< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Glock (or Kilo Lima) Trigger Issue After Reassembly  (Read 4057 times)

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
Glock (or Kilo Lima) Trigger Issue After Reassembly
« on: December 23, 2014, 11:00:38 PM »
I know we have a lot of Glock owners/experts here so I am going to ask my question from the perspective of Glock maintenance since my superior Kilo Lima is nearly identical in function.

I reassembled my pistol after doing the $0.25 trigger job and it appeared to go back together normally.  I dry fired it several times and it all seemed ok, though the trigger did not seem improved.  This was a disappointment after my efforts.  Then I shot the matches Saturday, Sunday, and Monday.  At the last match I noticed that the trigger was incredibly (maybe not so much if I were a NY LEO) hard to pull.  It would lighten up for a few trigger pulls, but then return to a heavy pull.  It fired & functioned fine.  Just the trigger was F'd up. 

So now I'm thinking to myself "Self, you are in SO much trouble when Chris Z. finds out because he will scold you and say 'Don't F with a Glock'".  Though my gun is the Kilo Lima, I'm sure he would have the same stern advice.

So tonight, in an effort to determine the problem before Chris Z. finds out, I stripped the gun down to the trigger components.  I looked it over and found nothing that looked unusual.  I read a Glock owner's similar problems with a G19 and looked at the item suggested, but it all looked good.  Put the gun back together, and the only thing I noticed is that the pins seemed to slide in easier than the last time I reassembled it.

Now the trigger is working great and feels like the $0.25 trigger job improvement that I was looking for. 

Does anyone have a guess what I could have done wrong in the assembly or any other ideas WTF was going on?

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
Re: Glock (or Kilo Lima) Trigger Issue After Reassembly
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 07:13:56 AM »
I'm guessing you put the trigger spring in backwards...... It should look like a "S" going in. If it looks like a "Z" it will bind up

PS- I won't tell Chris Z.

Nothing wrong with a $0.25 trigger job. Just don't put any crappy aftermarket parts in the gun, ESPECIALLY lighter springs and the gun will still work great  :-)

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 09:31:00 AM »
I'm guessing you put the trigger spring in backwards...... It should look like a "S" going in. If it looks like a "Z" it will bind up

That's exactly what I was going to say.

[Nothing wrong with a $0.25 trigger job. Just don't put any crappy aftermarket parts in the gun, ESPECIALLY lighter springs and the gun will still work great  :-)

No, no----Greg should put in LOTS of aftermarket parts in an attempt to get the lightest possible trigger pull.  And a 9-pound recoil spring. 

He is competing against the rest of us, after all.    >:D
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2014, 09:54:15 AM »

That is the suggestion I read elsewhere.  So I pulled the pins, removed the trigger assembly (trigger, trigger bar, housing, etc.) and looked it over paying special attention to the trigger spring.  I disconnected the trigger spring from the trigger bar and reinstalled.  I thought I put it back together the same way as I found it.  However, the fact that the trigger now works normally tells me that I must have put it together incorrectly after my trigger work.

Fly

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, 09:59:56 AM »
No, no----Greg should put in LOTS of aftermarket parts in an attempt to get the lightest possible trigger pull.  And a 9-pound recoil spring. 

He is competing against the rest of us, after all.   

See...It's comments like this that make me realize I am recognized as a threat.  I may be scoring mediocre now, but jthhapkido is obviously acknowledging that my current pace of improvement puts me on schedule to be a REAL threat by the time I'm 80.

Fly

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2014, 10:01:39 AM »
By the way, if you hadn't already read between the lines, this thread was really a thinly veiled attempt at excusing my poor performance at the last three matches.

Fly
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 10:47:07 AM by OnTheFly »

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2014, 10:03:43 AM »
Just take the trigger spring out and run without one..... That will help instill your trigger reset everytime

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2014, 10:10:18 AM »
Just take the trigger spring out and run without one..... That will help instill your trigger reset everytime

That will get you killed on the streets.  :)
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2014, 10:18:09 AM »
Maybe in the Croatian Thingee.... But the Glock will still work without the trigger spring.... If you know the secret trick :-)

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2014, 10:18:30 AM »
GARY !!!! ....  A little help for our buddy Fly would be appreciated.  I question the above recommendations .....

Offline Gunscribe

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2014, 08:54:32 PM »
But the Glock will still work without the trigger spring.... If you know the secret trick :-)

I know the secret trick!
Sidearms Training Academy
La Luz, NM

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2014, 10:30:36 PM »
Maybe in the Croatian Thingee.... But the Glock will still work without the trigger spring.... If you know the secret trick :-)

I didn't know the secret trick...until I removed the trigger spring and found out what it would do. 

Fly
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 12:38:23 AM by OnTheFly »

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2014, 03:32:24 AM »
I don't wanna know the secret trick.  I believe that's how SkyNet becomes aware in 2075. 
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2014, 09:46:47 PM »
Glad you posted this fly. It made me Google the .25 cent trigger job. It will get done on mine at some point when I have the free time to detail strip things and polish them up. Thanks

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2014, 12:46:19 AM »
Glad you posted this fly. It made me Google the .25 cent trigger job. It will get done on mine at some point when I have the free time to detail strip things and polish them up. Thanks

Basically the $0.25 trigger job just speeds up the break-in process.  Chris Z showed me two G42s side-by-side.  One was new and the other was well used.  There was a huge difference between the smoothness and weight of the trigger pull, or at least the perceived trigger pull was lighter due to the well worn parts.

One recommendation.  I have read about people using a rotary tool to buff the trigger components, but I just did mine by hand with a rag, some Flitz, and a minimal amount of elbow grease.  I don't see why a rotary tool would even be necessary and could be detrimental in the hands of an overly zealous tinkerer.

Fly

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2014, 05:25:51 AM »
Basically the $0.25 trigger job just speeds up the break-in process.

Just shoot the dang gun more.  It's more fun to break them in that way. :laugh:

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2014, 08:33:31 AM »
Just shoot the dang gun more.  It's more fun to break them in that way. :laugh:

I must have some kind of mental condition that prevents me from not tinkering with things.  ;D

Fly