< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Home Defense - Budget Shotguns - which one?  (Read 5016 times)

Offline zofoman

• NFOA Full Member
Home Defense - Budget Shotguns - which one?
« on: December 26, 2014, 10:47:04 AM »
I'm looking at budget priced (ok, cheap/$250 or less) home defense shotguns. 
Been doing some internet searching and the results are somewhat overwhelming (the youtube world is an interesting resource). 
There quite a few options out there with some foreign brands that I've not heard of until now and though cheap, some have had good reviews.   
I already have an assortment of nice shotguns so, I'm not a novice in that regard and I do understand the concept of quality versus reliability versus dollar relationship. 

So, what I'm wondering is what can the good folks of this forum offer up for recommendations in this low cost category ?   
Right now, I'm leaning toward the Savage/Stevens 320SEC.

A few examples: 
http://www.slickguns.com/product/savage-arms-stevens-320sec-12-ga-185-barrel-190-shipped
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/73/products_id/78651

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/37/products_id/714008125/Shotguns/ASI%20PUMP%20ACTION%20PASIMAX%2012GA%2018.5%20BLK%204+1/

http://www.deguns.net/Century-Arms-SG2118-N-Tactical-Cheap-p/sg2118n.htm

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/37/products_id/78691/Shotguns/EAA%20SAR%20Pump%2012%20Gauge%203/quot;%20Capacity%2018.5/quot;%20Barrel%20Synthetic/

« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 10:53:08 AM by zofoman »
"What, me worry?"  ~ Alfred E. Neuman

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Home Defense - Budget Shotguns - which one?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 10:56:24 AM »
Wal-Mart offers a H&R that is based on the 870. A friend has one ans he likes it. He put on all that tacticool crap for a 870. The thing I liked the most about it is that you can put any 870 mag tube on it unlike some of the other knock off guns

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 11:49:53 AM »
H&R Pardner Pump Protector (I've seen them cheaper than this.)
http://www.cabelas.com/product/H-R-Pardner-Tactical-Shotgun/1343623.uts

I saw a H&R or Savage/Stevens a while back for $139- I think I posted it in the good deals thread.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 01:40:46 PM »
  look around you can find a good 870 Remington for $250, if you have to get a long barrel, and cut it down.  I don't think there is a better shotgun, I own several of them m used them in 3 gun matches and never had a bit of trouble,
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2014, 02:23:45 PM »
H&R Pardner Pump Protector

That's what I have, in 20 gauge.  (Less recoil than a 12, shoots a 1 oz slug or 00 buck) .  Nice shotgun.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2014, 03:17:48 PM »
I was happy with my Mossberg 500A Persuader.  Pump 12.  Pistol grip only.  Was one of the firearms stolen in the burglary ._.

In the apartment they were taken from - I had specifically chosen pistol grip only with an 18.5" barrel so that it was easier to fit through the narrow doorways of that place.

Would I suggest pistol grip only for a normal place ? No.  PGO takes time to learn how to shoot - and I have a scar from a split lip as a testament :D

I loved that shotty though.
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2014, 04:05:05 PM »
  look around you can find a good 870 Remington for $250, if you have to get a long barrel, and cut it down.  I don't think there is a better shotgun, I own several of them m used them in 3 gun matches and never had a bit of trouble,

That would be my choice also.

Offline jonm

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2014, 06:10:59 PM »
Winchester sxp. iirc, guns unlimited had them for around $250. It's way smoother than any 870, 590, 500, or Nova/Supernova I've used.

Offline Thanke

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2014, 10:12:03 PM »
Remington 870 Compact 20 gauge
13" LOP and 21" ribbed barrel
Add a mag extension just in case
Wife likes the shorter LOP & I can manage
I want to say it is under $350? does that sound right?

Offline zofoman

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2014, 10:47:42 PM »
Thanks for the good input & suggestions.  Having done more research, I'm now leaning toward picking up an old/used 870, cutting the barrel down to 18.5, adding some form of sight, and putting on a modern tactical stock, grip & forearm.  Brownells has a ZOMBIE HUNTER KICKLITE TACTICAL STOCK for $80.   I sort of cringe at the thought of taking a perfectly good long barrel and chopping it down though.   Looks like I'll be at the Lincoln gun show later this month scrounging for bargain table beauties.  A Win 1200/1300 would work too.   

Looking at the new budget priced models out there most all are either made in Turkey or China....some with old traditional manufacturer names (total blasphemy).    I have a hard time knowingly buying anything made in China.  Turkish weapons on the other hand, from what I hear, are fairly decent.  Can't beat US made though, even if its old.   

