< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Shooting Pheasants at a Game Bird Farm  (Read 2142 times)

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Shooting Pheasants at a Game Bird Farm
« on: December 11, 2014, 05:13:07 PM »
So Here's What Happened:

Last report, I thought our small group of five was going to Pheasant Bonanza in Tekamah.   But it turned out that we actually went this morning to Little Creek Game Bird Farm in Arlington, NE. 

Dalvin and Betty Scheer are the nice Nebraska farm folks who run the operation.

As stated earlier elsewhere, I had never hunted a pheasant farm and had some prior concern about fair-chase hunting.   But.... need not have worried, because that's pretty much exactly what it wuz.

Turned out to be a very interesting event.  We gathered at their lodge game room, which was full of photos, stuffed critters, and a wide range of other shooting memorabilia.   We were asked to show our current NE hunting licenses and sign the usual shooting sports waivers.

While thus engaged, Dalvin put out 19 pheasants (10 hens; 9 roosters) into the field as our quarry.  We then drove out to the field, passing Dalvin, who was on the way back.   We parked, loaded up shotguns, and took off on our hunt.  Our dogs were German Shorthairs, a two year old and a six-month pup.

From that point on, the experience was just like any other field hunt over dogs.   As we walked, the dogs worked the field and found the birds, which tended to be skittery and move a lot.   We had regular flushes, regular shots (and usual misses), and some very good retrieves, a couple from several hundred yards distance.

We flushed 11 of the 19 planted birds.  Bagged 9 birds.  Came back to the lodge for lunch.  Ate our chili and snackers in the excellent company of the owners.  Cleaned the birds.  Took some pictures.  I drifted out to the pheasant pens to check out the live birds, which was a very interesting aspect of the visit.   Pheasants are one of the more beautiful birds.

Then we said goodbye all around and came home.

Cost of that experience was $75, total.   Not counting a small bit of gasoline and the 23-year old 12ga reloads that I burned in the process.

So that's the story and I'm sticking to it.   A nice way to spend the morning.

sfg
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 05:15:39 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline DenmanShooter

• NFOA Full Member
  • Fear No Evil
    • SolidRed
Re: Shooting Pheasants at a Game Bird Farm
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 07:25:58 PM »
That is a great story.  Makes me want to try it.

The golf course is a willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range!      Jeff  Cooper

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 08:40:45 PM »
No peasants  :'(

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 09:08:37 PM »
The peasants were surly.

So I left them alone.

Had my hands full shooting at those tricky flying critters.   And avoiding potshots at the bird dogs.

And I'm thinkin' that there must be a heckuva lotta left-over pheasants running around all the neighboring farmlands.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 09:18:12 AM »
Sounds like a good day.  Of course, pretty much any day spent in the field is a good day.

For future reference, a friend of mine - and, I happen to know, a good customer of Moeller Arms - is the owner of Pheasant Bonanza.  He's a good guy too.