< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Looking for a Med Kit  (Read 4996 times)

Offline FLUFF

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
Looking for a Med Kit
« on: January 10, 2012, 09:51:28 PM »
I am looking for some type of med kit to have on the line at some of the shooting events I attend. I am not an EMT or Medic. I just want some type of Med kit around to provide care if need until better trained personel arrives. It does not need to be in a camo bag , military surplus , ect. Just a good kit that gives me good value for my dollars.

Anybody have any suggestions on where to start or what I should have on hand ?

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Looking for a Med Kit
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 09:58:14 PM »
http://nebraskafirearms.org/forum/index.php/topic,4430.0.html

We talked about first aid and kits in this thread a while back. Might be helpful
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 10:07:28 PM »
something simple for that would be a stack of 4x4 gauze, and some tape or an elastic bandage.  I assume you are speaking in the even t of a richocet wound?
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 10:57:27 PM »
My wife is looking for a scalpel for ours, so I bet you can guess how much stuff we have in it.  I think she can do blood transfusions and I know she has 2 Saline IV's.  But anyway the way I started and what I like is just getting a small cloth tackle box, you can get the lure boxes to help organize and put small things in.  Then just pick up what you think you will need at the Drug store when there.  A few bandaids and some antibiotic then add on some gauze, tape and elastic wrap whatever you may come up with as you go.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 06:50:26 AM »
Tampons and duct tape.

Offline gsd

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 11:16:44 AM »
Tampons and duct tape.

honestly, not a bad suggestion.  Many uses these have.

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 01:03:20 PM »
I always have a small kit with me anytime I am shooting. It doesn't have to be too large or complex.

You will use bandaids the most so you will want a few of those along with some gauze pads and tape to take care of anything that a bandaid wont cover. Latex gloves, a combination bandage and a commercial tourniquet will help you attempt to stabilize most life threatening injuries with just a little training.

Here are several resources that I have used

https://www.tacmedsolutions.com/store/index.php
http://www.narescue.com/

Leave the tampons in your wife's purse. There is more to packing a wound properly than just shoving absorbant material in a hole. Do it wrong and you will likely do more harm than good.

- Shawn
"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline gsd

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 04:16:56 PM »
never shove a tampon in an open wound.  Lay it across the top and then tape it on.  You NEVER put ANYTHING in an open wound.  Trust me,I've been doing this for close to 6 years.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 09:22:02 AM »
I have a kit in each of my vehicles that's based on this pouch: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/Molle018-1.html

I get most of my medical supplies from: http://www.chinookmed.com/  They also sell complete kits if you don't want to assemble one yourself.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 12:04:44 PM »
Speaking as a real doctor of almost 18 years of school, two residencies, private practice and military medicine (and not playing one on TV), my tampon and duct tape comment was meant to be light hearted, but again could be used in a last ditch emergency.  I leave my IFAK in the truck when going out to eat or a movie with my wife, but she always has her purse. 
I agree with Shawn on properly packing a wound, but there is a modicum of time, training, expense, available supplies and handling the stress, etc that plays a part.    Kind of like gross motor skills involved in a gun fight versus fine.   Heck, I'd use an old rag soaked in Hoppes No.9 for a pressure dressing if it was all I had available.  Direct firm pressure on a bleeder is still the treatment modality of choice.  There are obvious exceptions that you are probably screwed on like a subclavian artery bleed.   
With regards to CATs (combat action tourniquet), I am still ambivalent.  I am not a vascular surgeon but have two very close friends that are and we've discussed the topic extensively.  Yes, they've (the CATs) been used frequently across the pond, blah blah blah.   Both of them have dealt extensively with GSWs, combat injuries and other gross traumatic injuries over the years (I just usually see the smashed in face/H&N trauma).   Both of them are adamantly opposed to the use of a tourniquet except the most extreme cases, and both can count on less than one hand seeing such over their long careers.  An "example" one shared in Nebraksa is the farmer's son whose leg is traumatically amputated by the grain auger.  When one is used, keep in mind that person is going to lose said limb if still intact like say a femoral artey GSW. (which I'd be fine with personally if it were me and I am still among the living).  Let me quailify...not saying they don't have a place.  Just very limited.  Okay....let me have it ..    :)