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2014, 11:32:55 PM »
Having done more research, I'm now leaning toward picking up an old/used 870, cutting the barrel down to 18.5, adding some form of sight, and putting on a modern tactical stock, grip & forearm. 

Chances are, you should be able to find an old police trade-in with the 18.5" barrel.  Plenty of those around.
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2014, 08:20:27 AM »
Just my .02 - aftermarket "Tactical" stocks rarely add anything to a shotgun that improves on what the factory stock can do, unless you're just looking to shorten it up a little.  I've always found a pistol grip stock on a shotgun to be awkward.  I would personally just go with an 18.5" barrel, add a sidesaddle shell carrier, and maybe shorten up the factory stock or add a youth stock.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2014, 08:35:49 AM »
Thanks for the good input & suggestions.  Having done more research, I'm now leaning toward picking up an old/used 870, cutting the barrel down to 18.5, adding some form of sight, and putting on a modern tactical stock, grip & forearm.  Brownells has a ZOMBIE HUNTER KICKLITE TACTICAL STOCK for $80.   I sort of cringe at the thought of taking a perfectly good long barrel and chopping it down though.   Looks like I'll be at the Lincoln gun show later this month scrounging for bargain table beauties.  A Win 1200/1300 would work too.   

Looking at the new budget priced models out there most all are either made in Turkey or China....some with old traditional manufacturer names (total blasphemy).    I have a hard time knowingly buying anything made in China.  Turkish weapons on the other hand, from what I hear, are fairly decent.  Can't beat US made though, even if its old.   

Zofo

Not sure if you are on facebook or not but there have been several 870s and 500 in your price range. Not sure how far you are willing to travel but might be a good place to find a deal. Best of luck.

Offline zofoman

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2014, 05:46:13 PM »
Chances are, you should be able to find an old police trade-in with the 18.5" barrel.  Plenty of those around.

Hadn't thought about those...can't say that I've seen them available.

Just my .02 - aftermarket "Tactical" stocks rarely add anything to a shotgun that improves on what the factory stock can do, unless you're just looking to shorten it up a little.  I've always found a pistol grip stock on a shotgun to be awkward.  I would personally just go with an 18.5" barrel, add a sidesaddle shell carrier, and maybe shorten up the factory stock or add a youth stock.

That is the real reason I was looking at "tactical-something-or other" just to have an overall shortened shottie that can be stored in a variety of locations & not take up much room.  I'm not a fan of the pistol grip only like UNFY mentioned as well.    Like I said in my original post, I have multiple long barreled shotguns already in various ga. (including a couple 870's)...but, being so overly long, they aren't as easy to manouver in close quarters like an AR15.  Secondarily, I wanted something the wife could use and simply point in a general direction without specific aiming.

I don't do Facebook, nor do I twit, tweet or twat....email, texts and forums like this are about as social as I care to get.   ;)

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2014, 06:37:02 PM »
Not sure it fits your criteria exactly but here is a smokin deal on a police trade in. Shouldn't need to modify it either.
https://agsarmament.com/police-trade-in-mossberg-590-12ga

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2014, 09:06:44 PM »
Hadn't thought about those...can't say that I've seen them available.

That is the real reason I was looking at "tactical-something-or other" just to have an overall shortened shottie that can be stored in a variety of locations & not take up much room.  I'm not a fan of the pistol grip only like UNFY mentioned as well.    Like I said in my original post, I have multiple long barreled shotguns already in various ga. (including a couple 870's)...but, being so overly long, they aren't as easy to manouver in close quarters like an AR15.  Secondarily, I wanted something the wife could use and simply point in a general direction without specific aiming.

I don't do Facebook, nor do I twit, tweet or twat....email, texts and forums like this are about as social as I care to get.   ;)

If this is for your wife, have you considered getting her training on an AR?  Honestly, it's a much better self defense weapon.  Less recoil, easier to maneuver, and a 55gr bullet will actually penetrate less through interior walls than 00 Buck.  Plus, at home defense distances you have to aim a shotgun just as much as an AR.  Neither one will hit the target unless you actually aim it.

I don't think a shotgun is bad, but if I had time to grab a long gun in a home defense situation an AR would be my first choice.  I think the big advantage of a shotgun is that they're cheap and many more people are already familiar with them.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2014, 09:09:43 PM »
Have you thought about just getting a short barrel for one of your existing 870's?

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?newcategorydimensionid=18180
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.