< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: 104 yard shot stops gunman in Austin Tx  (Read 1113 times)

Offline SANDHILLBILLY

• NFOA Full Member
If you lose one sense, the other senses become enhanced.  Sorta like when someone has no sense of humor....their sense of  self inportance is greatly increased.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Re: 104 yard shot stops gunman in Austin Tx
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 05:11:36 PM »
Shades of.......

Tom Mix, Roy Rogers, Hopalong Cassidy, Gene Autry, Hoot Gibson, Johnny Mack Brown...........

They did it every Saturday afternoon at the movies.  And their six-shooters never needed to be reloaded.

Glad to see the Texas Tradition lives on.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 05:26:23 PM »
Shades of.......

Tom Mix, Roy Rogers, Hopalong Cassidy, Gene Autry, Hoot Gibson, Johnny Mack Brown...........

They did it every Saturday afternoon at the movies.  And their six-shooters never needed to be reloaded.....

More like sixty-shooters!   :D

Offline DenmanShooter

• NFOA Full Member
  • Fear No Evil
    • SolidRed
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 07:21:56 PM »
I did not know an AK-47 and a 22 were "long range" rifles until I read the article.

Who knew?  I always thought they were short to medium range rifles.

I guess I should take my 22 out and see if I can reach out to 1000 or 2000 yards effectively with it.

Kudos to the ranger, though.  That was one lucky shot.
The golf course is a willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range!      Jeff  Cooper

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline Waltherfan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 10:11:33 AM »
Makes me wonder. Article kind of implies the officer only fired one shot. May not be the case as media rarely gets it right. If it is correct, why would he chance an offhand shot? Unless of course he practices that shot a lot.

Offline RedDot

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 11:52:56 AM »
Maybe it's part of Holder's new police training protocols that stresses shots to the legs and arms instead of center mass?  Thus far no confirmation he fired back over his shoulder while looking into a mirror... 8)

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2014, 02:46:36 PM »
Wow. When I first heard of this I assumed it was a rifle, not a .40 S&W handgun.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2014, 05:56:13 PM »
Yeah...well...uhmmmm...I'm not too sure. 

1) DON't TRUST ANYTHING YOU READ FROM THE MEDIA!

2) Even if this is the correct story as provided by the police spokesperson, sometimes the police agencies exaggerate or let you believe a slight variation on the truth so that the public has more confidence in the LEO's.  If I were a LEO, I would want people to believe I was some Rambo expert shot.  Less likely that BG's will want to shoot it out with you.

3) 100+ yards with a pistol?  Maybe the officer practiced this kind of shot, but...  How many people, let alone LEOs, practice such a thing?

I'm thinking either incredibly lucky or there is more to the story than has been (or will be) reported.

But that's the skeptic in me.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2014, 03:55:44 AM »
I figgered the officer had been watchin Impossible Shots and saw Miss Julie Golob make a 100 yard pistol shot ,with a M&P SHIELD 9mm, no less.  A longer barreled .40, with a presumably flatter trajectory? Sounds feasible to me.
Ive done 200 yard shot with my 4" model 28, and Lord knows I don't practice much at all.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Mntnman

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2014, 08:58:03 AM »
I hit a gallon jug at 100 yards the first time I tried it with my FNX-45, but I used 2 hands. That floored my buddies! They said "Do it again!" so I did, on the 5th shot. All of my misses were very close, they would have hit a person. I haven't tried it with my M&P 40 yet, but I will. I do know that I shoot my M&P very well instinctively without using the sights.

When I shoot one handed, I always want to roll it over and grab my package. I don't throw the bullets, though. ;D

Offline penname

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2014, 12:22:18 PM »
I attended API 499 at Gunsite decades ago and got to try the "Scrambler" a few times. Steel targets ranging between 80 and 105 yards and you ran between stations to get the old heartbeat up. The last station was actually up in a tree. I won't say I got all first shot hits but I did hit all the targets. I shot a Glock 19 with surplus NATO ammo.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2014, 03:20:15 PM »
I'm not saying it can't be done. But the whole one shot, strong hand only, while holding onto horses thing is making me think there is more to this story. It might have happened just like the media says, but they left off one giant, important fact...the amount of luck for this to happen.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum