven't lost my mind....

I still roll my eyes at a 9mm for a defensive weapon.  I never even bothered to pursue qualification on one in the Army.  Give me a SAW, M2, or the Bradley any day!! :-*

The XD .45ACP will be MY carry weapon. ;D

1hickey

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 11:21:06 AM »
A bear? ???

Actually that's a legitimate question in the west.  Obviously, anything short of a .50 cal Desert Eagle is only going to piss the bear off more.  When I lived in Arizona, having a carry weapon when you were out in the bush was a necessity from critters, not folks.  Lots of the old timers carried BIG revolvers, or a .45.  My cousin always kept a .22LR loaded with bird shot in his pickup as well for rattlesnakes, if you can believe it.  He shot more rattlesnakes than anything else.  The harder thing to kill in a tussle than a bear is a javelina.  Those things seem to be armor plated sometimes.  They actually scare me more than a bear.  Pigs are just so unpredictable.

How did this thread get here??

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2008, 11:46:32 AM »
Jim, Great idea. I think we should absolutely put up a link. I only have a bit here, but I will get one up on the links page tonight when I get a chance.

As for reinventing the wheel, yes I know this has been beaten to death, but what we have to remember is that there are new people, both young and old, that are discovering firearms, and all the questions that go with them, every day and they have not read all the same old threads that the oldtimers have. What's old news to some is a burning question for others. We just have to politely point them in the right direction.

That's where the bear thing came in, it was my attempt at a joke about something that I have seen a million times.  ::)

It truly is hard having a board that will be interesting enough for seasoned shooters and at the same time helpful to newbies. I'm happy with our direction so far, just have to keep working on growing it.

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2008, 11:50:10 AM »
Come on 1hickey, some would say you have lost your mind for rolling your eyes at a 9mm! (Especially from someone who is currently carrying a .22!  ;D)

HA!

Man, talk about a thread with no direction..... LOL

1hickey

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2008, 11:58:27 AM »
 ;D

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2008, 12:17:43 PM »
, yes I know this has been beaten to death, but what we have to remember is that there are new people, both young and old, that are discovering firearms, and all the questions that go with them, every day and they have not read all the same old threads that the oldtimers have. What's old news to some is a burning question for others. We just have to politely point them in the right direction.

It truly is hard having a board that will be interesting enough for seasoned shooters and at the same time helpful to newbies. I'm happy with our direction so far, just have to keep working on growing it.

Precisely why you should link Cooper's Comentaries. I thought of myself as a fairly experienced shooter, and then I learned more in the months that I read those Commentaries than in all the years before...... Not only that, Cooper's razor sharp wit is a joy to read!

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2008, 10:27:04 PM »
"Information Arsenal" added to the forums. I'll give you the honors of posting the link, JimP!  ;D

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2008, 07:22:42 PM »
I use Remington Golden bullets for Range plinking.

When I'm competing (Bowling Pins, etc...) the only .22 ammo I've found that I can trust is CCI Minimags

1hickey

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2008, 06:51:17 AM »
Thanks, looks like the consensus here and other places is the CCIs for use.  Gotta make sure I get the critters!!

1hickey

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2008, 09:37:24 PM »
Purchased a couple different types of CCI .22LR and they work great in the Walther.  No more problems!  ;D

Just for reference...the bulk box of .22LR HP (Winchester branded) that I got at Scheels has to have been the worst box of rimfire I have seen ever, hands down.  The lead literally wobbled around on the brass like tiny dancers.  This was not an anomaly, but representative of the whole box.  Some of the rounds even had half the lead cut off the bullet by machinery.  I am planning on taking that box back to them.  I no longer have the receipt, but they need to know how bad it is.