< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Trap Shooting at ENGC Tomorrow 12/11 and Saturday 12/13  (Read 738 times)

Offline LeeM

• NFOA Full Member
Trap Shooting at ENGC Tomorrow 12/11 and Saturday 12/13
« on: December 10, 2014, 01:22:41 PM »
I finally found something to get SFG moving a little earlier than usual, so , we'll be shooting pheasants in Arlington Ne tomorrow, we'll see if we get him down there for Saturday's shoot.

See ya'll there Saturday, weather permitting.

LeeM
01 Firearms Dealer
Buy-Sell-Trade-Transfers
Q MAX Products Dealer

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Re: Trap Shooting at ENGC Tomorrow 12/11 and Saturday 12/13
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 05:37:35 PM »

When I agreed to go, I thought we were gonna go shoot peasants!

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 08:13:19 PM »
Peasants might shoot back :P

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 10:13:06 PM »
Peasants might shoot back

Don't they use pruning hooks, scythes, flails...... stuff like that??

Actually, we're going to a place called Pheasant Bonanza.   Or some such.  A pheasant-shooting preserve.  My head keeps telling me, "It's birds in a barrel".   

Which kinda bumps up against my free-chase sporting instincts.   But I've never been to one of these places and it's about time I did go check it out.  We'll see wot's wot.

Coupla guys in the party have dogs.
  It's always an experience to watch the dogs work.  Hope they are Good Ones.  Which is rare.  Most dogs can do the basic stuff:   find birds and get "birdy".   

Only a few birds dogs really do it right.   Staunch to flush and shot, fetch on voice command is pretty rare.   Mostly it's flush and chase.

I had a German Wirehaired Pointer that liked to hunt even more than I.  Which is sayin' somethin'.  He did everything right up to the time to bring the bird back.  I'd say, "Fetch" and that hard-headed so-and-so would just stand and stare at me with the bird in his mouth. 

When I finally gave up and started working toward him, he would start slow-chomping the bird.  One chomp for each step I took.  By the time I got up to him, all that was left was a gummy, slobbery mess.  Still, I loved that Damned Dog.

Next bird dog I get, gonna name him Bad Dog.  Right from the very start.  No point in working up to it slow.

That's All For Now.

Full report on the Great Pheasant Hunt tomorrow.

sfg
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 10:15:46 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline LeeM

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 08:15:14 AM »
Actually, it was Little Creek in Arlington, and I thought things went pretty well, I'd do it again.
The clubhouse was very nice, felt good to just sit and look at all the mounts and murals.
Walking was easy, unless you ventured to cross the creeks, birds sat tight, dogs worked well for being young pups, but my experience with hunting over dogs is very little, I think this makes twice.
I think it was 19 birds released, 12 shot, we only missed 2, I believe, and didn't find the others.

Fun time.

LeeM
01 Firearms Dealer
Buy-Sell-Trade-Transfers
Q MAX Products Dealer