< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: CCW defense rounds  (Read 876 times)

Offline RailJockey

• Forum Member
CCW defense rounds
« on: December 13, 2014, 06:54:14 PM »
Anyone have any experience with these rounds?  They look really good, and the reviews were good as well. Let me know any failure to feed, failure to eject....etc.  9mm compared to this .45.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
Re: CCW defense rounds
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 07:12:41 PM »
Great stuff. Its the relabeled Winchester SXT relabeled Black Talon.  Ayoob speaks very highly of its lethality from their testing on wild hogs in Florida.  I've shot a lot of it in 9 mm 40 and .45 with nary a problem.  When I say alot about 200 rounds each of the aforementioned calibers.  I carry in 40 S&W
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 07:14:58 PM by bullit »

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 08:19:36 PM »
I don't have any experience with the brand/model you are asking about.  There are many good SD rounds out there.  Personally I became partial to Federal HST after seeing a few reviews on it.  Good penetration, excellent mass retention, and great expansion.  This YouTube channel seems to be pretty good from what I have seen.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAWFWuY7JafjZNE_dG8BshA

Here is his review on the particular brand/model you are asking about.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 10:10:14 PM »
The important thing to consider is...

does it function flawlessly in your gun?

I use Speer GoldDots and Federal HST in .45 ACP, and HST in 9mm, but I stocked up back when high quality SD ammo was plentiful.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline mott555

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 10:44:11 AM »
As always, get a box and shoot them all to make sure there are no issues with your gun. Wouldn't be fun to need it and then find your particular handgun doesn't cycle properly with that round.

Which reminds me, I really need to try out the Hornady Critical Defense 9mm rounds I've always carried but never actually tested.  :laugh:

Offline BJT123

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 02:01:35 AM »
I've shot a fair bit of this in both 45 and 380 ACP.  Never had any issues/failures to feed/etc.