< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: SYG/Castle doctrine/retreat  (Read 2156 times)

Offline rnbones

• NFOA Full Member
SYG/Castle doctrine/retreat
« on: December 16, 2014, 08:00:48 AM »
What is the law regarding use of deadly force as of today 12-16-2014. Example-I'm leaving an establishment after hours (I have a right to be there) and as the door locks behind me I see a man with a gun coming at me. What are my responsibilities?
If you can read this thank a teacher, because it is in English thank a soldier.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Re: SYG/Castle doctrine/retreat
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 08:39:06 AM »
Well, you're off to a good start.

You perceived a potential threat.

Now you have to assess and address the threat.
   And Very Quickly.   (You're already a little bit behind the power curve because you shoulda thought about the threat before you opened the door.  Maybe just a bit, while you poked your head out just enough to see.  Then you coulda pulled back, shut the door and the suspect woulda been locked out.  And you'd be safe.)

Possibilities to consider:
The "man with a gun" may be a Fellow Forum Member who is simply open carrying.  Or the man may be going to the gunsmith next door.  He may be a police officer responding to a call (in which case, he may think that You are the perp.)  He may be George Zimmerman on neighborhood patrol.  He might be a private security guard.

You've got to sort it all out quickly.  Instantly.

If the gun is pointed at you, then the situation clarifies.
  Now you fear for your life or great bodily harm.

Question:  Do You have a firearm or defensive weapon with you?  (You didn't say.)

If so, you might consider accessing your weapon during the nanosecond that you have.

Now, If the gun is pointed at you or if the man makes any kind of aggressive act, then you've got to instantly decide whether to (a) retreat or (b) defend yourself, possibly with any lethal force that you have available.

If you can retreat and know that you can do so with safety, then Nebraska law requires you to do so.

If you cannot retreat and you fear death or great bodily harm (and you'll have to have some kind of very strong reason in court), then you may use lethal force.

How Much? Enough to stop the attack.  You don't want to kill anybody.   You just want to stop the attack.  When the attack is over, go to an immediate safe space (if available), call 911, stow your defensive device (if applicable), have your hands empty, and await law enforcement.

When the LEOs arrive, tell them that a self-defense event has taken place, give them your name and address, tell them that you need legal counsel to determine your rights before you make a formal statement ("lawyer up"), and say no more.

Most likely, you'll be handcuffed and taken to jail.   All the LEOs know is that two guys with guns (if you had one) were blazing away, one is down, so take one to the hospital (or morgue) and the other to jail until it all gets sorted out.

That's just the Beginning.

sfg
[BTWCastle Doctrine probably won't apply here, unless the door is your own front door or the door of your workplace.  Even then it starts to get gray because you are outside, not inside.]

« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 09:35:38 AM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 11:18:24 AM »
Scroll to the Nebraska section and you shall have a MOST comprehensive answer.  Mitch Vilos provide commentary.  In fact, buy the 2013 2nd edition of his book. 

https://books.google.com/books?id=R5fyex1mcqMC&lpg=PT156&ots=09FaGcnYLv&dq=Neb%20Rev.%20St%2028-1416&pg=PT156#v=onepage&q=Neb%20Rev.%20St%2028-1416&f=false

Offline rnbones

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 12:39:39 PM »
Semper Fi Guy- Semper Fi Marine! As an FMF Corpsman and an EMT I understand scene safety. You answered one of my questions. In Nebraska you have the duty to retreat, if you can. How about in your home/ car/ Garage? Do we have any kind of civil protection if we have to use deadly force? I was a little vague in my first question. In the situation I had in mind the doorway is recessed and looking down the street isn't possible until you are well away from the door, but your suggestion is correct.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 12:49:14 PM »
SFG did a very good job of telling the story based upon your example.  Outside your home/place of employment (and that includes just being outside the door, standing on your front porch, included as outside the home.  Standing in an unattached garage that is also outside your home; an attached garage, have a good attorney.) you must retreat if you know you safely can do so.  So does that mean what you "know," by the written law yes but by court precedence no. The Nebraska Supreme Court has inserted the "Reasonable Man" into this scenario which was rejected by the Legislature at the time of writing Nebraska's self defense statutes.  So weather you need to retreat or not is not based upon what you know (or knew) but what a "Reasonable Man" in your situation knows or should have known.  So be prepared to show that you could not retreat or someone can and will be second guessing if you could.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 01:03:01 PM by AAllen »

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 12:57:46 PM »
Semper Fi Guy- Semper Fi Marine! As an FMF Corpsman and an EMT I understand scene safety. You answered one of my questions. In Nebraska you have the duty to retreat, if you can. How about in your home/ car/ Garage? Do we have any kind of civil protection if we have to use deadly force? I was a little vague in my first question. In the situation I had in mind the doorway is recessed and looking down the street isn't possible until you are well away from the door, but your suggestion is correct.

Castle Doctrine - Duty to retreat inside ones home (Nebraska includes place of employment), In Nebraska there is no duty to retreat as long as you are under "Reasonable Fear" for your life, from immanent bodily harm, rape, or kidnap.

Stand Your Ground - Duty to retreat outside ones home (not some states this includes the entire home place, yard and unattached structures, in Nebraska it does not), yes you must retreat if you know you can do so safely (see above comments about the "Reasonable Man").

Civil Protections - We have limited Civil Protections, they are not as good as we tried to get but recently we have heard from some Self Defense Lawyers (Writers, educators) that feel we have fairly good protections.  They have not been tested in court so there is that, of course we could find no record of anyone being sued for a self defense situation in Nebraska before we got these so that does not say a lot.

Offline rnbones

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 01:03:44 PM »
Thank you everyone for your replies. It clears up some questions. I, like most people, hope I never have to find out how good our laws are. If I use a little common sense I likely never will.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 01:05:47 PM »
If I use a little common sense I likely never will.

Candidate for comment of the day.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 01:08:43 PM »
SFG was in the Corps back when CAPT Crunch was an Ensign .....

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 05:13:46 PM »
[quote]SFG was in the Corps back when CAPT Crunch was an Ensign .....[/quote]

And when General Electric was a Shiny-New-Bars Boot Lieutenant.
===========================================================
BTW, rnbones:

If you were a Fleet Marine Force Corpsman, you were One of Us.

I went to school once at Camp Del Mar, between Hwy 101 and the Pacific Ocean, attached to Camp Pendleton.   There was an HMC School there also.   Used to see the HMC School staff walking around everywhere.   

Never saw so many personal combat decorations (Bronze Stars, Silver Stars, and Purple Hearts--and an occasional Navy Cross)--so densely distributed among such a small group of military personnel in my life.

Semper Fi!

sfg
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 05:17:56 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer