< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Need A Small Pack  (Read 7738 times)

Offline thirtydaZe

• NFOA Full Member
Need A Small Pack
« on: December 02, 2014, 01:56:02 PM »
I'm not even sure what i'm looking for to be exact, i'm just finding myself at work, today, a day that wearing a sweater would be to hot.  I have to be in pants and a tucked shirt, and CCing is just to awkward here, unless i can have an untucked shirt, aka, a sweater.

I rarely wear a coat, as i have to be outside for about a 10 yard walk from my truck to the building, but today i grabbed a coat so i could carry my Shield in it's pocket.

I'm thinking what i'm looking for is something that i could for the most part keep in my truck, perhaps have some emergency items in it, along with a weapon, but still not look to odd me carrying it into the job.

i checked the edc forums but nothing really jumped out at me, just curious if anyone shares a similar dilemma, and has anything good for me to consider.

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Need A Small Pack
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 02:25:21 PM »
...but still not look to odd me carrying it into the job.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Maybe you need a good over-the-shoulder bag like the kind that has put the old-fashioned "briefcase" in its grave.  A lot of us carry them to work and other places with (depending upon the job) a tablet or laptop, lunch, flashlight, multitool, pens and paper, camera, medicines and first aid, emergency contact lists, etc.

"Etc." can include gun and ammo.

A man-purse basically.

They go all the way from "did you get that at Walmart" to "cost is not an issue", e.g., Saddleback Leather Co's stuff is really top shelf, but nobody will accuse it of looking feminine.  Gotta love their company motto, "They'll fight over it when you're dead."   :D

http://www.saddlebackleather.com/briefcase?quantity=1&custcol2=Tobacco&custcol3=Natura%20Pigskin&custcol15=Current

http://www.saddlebackleather.com/messenger?quantity=1&custcol2=Tobacco&custcol3=Natura%20Pigskin&custcol15=Current

Maxpedition is probably more practical and they have pretty much everything under the sun.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 02:30:49 PM by feralcatkillr »
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline thirtydaZe

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 02:40:10 PM »
^^That is actually not a bad idea.  One i hadn't considered.  I'm always carrying lunch and other items separately anyhow...

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 02:51:45 PM »
I have one of these that I picked up a while back that serves as kind of an "all-over" pack, only complaint I had was the water bottle holder tore, but that was my fault.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fieldline-Tactical-Roe-Sling-Pack-Black/26357370
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline Lmbass14

• Powder Benefactor
  • Red Horse - Semper Ducimus
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 03:25:44 PM »
I use this, don't worry about the price, if you sign up for the daily sales, you'll get one on the cheap.  Mine was free just had to pay postage which was $18.  Excellent quality, and they have all kinds of cool stuff.

The laptop pack is a really good idea, until you set it down then lose control, which could be a very bad thing.

http://www.tommysgunpack.com/category_s/22.htm

Have you thought of a sneaky pete?

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 04:07:24 PM »
I use a 5.11 Pushpack when I carry at the gym (or when Im too lazy to put on a holster). Its not very fashionable but it has an internal holster that secures my G17 nicely, can fit an extra mag, some med kit and a few workout items (wrist wraps, paddle lock, Ipod, water bottle) with some room to spare. All without being too bulky.

http://www.511tactical.com/push-pack.html

- Shawn
"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline JAK

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 04:31:26 PM »
Since you are carrying a small pistol, have you considered the Sneaky Pete holsters?

http://www.sneakypeteholsters.com/

John K

Offline DenmanShooter

• NFOA Full Member
  • Fear No Evil
    • SolidRed
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 07:24:34 PM »
You can pick up a fieldline brand at several places, like walmart, some Menards and etc.

Good quality for the price and they have a lot of variations, including MOLLE for attaching accessories.

The golf course is a willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range!      Jeff  Cooper

Offline Greybeard

• Bronze Benefactor
  • Live Free or Die!!
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 08:44:07 PM »
I wear a Sneaky Pete everywhere I go. It is only noticed by other CC folks, nobody else has ever commented on it, including police officers.
WØCHF

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2014, 09:07:47 PM »
I use a Wilderness Safepacker for carrying my G30 and a spare mag in to work  and when I am just making a quick run to the store in sweats.

I also hang it on a door knob when at home so the G30 and a spare 10 rounds are always within reach
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2014, 10:19:43 PM »
One word.  Fanny pack. 

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2014, 05:40:05 AM »
Fly took a selfie? :o

Offline Lmbass14

• Powder Benefactor
  • Red Horse - Semper Ducimus
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2014, 07:43:29 AM »
Fly, your green beard is rockn'.  Yep, fanny packs come in pink for those "special" situations.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2014, 08:17:46 AM »
First, I'm not a fan of off-body carry.  A pack is much more likely to be compromised or stolen than a holster on your person.

With that out of the way, I'm a pack nut.  In fact, I'm working on a tactical messenger bag "shootout" piece for the adventure/gear blog that I write for.  I've come across some very interesting packs in doing my research.

Right now, I'm carrying a Hazard 4 Sherman.  Previously, I was carrying a Veto Pro Pac LT.

The Pro Pac is for sale.  I also have a Real Deal Brazil Sling Pack for sale.

Offline thirtydaZe

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2014, 11:45:21 AM »
thanks for the suggestions.   looks like the 511 is close to what i'd be after.

had never even heard of a sneaky peat, but don't think that's quite what i want.

as far as not having your gun on your person, not much a fan myself either, this would be for work strictly, only days i can't find sufficient cover with clothing.  i'm in a position where i can have a bag, whatever at my station.  i'm either with it, or it's safe as we work in a small tight knit environment.

last season i carried my smith 442 in a pocket holster, which isn't a bad idea again really, as an alternative to a pack, but i love carrying my shield.

maybe it's time for a discussion about a good .380 and a pocket holster instead, i prefer my 442 to be in my vehicle.

Offline Laufen

• Post approval required
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2017, 10:18:47 AM »
I'm not even sure what i'm looking for to be exact, i'm just finding myself at work, today, a day that wearing a sweater would be to hot.  I have to be in pants and a tucked shirt, and CCing is just to awkward here, unless i can have an untucked shirt, aka, a sweater.

I rarely wear a coat, as i have to be outside for about a 10 yard walk from my truck to the building, but today i grabbed a coat so i could carry my Shield in it's pocket.

I'm thinking what i'm looking for is something that i could for the most part keep in my truck, perhaps have some emergency items in it, along with a weapon, but still not look to odd me carrying it into the job.

i checked the edc forums but nothing really jumped out at me, just curious if anyone shares a similar dilemma, and has anything good for me to consider.
Take a look at Maxpedition Packs.  They'll have a solution.

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2020, 10:16:30 PM »
What's wrong with a nice professional looking briefcase, the Secret Service carried their UZI SMGs in it. I think it would have room for your gun and lunch etc.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger