< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Omaha handgun registration  (Read 1332 times)

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
Omaha handgun registration
« on: December 13, 2014, 06:45:32 PM »
My uncle is not a huge gun enthusist but enjoys going to the range now and then with his 22a. He has been to a couple of indoor ranges in Omaha in the past. He went and shoot with my dad this weekend and we're discussing there range visit when I realized he had been taking a unregistered hand gun into Omaha.

So my question is since he purchased the gun at Cabelas did his 22a get registered or does he need to register to bring it in the city to shoot it?

Offline jFader

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Omaha handgun registration
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 06:58:49 PM »
Which indoor ranges did he go to in Omaha? Bullet Hole is in Lavista & Take Aim is in Bellevue.  I believe he would take the info on the gun in a case <unloaded> to OPD headquarters to register it. There is something on their website. 

Hopefully 'state preemption' is in our future & we can live like free men & women again!
The 2nd Amendment is not open for debate!

NRA Member
SAF Life Member
Proud NFOA Member

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 07:36:05 PM »
Registration is an issue only within Omaha city limits. As mentioned, both the Bullet Hole and Take Aim lie outside Omaha. If your uncle lives within Omaha or travels though it on his way to the range, he is required to register his handgun with OPD and should do so to avoid legal difficulties. See if you can talk him into getting a concealed carry permit. Even if he has no intention of carrying, a permit makes possession and transport much more convenient.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 11:16:57 PM »
You guys are right he has always gone to TA and BH to shoot. I always think of Omaha as one big place... [emoji33]

Not sure if he would get his CCP or not. If he gets a center fire gun he might consider it but for what he has now he will be fine. I will just make sure he knows to stay out of Omaha. Lincoln is nicer anyways [emoji3] .

Offline DenmanShooter

• NFOA Full Member
  • Fear No Evil
    • SolidRed
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 04:42:26 PM »
Pretty sure there is FEDERAL law, not to mention some local and state meanderings about the subject of being allowed to TRANSPORT a firearm.

Also I am surprised you didn't take a lot of flack about calling LaVista and etc "Omaha" .   :)

The golf course is a willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range!      Jeff  Cooper

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 08:11:30 PM »
... there is FEDERAL law ... about ... being allowed to TRANSPORT a firearm

You're correct. Unfortunately, there are states and cities (New York state and New York City are examples) who refuse to obey this law. If found with a firearm inside their borders, you will be charged. I suspect you could beat the charge but the states/cities are so stubborn that you would have to take it to the US Supreme Court. Since few people have enough money, or a rich backer, to cover the legal expenses, they continue to get away with it.

Until recently, one had to be a US citizen to register a handgun in Omaha or to obtain a Nebraska concealed carry permit. Effectively, this barred that legal resident aliens from possessing handguns in Omaha or carrying legally. It took lawsuits, supported by NFOA, to get both overturned. To their credit, Omaha and Nebraska didn't put up much of a fight when challenged.

Iowa has a strong state firearm pre-emption law. Lower levels of government are prohibited from enacting ordinances more restrictive than state law. That does't stop them from trying. The Iowa Firearms Coalition (www.iowacarry.org) is the NFOA's counterpart in Iowa. If you look at their web site, you will observe an ongoing guerilla war with local governments that try to place illegal additional restrictions on firearms.

One sees that same behavior with respect to traffic cameras. There are states in which cameras are forbidden by state law. That doesn't stop some cities from putting them up and collecting a fortune in fines.

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 10:58:46 AM »
It's amazing how so many of those who make law think they are above the law. 
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 04:51:45 PM »
IIRC, the Firearms Owners' Protection Act (FOPA) only applies if the transport of the firearm meets certain requirements. One of those is that the gun must cross state lines.