< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Shooting areas off limits.  (Read 1730 times)

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline on the fritz

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Shooting areas off limits.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 12:11:34 PM »
I have never been to nor know where those 3 areas are but isn't where the NG&PC suggests we shoot is pistol and small bore only?

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 12:17:34 PM »
I occasionally hunt at the first two places, Just north and a little west of Lincoln.
Don't know the other one.
But of course- don't shoot for free, come to our new huge facility and shoot for a fee, and yes, as far as I know, it is pistol and smallbore only.
I will be getting ahold of the G&P inquiring about the Sight In Ranges we donated to.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
Target shooting nixed at 3 Nebraska public areas
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 01:36:33 PM »
http://www.ketv.com/news/target-shooting-nixed-at-3-nebraska-public-areas/30103742

The ban on target shooting at Little Salt Creek and Little Salt Creek West wildlife management areas and at Helmuth Public Access Area began Tuesday.

Officials say target shooting has been banned for safety concerns.

I posted a link to this on Greg Wagner's FB page to try to get more info.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 03:59:23 PM »
Greg Wagner wouldn't elaborate. Says we should E-mail Pat Molini at Game and Parks in Lincoln: Pat.Molini@Nebraska.gov

I sent an email this afternoon, will update when/if I get a reply.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 10:06:54 PM by FarmerRick »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 09:37:00 PM »
I occasionally hunt at the first two places, Just north and a little west of Lincoln.
Don't know the other one.
But of course- don't shoot for free, come to our new huge facility and shoot for a fee, and yes, as far as I know, it is pistol and smallbore only.
I will be getting ahold of the G&P inquiring about the Sight In Ranges we donated to.

Hmm...is hunting still allowed at those places?  Seems like it wouldn't be, if target shooting is banned.

Offline Dakafall

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 02:20:50 AM »
Hmm...is hunting still allowed at those places?  Seems like it wouldn't be, if target shooting is banned.

I'm originally from SD and that's almost how all the public areas are up there, closed to target shooting but open to hunting.  When I talked to GFP about it some time ago the response I got was that it was due to the amount of trash that was left behind at the areas after people were out target shooting (piles of brass, broken glass bottles, clays, etc)

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 09:41:46 AM »
I'm originally from SD and that's almost how all the public areas are up there, closed to target shooting but open to hunting.  When I talked to GFP about it some time ago the response I got was that it was due to the amount of trash that was left behind at the areas after people were out target shooting (piles of brass, broken glass bottles, clays, etc)

I don't see the issues of clays being left.... They are made to break down over time... Bottles are a issue.  :(

Offline DR4NRA

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 01:39:43 PM »

Yep it is. Non-Toxic shot only. It's a wetlands. Plus it's part of lincoln parks and rec.

http://www.lincoln.ne.gov/city/parks/ParksFacilities/wetlands/lscwma.htm
D.R

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2014, 08:34:02 PM »
Finally got a reply yesterday afternoon. 

Richard,

Thanks for your inquiry regarding the target shooting closure. Neighbors have a concern for safety and noise regarding target shooters on these areas.

It’s difficult to keep Wildlife Management Areas around Lincoln and Omaha open to target shooting due to urban sprawl and the volume of shooters.

The Nebraska Game and Parks Commission shares your concern for places to target shoot. Our agency has a target shooting plan for the state and has constructed some shooting facilities to help address the issue such as Platte River shooting complex and the Outdoor Education Center here in Lincoln. I assure you it’s still an important issue to our Commissioners and we will continue to look for opportunities to better target shooting in Nebraska.

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2014, 02:03:53 AM »
What? No mention of the WMA " sight-in ranges?
I got a shorter reply, but basically the same reasons were cited.  As I said, I have hunted that set of lands. There ARE dwellings uncomfortably close.  One has to be aware of the direction of a shot (heavily wooded in spots). Even the ol Turdy Turdy has a chance at hitting a house.
Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2014, 10:33:53 AM »
WMA's being made of limits for safety reasons is not anything new, over the last 10-15 years we have lost the ability to shoot at several around the State, primarily in the Lincoln/Omaha area's.  That is why we jumped upon the chance to assist the G&P with it's range study and encourage the development of sight in ranges, I believe the people that represented us to the G&P did a great job of showing the need and helping them develop a plan.  The $5,000 we donated for the development of such ranges showed how serious we are about the need, this matched with Federal matching dollars should be able to cover the estimated cost of a range.

Unfortunately he G&P has been poorly funded for several years and projects such as the recently completed Boosalis Park project in Lincoln has not only used up G&P available funds but the limit of Federal Matching Dollars.  With that project completed and the G&P being able to put it's own crews on the project (reducing cost from contracting the work out) I am hopeful that the first of these gets done quickly.

Unfortunately the safety concerns around these areas has grown faster than G&P has been able to develop safe shooting ranges, but we must continue to support and request their construction and getting the first one done will be a stepping stone toward the development of more and I hope the NFOA members and the NFOA will be able to provide financial support to get these important ranges built.  We need more safe places where families can go to practice and learn about firearms safety, with parents passing the family legacy down to their children.

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2014, 02:42:53 PM »
My concern, Andy, is that the Sight in ranges which will be essentially "free" (other than your paid annual park pass) take a (obvious)  back seat to the Pay Per Use facilities like Boosalis and  the Heritage Park at Platte River State Park. We need to stay on them to be sure they don't fall thru the cracks.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2014, 03:36:42 PM »
My concern, Andy, is that the Sight in ranges which will be essentially "free" (other than your paid annual park pass) take a (obvious)  back seat to the Pay Per Use facilities like Boosalis and  the Heritage Park at Platte River State Park. We need to stay on them to be sure they don't fall thru the cracks.

I agree with that statement Jeremy, but the shock that I have heard around the Net about these closing really shows how little people pay attention to what has been an issue for quite a while.  The strangest thing I have seen is a couple of people that highly criticized the NFOA's donation to get the sight in ranges started (one even said he would never donate to the NFOA again) are making comments where they are completely shocked that this could happen and being highly critical of the G&P.

The NFOA board has tried to look into the future and see challenges that we will face as shooters and look for things we can do today to alleviate or head off the pain these problems cause.  This is not only with looking at what laws will effect us but also seeing that retaining and recruiting new shooters and places to hunt and shoot as being important to maintaining our traditions, values and history.