Offline LawyerJan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 05:04:18 PM »
The NRA Store has a handy kit with most of what would be commonly needed. http://www.nrastore.com/nrastore/ProductDetail.aspx?p=HO+22677&ct=e

A couple years ago NRA gave a pouch with a trama kit (not the same kit mentioned above) as some promotion, its in my range bag in an outside pocket (if a shooting buddy needs to borrow it, especially if I'm the one bleeding).  I've added regular bandaids (for slide bites) and pain reliever for other aches and pains.
NRA, USCCA, NFOA

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 07:15:54 PM »
bullit,

I have been working as a Professional Paramedic as long as you have been a Dr and a Tactical Medic for five years, and just like you, Ive seen many treatments come and go. In my entire career Ive only seen tourniquets used a couple of times.

I cant recall ever having trouble using direct pressure to successfully control severe bleeding. But I have a couple of advantages that helped me. I have an entire ambulance full of equipment, a "generally" secure scene and the help of at least one other Medic along with several EMTs.

End up by yourself, in a hostile environment with severe bleeding from an extremity and a TK may be what saves your life.

I teach a Tactical Medicine course and I tell the students that direct pressure should be attempted first to control severe bleeding from an extremity, unless you are by yourself or under fire or have an expectation that you may be fired upon again. In those cases put on the TK. It would be nearly impossible for a person to apply enough pressure to their own limb to be truly effective.

There are a number of scenarios that would put EMS too far out to be of immediate help. One of the victims of the Von Mauer shooting died from a single gunshot to the lower leg. If that victim had even a basic knowledge of how a TK worked and the proper mindset they could have saved themselves because nobody stepped up to even attempt direct pressure.

In all the literature and research I have read the generally accepted time for removal of a TK, without severe damage, is three hours. Limbs have been saved with TKs applied as long as eight hours but with some lasting injury. 

Our PHTLS protocols have changed to include the use of TKs prehospital. We are allowed to apply a BP cuff and use it as a TK if we are unable to control bleeding with direct pressure. Pressure points and elevation are out and have been deemed as ineffective.

Your right that they have been used extensively in the middle east. One of the complaints is that they have been used too frequently on injuries that didn't require them. But, as I'm sure you know, lying in the dirt and bleeding to death from an extremity has been the number one preventable cause of death on the battlefield for hundreds of years. The use of TKs has and will continue to save lives on the battlefield. And, to a lesser degree, they will find a place in pre hospital and law enforcement.

Limited use? Absolutely. But I would rather have one and not need it...as the saying goes. 

- Shawn
"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 08:12:01 PM »
Shawn...we are on the same page.  I too have seen the recommendations, protocols, empirical evidence, etc. changing with the times.  It has been counterintutive to our old way of training.  I should have added that the advances in vascular care/trauma surgery in the past 10 years alone are pretty remarkable ensuring better outcomes.  Before our most recent war experience, the majority of our "war wound" training cases occured on rotation at Ben Taub in Houston and Charity in New Orleans.
 In short, rather be "wrong" and have the CAT available and have it applied than the potential alternative.  Your Von Maur example is great reason for our discussion of the topic and encouraging training however basic it may seem. 

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2012, 08:57:44 PM »
I can only imagine what it must have been like to work trauma in New Orleans and Houston. Omaha averages around 40 murders a year, I think Houston and N.O. average a couple hundred.  :o

- Shawn

www.88tactical.com

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2012, 07:35:50 AM »
After reviewing my post, "our" groups that have trained at Taub and Charity  may make it sound like I was part of those said groups.  My use of "our" was used to refer to military medicine as a whole.   My exposure/experiences were with Fleet Hosptial/Naval Hospital Camp Pendleton.  Always like to remain honest in case I run for office.....NOT !!!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 07:40:16 AM by bullit »

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2012, 09:31:06 AM »
Got one for Christmas from an Eddie Bauer store. Says its for hikers but It is full of a good amount of items one could find handy.