< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: something to think about,  (Read 882 times)

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
something to think about,
« on: December 22, 2014, 10:10:33 PM »
  maybe some of you don't know who Paul Harvey is, I started listening to him back about 1972, he had a 15 min talk show, every day at noon, man was way ahead of his time, back then he was called the most trusted man in America,

more by Joe Friday,

Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
Re: something to think about,
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 09:56:53 AM »
Excellent videos!

There are about 765,000 sworn police officers (those with the power of arrest) in the US today.  Each year about 400 die in the line of duty.  That's 0.05%.   Each year about 400 justifiable shootings by police take place.  That's also about 0.05%.  A few justifiable shootings are rightly contested, like the following:
http://www.policestateusa.com/2013/police-kill-80-year-old-man-in-his-bed-after-claiming-his-house-smelled-like-meth/
Police seemed to have difficulty getting the story straight about when and where Mr. Mallory was shot.   An initial report claimed that he was shot in his hallway while charging at police, and was moved by paramedics into his bed after being shot.   But later that story changed when the shooter admitted during an internal investigation that Mallory was not charging at him at the time of the shooting.

In fact, audio recordings of the event show that commands to drop the gun were given after the bullets were fired, contrary to officers’ initial statements.

“He was shot in his bed before there was any warning given,”...

Hard of hearing and nearly blind without his glasses, the gun he had supposedly pointed at the officer was still laying on  the bed stand, along with his glasses.

The problems are exacerbated when the police attempt to cover up wrong doing on the part of the officer or blame the victim, as in the case of the 80 year old man, a retired engineer who supported the police and fire departments. 

There is a bigger problem when people began using the "pig" paint brush to paint the other 725,000 honest officers and their departments.

Part of the problem is that city officials don't vet the chiefs they hire, and those chiefs don't vet the officers they hire, and when problems arise the chiefs and city officials want to make sure that the blow back doesn't hit them.

While I was teaching in a town HS I was asked to assist the town marshal as a deputy.   I got to know the town marshal fairly well and wasn't encouraged by what I knew.  With his badge he felt he had the right to spy on citizens and keep a dossier their comings and goings.  Things got worse when the state passed a law saying that marshals had to have training at the academy in Grand Island.    He attended.  One week he came back and told me about one class taught by an FBI guest instructor.  He said that the instructor repeatedly used the word "wasted" when talking about shooting bad guys.   He told me "I can't wait to waste my first bad guy!".   I almost quit then.   A few weeks later he called and said he didn't feel well and asked if I would take his shift.  I was the tallest guy in town and the only one driving a Mazda wankle powered SUV.  Hard to mis-identify me.   I drove into his drive way.  Through my car window I could see through his screen door.  He was setting in his recliner.  We made eye contact.  I walked up to the door and knocked.  He feigned surprise and whipped out his 9mm Espana and pointed it at me.  I nearly wet my  pants.   I drove his shift and quit when I got back.   Later the city fathers heard about his spying and fired him.  Apparently he tried to extort one of the leading citizens about a tryst.   The only problem was that he was the only  one in town who wasn't aware of it.  He went on to another town where he made national news for giving himself a ticket for having a horse in his basement.

Unlike Congressmen,  where 95% give the other 5% a bad name, 95.95% of LEOs are honorable, honest men.  That's a percentage that far exceeds any other profession, I suspect.

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 10:01:49 AM »
I was always partial to this one.

Paul definitely was one of a kind, and a great man.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 10:39:45 AM »
Paul Harvey had a short radio msg called "The Rest of the Story".   His accounts filled in what the MNM left out of a lot of stories.   Of course, the NYT and other left wing sources called him a "right-winger".

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 10:56:27 AM »
 this one still makes me feel bad, My dad was a Fireman, he was a captain in Omaha, I used to complain that he was gone so much, being young. I didn't understand what he did, I found his scrap book after he passed away, he had all kinds of news paper clipping of fires he had been at, there was a big chemical plant fire late 60,s I think, almost half the firemen who fought that fired died of the same kind of rare cancer including my Dad,
    I took the book to the cemetery and looked at it with him, finially understood why e did what he did,

Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 10:59:20 AM »
Remember when they were looking for someone to fill his shoes, his son was on once and  awhile, Huckabee does the best he can but it's not the same, Huckabee is more of a Limbaugh, I do like Huckabee but he's no Paul Harvey. Paul had a way of telling a story that had everyone on pins and needles, glued to the radio waiting for the  rest of the story after
some words from the sponsors. He was more like, I think since it was before my time, a radio personality before the advent of TV.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 11:23:47 AM »
Sorry Shooter, I think I posted that at the same time.

Sorry for the loss of your father, he sounded like a great man.

Offline grumpy old man

• NFOA Full Member
    • Stand Up For It !
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 12:08:15 PM »
my nephew is a policeman.  It was very strange for me to think of him as a policeman because he is so very tenderhearted.  He is a very sensitive man.  Dont get me wrong he doesnt go around crying but he is very sensitive to other peoples needs.  I have read several stories from his cities newspapers where he has caught more bad guys doing bad things than most other officers who have been there years longer.  I asked him how that is and he said God's grace.  He puts him in spots to protect people who couldnt protect themselves or their family and he was glad he was put in their place because he could protect them.  I served in the military and understood what he was saying.  I pray for his safety everyday!
"One man with courage is a majority." Thomas Jefferson

“The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” Thomas Jefferson